·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I recently purchased a new outback. I like it a lot
When I have the radio off, I can hear this faint click noise periodically
It sounds like its by my seat or arm rest console. I don't know what it is
It's not loud but as one can expect buying a new car this noise is driving me crazy
I noticed it when I push on the gas, but it happens casual to

Any thoughts

Thanks

·
Registered
18,289 Posts
If it's what I think it is, it's normal.

Drive a bit more and take more specific note of exactly when you hear the click. I suspect you'll find it appears just after the car starts moving, at about 5 -10 mph, and again at the same speed as the car slows down (when coming to a stop).

If so, then what you're hearing is the shift lock solenoid. It's in the console, in the area of the gear shift lever. It's purpose is to prevent the lever from being moved from D to R, or P, when the car is moving. So as the car speeds up, the solenoid moves to block the lever from moving, and as the car slows down, it shifts back to open the path for the lever to move.

The solenoid also prevents the gear lever from being moved out of Park without the key being at ON and the brake pedal being pressed down, and, if the key is turned to off with the lever still in D or N, you can't move it to P without turning the key back to ON and pressing the brake pedal.

The shift lock is common on many cars, but the mechanics of how they accomplish this differs.

By the way, there quite a few posts here asking about the clicking; the "search" function will identify them easily.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

i believe thats when im hearing it, when i press ont the gas and i hear it by the center console
Well thanks for the response
ill read the other posts about clicking noises and compare but your answer seems logical now

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check out the seat belt buckle. I have a 4 month old outback and the seat belt buckle started to click and squeek about a month ago and it is driving me crazy as well.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
Gosh. Other than the seat belt clip rattling against the door post, mine is remarkably quiet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Put your hand on the shifter as you slow down or speed up from a stop. You can feel it too. Dealer told me the fix is more insulation or foam stuffed around that area to muffle the sound. My wife doesn't even notice it, but it makes me crazy. At some point I'll have them fix it.

·
Registered
2012 3.6R OB Limited - Moonroof - Ice Silver
296 Posts
they won't fix it because they don't consider it a problem. I've brought this up to the dealer no less than 3 times and it is considered "normal". Why they can't design a shift lock solenoid that operates silently is beyond me...I assume every other auto transmission vehicle has one, and I've never heard this noise in any car I've owned or rented. It annoyed the **** out of me in my 2011 and is starting to do the same in my 2012. This seems like an odd "feature" to be present in a $34000 car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. Thanks. I didn't even notice all of the responses. I will try you alls method and see if I can tell what it is
I originally thought it was something with speed

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Speeding up. But now it seems to do it a lot more. And as I aid it's not loud. If the radio is on I can't hear it that much. But considering I just bought the car; it's very annoying. I had an 08 and it was silent. I can't see this noise beig just how the car is. But I have no idea. I read somewhere else that it could be a relay or something clicking.
Thanks for the responses. I bring it in next week. I really hope it's something easy BC I like to drive with no sound, radio, and If I have to hear a slight click, click, click ever minute, it's going to make me nuts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok

It appears to be my seatbelt as well. I see a lot of people posting about this. If I unbuckle the seat belt but leave it in so not to hear the alarm, the noise goes away.
When I lock the seat belt, the noise starts up again. And i can shake it and hear it as well.
I am going to bring it to my dealer, let them hear it, hopefully they will replace it.
I know others stated they had it replaced and it came back, but it doesnt happen to everyone so hopefully they install a new one and it goes away
I cant believe that this has been going on for a few years now; thats gotta be a easy fix if your the manufacturer.

but its not the cenunoid or whatever its called, that stops the car from shifting into manual.
The sound i hear is a random sound, not associated with shifting, or speeding. I thought it was, but once I read seat belt, I can clearly hear the sound coming from that.

Thanks for the responses. I will let you all know what the dealership states. If they state its just part of the car, Id say lets go drive that one and see if it makes the noise. For a 34,000 car, this noise is inexcusable I think. I can never have silence, always, tick tick tick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts