Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 2012 Outback has some manner of oil leak that's dripping on to the exhaust, resulting in a very smoky and unpleasant car. I have to leave the garage door open and cross ventilate for 20-30 minutes after driving lest my garage (and attached home) fills with smoke. Suboptimal.

I've taken it to the dealership three times for this issue, succeeding only in giving them large amounts of money while the smoking has steadily worsened.

The first time (while still under warranty) they said that someone just spilled oil on to the exhaust and that it would burn off.

The second time I brought it in (several months later and now out of warranty), they said it was a oil pump seal. They supposedly re-sealed the oil pump, but it smoked just as bad afterward. Again, they said it was just leftover oil from the re-seal and that it would burn off.

The third time I brought it in (one-and-a-half months later) they said they had no idea why it was leaking oil. After holding on to the car for three and half weeks, they said one of their junior techs had improperly re-sealed the oil pump, but they have, yet again, re-sealed it. Unsurprisingly at this point, the car was a smoking mess by the time I made it home and has steadily worsened since.

So, questions:
1. Has anyone else had this problem with their 2012 Outback?
2. Does an oil pump leak even make sense as a cause for this?
3. Does anyone have a recommendation for a competent mechanic in San Francisco, since the dealer seems incapable of fixing the problem?

Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts