Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to the auto show opening night (Friday). Im not a big car guy but went to get my $250 coupon for a new purchase since I am likely buying soon. The Subaru booth was nice showcasing the cars - the 2014 Forester and a brown SAP OB.

I was very disappointed in the staff though. I asked multiple people working the booth a few questions they couldnt answer.
I asked about the Brown SAP OB since I have heard its now discontinued and no more orders for it are offered, yet they had one there.
I mentioned that a dealer said it was no longer offered other than whats on lots. They knew nothing about the Brown being a limited color and said the dealer was possibly misinformed. :p
They said the Brown should continue to be offered and made.

I also asked about the A-ha radio function coming to the 2013 OBs soon and offered in the new Forester.
They had no idea what it even was and couldnt answer if it can be added to an OB if I happen to buy before its factory installed.

In general - the convention was interesting as Ive never gone to such a thing. I was looking at "similar" cars by other brands. Just for kicks. Volvo, Nissan, Honda, etc. I like Volvos in general , havent owned one though.
Their similar model was 10K more, but other than a very nice stainless steel type surface that I loved in the interior, I would still buy the OB even if I easily had the additional funds. And though I think Nissan makes good cars, their comparables - didnt compare. Honda or Toyota - not even close.

It was nice to walk around and see other cars in and out just to compare.
I did wish they offered more fun freebies. Conventions I go to - Comic Con, and the AES (audio engineering society) offer a lot more swag - and most at the car show offered nothing - but just wanted your info to send you a brochure. Subaru had a couple brochures only - the new forester and a general all model. I was hoping for some nice Subaru swag. Oh well, the 250 coupon was worth going alone. :)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
in addition, I have spoken to a couple sales guys at Subaru dealers, and THEY also knew nothing about the Aha radio option coming, nor did they know the Brown SAP was a limited color option.

I EXPECT it when sales people in Best Buy know less about audio than I do, but its weird when I - totally ignorant on cars except what I own - know more about the cars then the people selling them.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The Brilliant Brown Pearl was only offered for a few months.. It was discontinued for the year on November 10, 2012.. Around September 15 they made it only available on special order for a month and a half until November 10.. There are other sources for this information, I believe the workers at LA were not aware of this.. I was able to obtain more through my dealer and got confirmation that only 817 out of over 95,500 Outbacks in 2.5 & 3.6R's total were made in brown. I was told this was a limited run for marketability of the color..(Maybe a 2014 color) There are very few around now.. We got lucky and picked ours up two weeks ago.. Last I heard one or two still on the east coast.. Although the White and black SAP's continue to be made..

Steve

·
Registered
572 Posts
From my experience they hire "pretty" contractors to man booths at trade shows. The CEO and COO make the big announcements and unveilings, but the models and contractors man the booths. I have manned booths before. I am in purchasing, but in order to get free walk arounds they trade manning the booth. Most get a crash course in the subject matter and asked to man the booth space

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
^^^ +1. For car shows it's a couple people who work for the manufacturer supported by 10 or 12 freelancers who learned how to spell the product name the night before.

Not really a good or terrible thing. Just a thing.

You see more swag at AES because it's a much narrower field. Most of the people who turn up at AES have already got a basement full of gear and are shopping for the next thing. The show = the showroom in that business.

Car shows are wide-open public. Way more lookie-loos than real customers at the shows, but cars have showrooms all year round for the serious buyers.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have been to a couple regional auto shows and have always been dissapointed. They tend to be just a big showroom with a couple cool looking prototypes and a bunch of uninformed people working the booths. I just browse the internet and look for the "top 10" pics now.

From my experience they hire "pretty" contractors to man booths at trade shows.... I have manned booths before.
Rather arrogant don't ya think ;):p

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
With staff like this showing you the new Subaru's, what else do you need to know?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We got lucky and picked ours up two weeks ago.. Last I heard one or two still on the east coast.. Although the White and black SAP's continue to be made..

Steve
one or 2 on the east coast? I counted over 15 in California dealers when I checked last weekend.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My dealer did not seem to know that the brown was a limited color either. In fact he laughed at me (don't laugh at me if you want to earn my business) and said that I can't trust everything I read on the web. I hope that the day he realizes that the brown was a limited time option that he will remember our conversation.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well, I got to sit in that brown Outback in question at the auto show. Didn’t realize it was a limited color, but it did look nice. I never looked much into the Gen 4 models, but it really had some nice amenities. Spoke for a while with one of the representatives, who showed me how the rear cargo area lays flat just by putting the rear seatbacks forward. That was great, because on the 2nd Gens you have to first fold the bench seat itself out of the way before the seat backs come down. There was even a slot under the cargo mat for the cargo cover. That was a neat feature.
I was dismayed by the general lack of wagons in the car industry now.

Seems like the new wagon is a crossover SUV, as those are much more prevalent.

As for the lack of swag to be gotten at the LA auto show, I remember around 10 years ago when I would go every year, I’d come home with all sorts of posters, key chains, pens, and nick-nacks. Car product brochures were also very thick and extravagant. Now it’s more often a flyer, or a small brochure, or a QR code for you to scan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
Storkiln
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing