Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i engine locked up while driving 80 mph on the highway. It had 91K miles and was serviced at 88K miles at a Subaru dealership.

The cost to repair at dealership: $8,019.18. (this is the amount after Subaru of America agreed to cover $1,500).

Technicians notes: “MOTOR CAME APART AT HIGH REV SPEED, 1 PISTON CRACKED, 1 PISTON GONE. EXCESSIVE METAL SCATTERED THROUGH COMPLETE ENGINE AND INTAKE MANIFOLD”. Service manager notes: A mechanical failure of the guide is likely what occurred, but we are unable to confirm due to damage to motor.* I’ve never seen one this badly damaged before nor is this common

A used motor can be installed for about $5K. I am really disappointed that the engine failed completely at 90K miles. It is getting fixed, will be driven a few months, then will be sold or traded in. This is my first Subaru and will be my last.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Oh hey, it's another "I was a statistical anomaly and I will now spend the rest of my life bashing a product" post. Plenty of these on every vehicle forum on the internets.

I mean, does it suck? Yeah.

What do you expect for an outcome? A medium-small company to replace a 8 year old product that has broken for unknown reasons free of charge? I'd like to live in a world where that happens, but I don't.

Did you actually contact Subaru about the issue? Did they offer anything in response?

A car is a machine. Machines break. Often expensively.

Reactions: hallux

·
Registered
2014 OBW Premium (Ice Silver Metalic)
309 Posts
"The cost to repair at dealership: $8,019.18. (this is the amount after Subaru of America agreed to cover $1,500)." It does appear that the OP did contact SoA.

I'll probably never know, but I'm really curious as to the root cause of the failure. It is stated that the last service was by the dealer at 88K. What was the previous service history?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
got pics or a scan of that bill / estimate?

one can buy a matching JDM used EJ253 for 2010-12 for cheaper then that,

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
I'm wondering about the maintenance and how long this owner has had it. For an engine to disintegrate (without power adders like NOS) requires some SERIOUS abuse and/or ignoring of warning signs (tapping, knocking, poor performance).

But I'd consult with a few confident independent shops about engine replacement. Used Japanese-import engines can be had around the $2K range, or even a few salvage yard engines can be had around that range.

It's unfortunate this happened, but such-is-life.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
Most of you know my little joke about my Ex.

In 2010, she was to go to our local dealer, drive and purchase a 2009 OBXT with less than 10K on the clock. She came home with a 2010 OB Premium 2.5 pzev. We were separated and heading for divorce within a couple months after 10 years. The joke of course, she bought the wrong car.

Funny tho, the OB was always going to be hers. After 10 years with me, check this out. She doesn't even know how to fill the washer fluid let alone check the oil. That 2010 is still alive, I have no idea how. If she'd bought the XT, she'd have killed it by know.

My guess there are plenty of folks out there like my Ex. Service at 88K means nothing. What was the history prior to the 88K miles. What is the OPs history with the car prior to 88K.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
A used motor can be installed for about $5K. I am really disappointed that the engine failed completely at 90K miles. It is getting fixed, will be driven a few months, then will be sold or traded in. This is my first Subaru and will be my last.
sorry for the experience, that's frustrating and a huge inconvenience.

go somewhere else. you should be able to get another engine installed for $3k or so.

also - if you bought it used it was likely run low on oil or compromised in some way.

I can totally understand wanting to avoid subaru due to the bad experience, that being said, if you bought it new then it's an outlier. every mass produced automobile in history has early low mileage failures, so while personally it's a terrible cost and inconvenience, in itself it is anecdotal and meaningless. i totally get leaving subaru and my point isn't to change that decision - but rather a suggestion to keep an eye out for data driven quantifiable information to help in future decisions rather than favoring anecdotal perceptions.

and if large derailments are a major turn off for you then you might want to look for companies with 100k extended warranties, they're very reasonable for many people who want 100,000 miles of no decisions or worries.

·
Registered
2002 Outback
705 Posts
It's not unheard of that a shop will say they changed the oil when they actually didn't. Did it looked like new oil when you checked it? You did check it after a few hundred miles? It usually takes several hundred miles before the oil darkens. Not that the dealer would ever admit to an 'error' like that... Just sayin'.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Every poster here has met and seen “operators” who have never once lifted a hood to do a 10 second fluids check. Its either there or not. If its not then you have problems sooner than later.

Modern engines will go a fair distance without oil but when they stop, your left with metal debri that was once a nicely operating machine.

A bad oil filter gasket 10 cent item or a lost crush washer on a drain plug can dump oil and plenty of “operators” will never notice till bang the car wont go!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2012 locked up at about 90k due to a failure of the timing belt tensioner. Anti freeze out the oil drain plug and metal chunks.

·
Registered
2012 ej253 6MT
11 Posts
Agreed with many here, such is life. Many mechanical components can be champions and occasionally we get a dud or anomaly..
But the ej253 as I saw someone note, should be able to be replaced as a full assembly for chaper than 8+K $ , It would reason to me to believe of an entire engine simply blowing up and disintegrating pistons, and ceasing completely, must have had some oil pickup issues or brutal oil.loss issue / neglect where a spun rod bearing(s) would have produced the writing on that wall.
Sorry man it happened but boxer engines and Subie people don't quit , ever

1 - 12 of 12 Posts