Subaru Outback Forums banner

2012 Forester - Largest Tire Size

10K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  AWDFTW 
#1 ·
Ok... so my wife is the one that drives the Forester and I've decided that since she drives the car everyday for work, she should have a set of winter tires for the snowy months. Since I will have dedicated wheels/tires for her Forester, thought I would take advantage and at least purchase the largest tire size that will fit.

Currently, for my 98 OBW, I'm running steel wheels with 215/70-15 Winterforce tires and I think they are great. This size is right around 27", which is pushing it for the OBW, however, for the Forester, does it have the same size limitation?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andre

#2 ·
Well, it either has 215/65/16 or 225/55/17, depending on the model. Both of which are right at that 27" bracket, so I'd go with the 215/65/16 personally.

Don't think there is a difference in the brakes that would make the larger wheels required. But I don't think 15 will clear the brakes.

#3 ·
Good point about the brakes... I overlooked that... But either way I was planning nothing smaller than a 16" wheel.

About the tire size, it seems there is so much room in the wheel sells for a much larger tire, but the one thing I haven't checked clearance on yet is how close the spring perch is to the tire, which could dictate the tire size.

What is the preference for the 16" wheel?... Cause of the larger sidewall?

Thank You,
Andre

#4 ·
Yup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.