Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2012 outback suddenly had the brake pedal go to the floor. I found fluid leaking underneath the back center of vehicle. My mechanic showed me the brake lines had rusted thru at the back of the vehicle where they meet together exiting the interior passageway. Anyone else hear of this problem? It was quite an expensive repair even without doing it by going thru the interior of vehicle.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,687 Posts
Gen 3 Outbacks had a recall to inspect brake lines if the car was in a rust-prone area, and some had to have corrosion inhibitor applied or were even replaced. First I heard of this for Gen 4 though. How is the rest of your undercarriage for rust; did these brake lines stand out?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,038 Posts
There's a recall on the brake master cylinder, check with your dealer, have your VIN handy.

There's a service bulletin on the electric park brake.

Nothing on the brake lines that I can find. It's a chore to repair it and can be costly so I'd recommend you contact your dealer to see off there's some remedy for you to keep cost down. Maybe check with SOA.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,231 Posts
Wow, Rusting out brake lines in such a short time is very unusual. Do you drive on the beach and in the surf often?

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6 , '11 OB 2.5 , '11 Legacy 2.5
238 Posts
There's a recall on the brake master cylinder, check with your dealer, have your VIN handy.

Nothing on the brake lines that I can find. It's a chore to repair it and can be costly so I'd recommend you contact your dealer to see off there's some remedy for you to keep cost down. Maybe check with SOA.
I didn't hear of the Master Cylinder recall, was it only for 2012 ( I have 2011s) ? Thanks !!

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,993 Posts
Just curious if Subaru had brake fluid replacement every 30K miles as required maintenance back in 2012, and if so has it been changed on schedule in this one?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gen 3 Outbacks had a recall to inspect brake lines if the car was in a rust-prone area, and some had to have corrosion inhibitor applied or were even replaced. First I heard of this for Gen 4 though. How is the rest of your undercarriage for rust; did these brake lines stand out?
The body of the car looks great, but there is the normal surface rust on the undercarriage due to the large amount of salt spread here in New York during the winter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks, I will check with SOA

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this car had complete brake jobs done at 43,000 miles and again at 85,000 miles. Fluid was flushed at both

1 - 13 of 13 Posts