Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 3.6R that has typically ran really well. Recently replaced a cracked coil on it, and over the weekend had a new issue pop up. We were driving on the highway at about 70mph and it just "hiccuped" like it downshifted almost and then jumped back up. It was on Cruise control, but started going down a hill so it needed to adjust. I don't know how else to describe this, but I"m curious if anyone else has ran into this and what the cause was?

Thanks for any advice!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,965 Posts
miles you got on this ? when was the last time you changed the transmission fluid and with what ?
(and congrats on having a 3.6 with the great 5EAT)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
166k, bought it a few months ago. I’ll dig into transmission fluid as that’s where my initial thoughts went, something transmission related.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,965 Posts
166k, bought it a few months ago. I’ll dig into transmission fluid as that’s where my initial thoughts went, something transmission related.
the 5EAT is pretty great as far as transmissions
this takes subaru HP ATF. (as in high performance)
previous owner could have been skipping upkeep, or someone put the wrong or weaker spec fluid in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is quite an old thread, but just wanted to add my $0.02. I have a 2012 Outback 3.6R as well. I've had that exact same "hiccup" that you describe, as well as a "clunky" sound when the tranny downshifted while coming to an abrupt stop. In addition, my tranny was just generally acting sluggish, the only way I can describe it is that sometimes it felt like it would shift from 2nd to 4th and just take a while to get up to speed. When I checked the fluid level, I found out it was overfilled, so I got it up on my ramps and drained it. Got out a little over 4 qts, and added 3 qts of fresh fluid. Ran it for a bit and the hot level was perfect. That was a couple weeks ago and it's been running like a dream ever since. I'm gonna drain it again in another 5K miles and get some more fresh fluid in there. It's so easy to do and it's a cheap insurance policy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts