Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loud , rattling noise , can't feel any vibrating however. Initially sounded like exhaust parts.

This has been going on since we bought last November. And always with 2 variables .....

1- Temps under 50 degrees or so ( ie didn't hear it all summer, but just came back lately)

2- ONLY hear it at 1900 rpm, especially when slowly accelerating. If rpms jump quickly above 2000, you won't hear it. But if you hold the vehicle at 1900 , you can create the noise for 1/4 mile or more constant.

TEchs at the dealer haven't been able to locate issue . Replaced all the heat shields , no luck . It sounds like it's coming from the right , front of the car.

Any help ?? Driving us nuts ! No reason a brand new vehicle should sound this crazy.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Loud , rattling noise , can't feel any vibrating however. Initially sounded like exhaust parts.

This has been going on since we bought last November. And always with 2 variables .....

1- Temps under 50 degrees or so ( ie didn't hear it all summer, but just came back lately)

2- ONLY hear it at 1900 rpm, especially when slowly accelerating. If rpms jump quickly above 2000, you won't hear it. But if you hold the vehicle at 1900 , you can create the noise for 1/4 mile or more constant.

TEchs at the dealer haven't been able to locate issue . Replaced all the heat shields , no luck . It sounds like it's coming from the right , front of the car.

Any help ?? Driving us nuts ! No reason a brand new vehicle should sound this crazy.
I have read a few cases where a shield will rattle and the dealers are snugging them up as the cars come in and owners mention it. Good chance thats the same deal for you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Is it a 6sp, 5eat, or cvt?

If it only happens in the cold then that suggests that maybe it is a bushing/grommet that shrinks or gets stiff when cold, or hard plastic that gets stiffer than normal and rattles. since the exhaust heat shields under car have been replaced, I would check the air box/intake, get under car and make sure all of the plastic push pins are correctly inserted to hold all the bumper and trim pieces together. Maybe make sure the fog light housing and wiring are tight, check the wheel well liners and splash guards to make sure they are pinned and tight. otherwise maybe look around engine bay to see if there are any loose wiring bundles that could tap on the firewall or other parts. Might also check the heat shields on the headers in the engine bay.

That sucks, a new car shouldn't do that. I will forgive a car if it starts to get a few rattles here and there once it is older, something like 5 years or 50k plus miles, but not a new car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's the 2.5i CVT engine , which outside of this rattling , we absolutely love! Just spoke with customer care, and they'll contact the dealer we visit to further troubleshoot the issue. Hopefully something cosmetic that can be adjusted .....

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's the 2.5i CVT engine , which outside of this rattling , we absolutely love! Just spoke with customer care, and they'll contact the dealer we visit to further troubleshoot the issue. Hopefully something cosmetic that can be adjusted .....
So I have this same issue. What was the solution to fix this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
drmcn1nja
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing