Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave up on finding the Xcode to display transmission temperatures on my ScanGauge2.
I installed a digital gauge today. I used a 3/8 brass T with 3/8 barbs on the ends and a 3/8 to 1/8 adaptor in the center for the temperature sender. I cut a small section of the inlet hose near the radiator to install the brass T.
I installed the gauge in the compartment just in front of the gear shifter. It is out of the way and can be seen with some effort. My thinking was the only time I am concerned with the temperature is when I am towing my small utility trailer or going over a large mountain.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I was contemplating on doing. Simple enough for sure. So whats the normal running range so far? Vs say a hot day running a little hard etc?
I just finished the install today. It may be a month or so before I will be towing the trailer. Next week I will have some 30 mile Interstate driving trips and will report some readings then.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How are things after the install. Do you have any numbers to report to us?

Temps outside:

Normal city driving:

Towing:

Towing up a mountain pass:

Thanks in advance!

Brent

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
So is this gauge reading temps before the radiator? If so, you're seeing elevated temperatures that will not correlate to what is going on in the transmission. The torque converter heats up the fluid as it's leaving the transmission. Just something to keep in mind. Under most conditions, it will be pretty accurate, but when you are towing up hill, those temps will be considerably higher than in the pan.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did a 2400 mile trip last month towing a 2200 lb utility trailer. SE Idaho to Boise,Bend Oregon,Crater Lake,Reno then to Yuma,AZ. I did see temperatures in the 240 area going up some of the grades in Crater Lake. Most of the open road temps were under 200. The thing about the temperature gauge it lets you know you are pushing things and you can do something about it. Example when it got near 240 I would force a downshift and the temps would go down without having to reduce speed all that much. The 3.6R engine had more than enough hp to pull the trailer. I tow at 60 mph or posted speed limit which ever is less. I did get 20 mpg hand calculated on the trip.
As for probe location I felt before the radiator cooler was the best location. I do not agree with using the transmission pan. The thing that gets hurt is the fluid. So I felt it best to monitor the location where the fluid will have the highest temperature which should be just before the radiator cooler. Also this is the location where you will see change in temperature first. There will be a significant time delay in the oil pan. If we keep the fluid in the safe range then the transmission should be OK.

·
Registered
2006 LLBean OBW 3.0R 5eat
85 Posts
Any area under the hood that would allow an additional air cooled transmission cooler. Air cool the tranny fluid before it goes into the radiator.

Put on onto a Ford Econline van to pull a Whaler from Oregon to Baja Sur. Also put a sprayer assembly to spray water down front of radiator, that really dropped the temp gauge reading on long grades.

OP nice pictures of installation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.