Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is exactly how it works. I just got a 2013 OB with remote starter and the first time I tried it, I opened the door and the engine stopped. I thought it had to be installed incorrectly. I called the dealer just this morning to get clarification. And indeed, it is by design that it functions this way. The idea is that someone can't break into your running and presumably unattended car and take off. One can debate the merits of that, but that's the thought process.

For my case, I don't think I will be starting the car remotely on a daily basis, so it doesn't bother me that much. Also, if I am remote starting the car in the cold, presumably it is so the car warms up (and the battery warms and begins to charge) before I get there, so I personally am not too concerned about wear and tear on the battery. Also, I guess I thought gas starter tech had come a long way with hybrids. Don't they stop/start the gas engine multiple times on a short trip depending on the demands of the road/driver? Maybe that's something different...

The way around it is to do some duct tape-type jury rigging of the door to keep it from turning the car off. It's documented in this forum if you want to search on it.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts