Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
Of concern to me:

1) The range of the basic security system key fob buttons is a few car lengths (maybe 60 ft), and wouldn't work from my office window to the car in the lot (250 ft). One guy said his system was good for 1200 ft, so it might involve some kind of booster. I've asked him for clarification, but so far nothing....

2) Loss of a transponder key, as most aftermarket systems use one of your keys to make up for their lack of a transponder chip.

3) You can start the car with this dance step, but can you shut it down?

The Subaru system installation instructions are involved (not impossible, but not for the novice), and you have to go back to the dealer on the last step to have the modules's transponder chip added to the existing keyset anyhow. Unless of course, someone has figured out a hack for adding transponder keys?
1) I would stay away from any system that using the existing key fob. I currently have one in a Nissan. Your 60' range estimate is most likely quite accurate. The Subaru owner's manual says 40' but you can usually get a little better than that. There is no magic booster here. The range will be the same for the fob as it was before the RS. These systems use the receiver that is already in the car and just hard wire to it. When the unit sees 3 door lock pulses (or whatever) off the factory receiver the RS fires up. Not only is the physical range an issue for these systems but you have 3 button pushes all of which must reach the receiver and be timed correctly. Also no 2 way feed back to tell if your car has started. These are inexpensive systems that the dealer likes to throw in to close the deal leaving you thinking you are getting a free $600 RS system. The 1200' guy is dreaming.

2) This is no longer true. Check with any authorized Viper installer.

3) Yes. I have never heard of one that didn't allow you to shut it down from the remote.

I assume that you are trying to buy a 2014 off the lot rather than ordering. Usually ordering a factory installed RS, which actually gets installed at the port, is the most cost effective way. I was able to get my 2010 OB with RS that way. The most expensive way is to have the dealer install it. I found my 2010 Legacy on the lot without RS so I had to do my own install. There used to be brand new unopened Subaru remote starts on ebay for $100. awhile back. A few of us on the forum purchased them and did our own install. Not hard, mostly plug and play, just follow directions. The hardest part was removing and re-installing the A-pilliar with the air bag in there to get the antenna wire up to the top of the windshield. Then as you mentioned you must go to the dealer to have the RS id registered in the ECU. I think they charged me about $50. No remote programming is necessary like a previous poster thought.
I recently traded in the 2010 OB for a 2013 OB off the lot without RS. I couldn't find any more great ebay deals on Subaru factory RS so I had a Viper 4203v installed. I like this one best. 2000' range, super small remote on keychain, 2 way feedback, no need to give up key, engine immobilizer still works as does entire factory security.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
I had the Viper installed. It was a Saturday morning and I just stopped there to get a price on the 4203v. He told me $299. plus $100 for the transponder bypass and he could do it immediately as I waited. So I went for it. Only the Subi RS is plug and play. I bet you wouldn't really loose much range if you kept the antenna at the base of the windshield. Another option may be to run it up alongside the A-pillar. Don't get me wrong the A-pillar can be done and the factory directions give you every little detail.

edit: scratch that idea of running the antenna wire alongside the pillar. it's been a couple of years since I did the install but I just remembered it's a ribbon cable going up to the antenna not some nice small round cable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts