Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i a month ago. Something happened to make it so the manual door lock on the driver's side door does not work. The electronic lock works just fine. The manual door lock on the passenger side door works fine too.

I might be the cause of this. I tried to follow the steps to make it so the alarm does not beep when turning it on. I was unsuccessful at this. After searching on this forum, I now know it's because the owner's manual has incomplete instructions. It may be that, while attempting to "un-beep" the alarm, I may have done a series of steps that messed up the manual door lock.

I searched this forum for this issue but found no results. I want to avoid taking my vehicle in for service, which would be a hassle and take time. Has anyone ever heard of this issue and have a resolution?

Thank you,
Brad

·
Registered
670 Posts
BradMan,

If the manual lock doesn't unlock the door, there are several reasons for the failure. You don't say whether you are talking about the outside key lock, or the inside manual lock. It really doesn't matter, because the same issue applies to both.

There is a short arm on the end of the key lock that has a metal rod attached to it that connects to the lock assembly of the door latch. The same is true of the inside manual lock. It has a longer control rod that runs from the front of the door all of the way back to the lock assembly at the latch.

Either the clip that holds the rod to the key lock arm or the manual lock has come undone and fallen off, or the clip has broken and allowed the rod to disconnect. As well, the rods may be bent (I doubt it, but its possible) and are now too short to throw the lock. The power door lock actuator may have come disconnected from one of the rods, because of a clip failure. You may also find that the longer rod to the manual lock is bent ... because someone tried to steal your car by hooking the lock rod to unlock the door with a jimmy bar, but they bent the rod rather than unlocking the door and taking your ride.

Regardless, incorrect programming would not affect them. I'm pretty certain that you'll find a small mechanical problem inside the door, which means the inner door panel will have to come off to correct it. Good Luck!

·
Registered
16,310 Posts
The 2010+ (I believe the 2007-9 as well) uses a cable system between the inner door latch and lock lever and the mechanism (see attached).

As gbhrps mentioned the inner door panel will probably have to come off to both figure out what failed, and to fix it.

Why not have the dealer do this under the warranty? I appreciate the hassle and the time involved, but that's what the warranty is for, and if you have to spend the time to pull the trim off, investigate, and perhaps buy parts on top, you probably won't be any further ahead, and will be out of pocket any costs. The door locks and handles should last beyond the warranty if not for the life of the car; if something failed, it should be covered.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
plain OM
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing