Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is SUPPOSED to happen when I have the CVT in Drive and I depress the + or - on the paddle shifters?

I know what is supposed to happen when the gear shifter is in "M" and I'm trying to determine if I have a problem when I do it when the gear shifter is in "D".

Thanks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
As far as I know, when in D the downshift paddle is the only one to work first. Say you're coming to a stop with it in D, you could engine brake by utilizing the downshift (-) paddle. Once you do that, THEN you could use the upshift paddle if needed, however it'll automatically go back to normal D operation after some magical pattern of events occurs :29:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
+ or - will go up or down a gear, just like in M.

HOWEVER it will only do it in D if the car is at the right speed. I believe it beeps or something if it can't shift. If you have already shifted once it denotes whether you can go up or down on the display. For example if you are in 2nd at 15mph, it won't go up to 3rd. If you are in 2nd at 35mph, it won't go down to 1st.

In M, I believe it will let you redline it.

What do you think the "problem' is, maybe we can help diagnose better that way.

edit: after reading what wutburger wrote, that may be true. I can't say I've tried upshifting straight from D, only after downshifting first..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife was "playing" with them last night and she claimed the car "quit". She had to pull over and wait a minute or two and then was able to keep going. On my 2009 Saturn Aura, the paddle are disabled unless the gear shifter is in "M" so I just assumed it was the same in the OB.

·
Registered
228 Posts
My wife was "playing" with them last night and she claimed the car "quit". She had to pull over and wait a minute or two and then was able to keep going. On my 2009 Saturn Aura, the paddle are disabled unless the gear shifter is in "M" so I just assumed it was the same in the OB.
Not sure if it's the same on the 2012, but on my 2013, you can put the shifter over to M and use the paddles to up/downshift. Alternatively, you can JUST use the paddles, while still in D. When you do that, you'll find that you're stuck in numbered "gears" - you can up and downshift all you want, but you won't end up in "D". To get out of that mode and back to "D", move the shifter over to M and back to D again.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Once you have downshifted several gears in auto mode you can upshift past the proper gear and "lug" the tranny and feel like there is no power. If you downshift back to the proper gear or close to it you will be good to go. It's normal.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
+ or - will go up or down a gear, just like in M.

HOWEVER it will only do it in D if the car is at the right speed. I believe it beeps or something if it can't shift. If you have already shifted once it denotes whether you can go up or down on the display. For example if you are in 2nd at 15mph, it won't go up to 3rd. If you are in 2nd at 35mph, it won't go down to 1st.
Mine doesn't beep.

The gear indicator in the MFD will display little arrows if you can shift up and/or down.

FWIW - When doing 80mph on the highway I can still shift all the way down to 3rd.

·
Registered
368 Posts
When you do that, you'll find that you're stuck in numbered "gears" - you can up and downshift all you want, but you won't end up in "D". To get out of that mode and back to "D", move the shifter over to M and back to D again.
On my 2011 the CVT trans will return to "D" automatically after using the paddles. IMO paddle shifters are great to quickly downshift using some engine braking for descending hills, approaching speed traps or slowing for possible slippery spots.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
aggreX
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing