Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2012 2.5 Premium
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
As I was pulling into the lot at work after lunch my temp light started flashing red.

I panicked and switched the engine off. There was some steam. Waited and popped the hood. Upper hose clamp seemed to pop.

I know there is a lot out there about the long life fluid and not mixing with standard fluids. So, do I leave my car here tonight and wait and get fluid from a dealership tomorrow? Can I have the coolant flushed next week if I mix them?

My car has 145k miles on it, so I am not too concerned about the warranty.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,293 Posts
Your owners manual will tell you that if you wish to maintain the 'long life' qualities... only add the "Asian Blue" type of antifreeze. This is available at pretty much ANY autoparts store.

If you add the 'green stuff', you will lose the long-life qualities... but you can drive your car.

Personally, if I was in your situation, I would find some DISTILLED WATER (any grocery store has it) and drive the vehicle. Then , as soon as practical, have the cooling system drained, refilled with the "Asian Blue" type of antifreeze. In this way, there is no danger of mixing antifreeze types.

Distilled water will actually keep the engine COOLER than antifreeze.... but does not protect the metal from corrosion....and obviously can freeze inside the engine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts