Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
I had the Viper installed. It was a Saturday morning and I just stopped there to get a price on the 4203v. He told me $299. plus $100 for the transponder bypass and he could do it immediately as I waited. So I went for it. Only the Subi RS is plug and play. I bet you wouldn't really loose much range if you kept the antenna at the base of the windshield. Another option may be to run it up alongside the A-pillar. Don't get me wrong the A-pillar can be done and the factory directions give you every little detail.

edit: scratch that idea of running the antenna wire alongside the pillar. it's been a couple of years since I did the install but I just remembered it's a ribbon cable going up to the antenna not some nice small round cable.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
I was wondering if leaving a valet key in the car AKA the older aftermarket RS units served to defeat one of the main anti-theft features? Could the column lock be jimmed with a screw driver, and the valet key left in the car provide the ignition OK to Start command?
Yes.

I have the OEM kit, it's nice and has great range. As far as it's primary function, it does great. It starts the car, tells you when it's started and gives feedback.

However if I were to do it again, I would investigate an aftermarket option more. The shutting the engine off when the door is open is a real PITA. My wife doesn't use the starter as often because of it. Knowing now that you can avoid losing a key and essentially emulate the OEM method, you can get a lot of options and range for the same ~$500 you'll shell out to get an OEM installed.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts