Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I had this installed by the dealer and they quoted me $110. They said it should take about an 1 1/2 hours. It took a lot longer. Not to the fault of the dealer, but rather from the factory. One of the main connectors for the remote starter was not where it was supposed to be, in fact it was taped into the main harness. took the tech and a few others time to find it. Basically they had to un-tape the main wiring harness to locate the connector then had to tape it all back up. 3 1/2 hours later it was done and cost me $0. The service advisor apologized that it took so long and said it there was no charge. With that being said, the remote starter is nice. Here's some info on the factory remote starter...<O:p></O:p>

1. I did not know it was a two way unit. Meaning when the signal is received to start the vehicle the remote will flash to let you know.
<O:p</O:p

2. 15 minutes of run time the then car shuts down<O:p></O:p>

3. if your doors are unlocked and start the vehicle it locks the doors for you.<O:p></O:p>

4. you can turn off the car with the remote<O:p></O:p>

5. you have to push the remote start button twice within 3 seconds before it will start the vehicle. Nice so I do not pocket start the vehicle accidentally.

6. open any door and it shuts off. I know this annoys many people but it is a safety feature. I know there are ways around it, but this does not bother me.

As for now, that's about it. I have had it for two days now and have not used it but to test it out. I am sure there may be a few things I have left out but overall I am glad to have it installed.

·
Registered
228 Posts
6. open any door and it shuts off. I know this annoys many people but it is a safety feature. I know there are ways around it, but this does not bother me.
Huh?

So you wake up in the morning, start getting ready for work. You hit the remote start button and finish your coffee / newspaper / whatever. Within that 15 minute period, the car is nice and warm. You walk outside, get to your car, open the door and it shuts off? Now you re-start your car?

Something is fishy, here. Especially in cold weather, having to start a second time is not really good for the battery. Not to mention it just being an annoying extra step. Does it only do that if you open the door without unlocking it from the key fob? What is the way around it?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Huh?

So you wake up in the morning, start getting ready for work. You hit the remote start button and finish your coffee / newspaper / whatever. Within that 15 minute period, the car is nice and warm. You walk outside, get to your car, open the door and it shuts off? Now you re-start your car?

Something is fishy, here. Especially in cold weather, having to start a second time is not really good for the battery. Not to mention it just being an annoying extra step. Does it only do that if you open the door without unlocking it from the key fob? What is the way around it?
There is nothing fishy. It is working as designed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is exactly how it works. I just got a 2013 OB with remote starter and the first time I tried it, I opened the door and the engine stopped. I thought it had to be installed incorrectly. I called the dealer just this morning to get clarification. And indeed, it is by design that it functions this way. The idea is that someone can't break into your running and presumably unattended car and take off. One can debate the merits of that, but that's the thought process.

For my case, I don't think I will be starting the car remotely on a daily basis, so it doesn't bother me that much. Also, if I am remote starting the car in the cold, presumably it is so the car warms up (and the battery warms and begins to charge) before I get there, so I personally am not too concerned about wear and tear on the battery. Also, I guess I thought gas starter tech had come a long way with hybrids. Don't they stop/start the gas engine multiple times on a short trip depending on the demands of the road/driver? Maybe that's something different...

The way around it is to do some duct tape-type jury rigging of the door to keep it from turning the car off. It's documented in this forum if you want to search on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For my case, I don't think I will be starting the car remotely on a daily basis, so it doesn't bother me that much. Also, if I am remote starting the car in the cold, presumably it is so the car warms up (and the battery warms and begins to charge) before I get there, so I personally am not too concerned about wear and tear on the battery. Also, I guess I thought gas starter tech had come a long way with hybrids. Don't they stop/start the gas engine multiple times on a short trip depending on the demands of the road/driver? Maybe that's something different...

The way around it is to do some duct tape-type jury rigging of the door to keep it from turning the car off. It's documented in this forum if you want to search on it.
Couldn't have said it better myself! Not sure about the hybrids, but I am not concerned with the battery life. I do not want to duct tape a new car. I am way beyond "that stage" in my life. Not saying anything about anyone who has done this, it's not for me. If I was that concerned with it I am sure you could rewire the door switch to think it was never opened. Wiring schematics and knowledge can go a long way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i had remote start on my old truck, it was aftermarket but it would turn off if you pressed the brake pedal prior to putting the key in and turning it to the on position. They should have done it that way. makes way more sense.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
My guess is that it was to accommodate the push button start that is available in areas outside of the US Domestic market (except for the OB with SAP).

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Does your car active the cold weather package when you use remote start? Turn on the heated mirrors? windshield warmers? Defrost? Rear defrost? How about heated seats? If you leave the button on I assume they will warm up also??

I think I am going to get this for my wife for Christmas.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Does your car active the cold weather package when you use remote start? Turn on the heated mirrors? windshield warmers? Defrost? Rear defrost? How about heated seats? If you leave the button on I assume they will warm up also??

I think I am going to get this for my wife for Christmas.
You have to leave the switches in the on position for them to activate with remote start. Most likely just turn them to the on position the night before or when you leave your car. As far as I know the OEM switches don't have a function to turn on the all-weather package remotely. I think it's the same for the rear defrost as well as the heater. Subaru doesn't have a sophisticated remote start to where you can turn those features on like other car manufacturers (or aftermarket brands).

·
Registered
112 Posts
If your car has the automatic climate control, the climate system is automatically activated during remote start, even if you turned it off. In colder temps, the rear window defroster and other connected functions will turn on automatically and also come back on after restart. The only thing that doesn't come on automatically are the heated seats.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Don't believe that the rear window defroster comes on automatically. The heated seats will come on if they were set to on when the car was last in use.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Don't believe that the rear window defroster comes on automatically. The heated seats will come on if they were set to on when the car was last in use.
That's wrong, the rear window, windshield wiper, and side mirrors defroster all come on automatically, along with the front windshield defroster/heat. I used it this morning, it was nice to have a defrosted car.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
i had remote start on my old truck, it was aftermarket but it would turn off if you pressed the brake pedal prior to putting the key in and turning it to the on position. They should have done it that way. makes way more sense.
That's how it used to work. My parents have a '09 & '11 Forester both work that way.

It's hard to drive away a car with a locked steering column and shifter... nonetheless it's documented in the other thread mentioned.

I really like the 2-way confirmation. Works nice when you are in a restaurant or out of sight of the car :29:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Has anyone tried to install the kit (H011SAJ400) themselves? I'm about to spring for a new 2014, and the local dealers are balking at installing the Subaru branded remote start. Their preferred route is an aftermarket system that uses the existing remote (you push lock-unlock-lock and it starts the car).

I'm not opposed to an aftermarket system if it works at least as well as the factory kit. Of concern to me:

1) The range of the basic security system key fob buttons is a few car lengths (maybe 60 ft), and wouldn't work from my office window to the car in the lot (250 ft). One guy said his system was good for 1200 ft, so it might involve some kind of booster. I've asked him for clarification, but so far nothing....

2) Loss of a transponder key, as most aftermarket systems use one of your keys to make up for their lack of a transponder chip.

3) You can start the car with this dance step, but can you shut it down?

The Subaru system installation instructions are involved (not impossible, but not for the novice), and you have to go back to the dealer on the last step to have the modules's transponder chip added to the existing keyset anyhow. Unless of course, someone has figured out a hack for adding transponder keys?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
FWIW, I looked into it. In the end you MUST have the dealer program the unit and the remotes. There is no way around that. My dealer quoted $100 for the programming and $150 (IIRC) for the full install. It's not worth saving $50, especially on a new car with a warranty. I'd call your dealer and ask what they charge to install v just programming.

I bought mine from Subaru Parts Warehouse during their black friday sale last year and ended up saving quite a bit over the dealer's cost. They charged the same install price regardless of where I bought it. Sign up for their newsletter, I'm sure they'll have something again this year.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Of concern to me:

1) The range of the basic security system key fob buttons is a few car lengths (maybe 60 ft), and wouldn't work from my office window to the car in the lot (250 ft). One guy said his system was good for 1200 ft, so it might involve some kind of booster. I've asked him for clarification, but so far nothing....

2) Loss of a transponder key, as most aftermarket systems use one of your keys to make up for their lack of a transponder chip.

3) You can start the car with this dance step, but can you shut it down?

The Subaru system installation instructions are involved (not impossible, but not for the novice), and you have to go back to the dealer on the last step to have the modules's transponder chip added to the existing keyset anyhow. Unless of course, someone has figured out a hack for adding transponder keys?
1) I would stay away from any system that using the existing key fob. I currently have one in a Nissan. Your 60' range estimate is most likely quite accurate. The Subaru owner's manual says 40' but you can usually get a little better than that. There is no magic booster here. The range will be the same for the fob as it was before the RS. These systems use the receiver that is already in the car and just hard wire to it. When the unit sees 3 door lock pulses (or whatever) off the factory receiver the RS fires up. Not only is the physical range an issue for these systems but you have 3 button pushes all of which must reach the receiver and be timed correctly. Also no 2 way feed back to tell if your car has started. These are inexpensive systems that the dealer likes to throw in to close the deal leaving you thinking you are getting a free $600 RS system. The 1200' guy is dreaming.

2) This is no longer true. Check with any authorized Viper installer.

3) Yes. I have never heard of one that didn't allow you to shut it down from the remote.

I assume that you are trying to buy a 2014 off the lot rather than ordering. Usually ordering a factory installed RS, which actually gets installed at the port, is the most cost effective way. I was able to get my 2010 OB with RS that way. The most expensive way is to have the dealer install it. I found my 2010 Legacy on the lot without RS so I had to do my own install. There used to be brand new unopened Subaru remote starts on ebay for $100. awhile back. A few of us on the forum purchased them and did our own install. Not hard, mostly plug and play, just follow directions. The hardest part was removing and re-installing the A-pilliar with the air bag in there to get the antenna wire up to the top of the windshield. Then as you mentioned you must go to the dealer to have the RS id registered in the ECU. I think they charged me about $50. No remote programming is necessary like a previous poster thought.
I recently traded in the 2010 OB for a 2013 OB off the lot without RS. I couldn't find any more great ebay deals on Subaru factory RS so I had a Viper 4203v installed. I like this one best. 2000' range, super small remote on keychain, 2 way feedback, no need to give up key, engine immobilizer still works as does entire factory security.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Thanks for the fast response!

Yes, my situation is we are looking for a 2014. Rumor has it that Subaru financing rates (currently as low as 0.9%) will take a jump in October, making the cost of the vehicle rise considerably. There's nothing out there right now with the Boston port RS on it, so I'm trying to figure out how to get one added.

The H011SAJ400 kits are going for around $300 plus shipping, and several dealers are quoting $100 for programming, $200-250 for full install. Not cheap.

The big concern is the A-pillar work. I was wondering how much range I'd loose if I just mounted the antenna lower on the windshield and simply ran the wire right into the dash at the pillar base. I thought I saw a gap where the connector might make it thru. I'll have to look more closely...

The Viper looks interesting. Don't have time tonight to go after their instructions. Was it connector plug and play, or did it require going into the wire loom and using the scotchlock style connectors? I see prices ranging from $140 (Amazon) to $250 (Crutchfield).

I was wondering if leaving a valet key in the car AKA the older aftermarket RS units served to defeat one of the main anti-theft features? Could the column lock be jimmed with a screw driver, and the valet key left in the car provide the ignition OK to Start command?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
14 Participants
vr4Legacy
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing