Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
i had remote start on my old truck, it was aftermarket but it would turn off if you pressed the brake pedal prior to putting the key in and turning it to the on position. They should have done it that way. makes way more sense.
That's how it used to work. My parents have a '09 & '11 Forester both work that way.

It's hard to drive away a car with a locked steering column and shifter... nonetheless it's documented in the other thread mentioned.

I really like the 2-way confirmation. Works nice when you are in a restaurant or out of sight of the car :29:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
FWIW, I looked into it. In the end you MUST have the dealer program the unit and the remotes. There is no way around that. My dealer quoted $100 for the programming and $150 (IIRC) for the full install. It's not worth saving $50, especially on a new car with a warranty. I'd call your dealer and ask what they charge to install v just programming.

I bought mine from Subaru Parts Warehouse during their black friday sale last year and ended up saving quite a bit over the dealer's cost. They charged the same install price regardless of where I bought it. Sign up for their newsletter, I'm sure they'll have something again this year.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I was wondering if leaving a valet key in the car AKA the older aftermarket RS units served to defeat one of the main anti-theft features? Could the column lock be jimmed with a screw driver, and the valet key left in the car provide the ignition OK to Start command?
Yes.

I have the OEM kit, it's nice and has great range. As far as it's primary function, it does great. It starts the car, tells you when it's started and gives feedback.

However if I were to do it again, I would investigate an aftermarket option more. The shutting the engine off when the door is open is a real PITA. My wife doesn't use the starter as often because of it. Knowing now that you can avoid losing a key and essentially emulate the OEM method, you can get a lot of options and range for the same ~$500 you'll shell out to get an OEM installed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts