Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012, OUtback Limited 3.6R. All options except Navi. Green Cypress
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Long time forum user - but haven't been in a while.
Car's great, at 60k miles, but looking to give it a quick upgrade.

New Head Unit, and maybe some sound deadening (should transform the car quite a bit)

5 years on, I am sure we have many options for a Double Din, Touchscreen with Navi, Bluetooth. Need to retain Steering wheel controls, (my back up camera is up on the rearview mirror and as such perfectly fine), CD and Satellite radio and ... would be nice I guess... OEM look as much as possible.

What options do I have please?
Any links for good reading material... I already ran the search function and obviously still have quite few questions unanswered.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Limited options

I've looked through Crutchfield and there are limited options requiring some fabrication. I think the recommend finding a good shop to do the work.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
The install is fairly straight forward, if you are handy. Radio removal is the same for all 4th gen models, but in '12 Subaru changed over to a Toyota style harness. You'll need to tap onto the 28 pin harness for steering wheel controls (if I remember correctly) and you can also get to the aux input if you want to keep the OEM version. There is an adapter that allows you to retain the OEM USB connection if you choose as well.

The radio wiring is slightly more complicated than a standard install. The new radio will have the standard wires connected, but you'll need to solder some RCA tips onto the car side of the speaker harness to transmit the signal to the OEM amp (connect them to the aftermarket unit's RCA outputs). I did a write up when I did the install in our '12 a few years ago. I'll see if I can track down a link to the post. Here's the link: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-2014/44689-2012-aftermarket-kenwood-install.html

·
Registered
2012, OUtback Limited 3.6R. All options except Navi. Green Cypress
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for responses...

How about options in general?
Which HU to choose?

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
In general I would recommend sticking to normal name brands that have been around for a while, like Kenwood, JVC, Clarion, Pioneer, etc.. When I worked in the business, I would recommend that the buyer spend some time using the new unit. There are quite a few different ways to perform the same function so it comes down to what appeals to you. Do you need BT, Hands Free, nav, CarPlay, Android Auto, buttons, knobs, extra inputs, the list goes on and on. Online transactions are easy and tend to be cheaper, but you can't always get a chance to change your mind without it costing you at least shipping, and maybe a restocking fee.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Go to Crutchfield.com and you will find many options that are compatible with your car as well as any necessary wiring adapters. Also check out ae64.com to find out what wiring changes/harnesses may be needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts