Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just yesterday the cruise control started cutting off. It would stay engaged a few hundred yards and then cut off. I'd re engage it and it continuously cut off while saying on the dash it was on. Then on way back home from our grocery run the cruise would not cut on at all.

Any idea where I should look first besides fuses??

Many thanks for taking the time to help me!!!

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,912 Posts
CRUISE can be lit anytime the cruise is ON. SET appears when it's activated at the desired speed.

Is SET turning off while CRUISE stays on?
Can you tap RESUME and it speed back up to the set speed?
Do your brake lights work properly?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Loose nut behind the wheel?

But seriously. Not likely a fuse because.they are either blown or not. Could be that a wire is damaged, could be that the computer is glitching you could disconnect the battery and reset the ECU but you will need to.do the idle relearn as well.

I hate when the cruise control does not work. Use mine all the time. Keeps me away from the Cash Patrol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,912 Posts
DO NOT disconnect the battery. If there are faults stored on the computer, even "pending", you'll want to know what they are.

·
Registered
2012 Outback
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CRUISE can be lit anytime the cruise is ON. SET appears when it's activated at the desired speed.

Is SET turning off while CRUISE stays on?
Can you tap RESUME and it speed back up to the set speed?
At first SET turned off while CRUISE stayed on. Then I couldn't get SET to stay lit at all. Gave up and drove on to the grocery store. Got back on the highway and tried to cut the cruise on and nothing....

·
Registered
2012 Outback
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Loose nut behind the wheel?

But seriously. Not likely a fuse because.they are either blown or not. Could be that a wire is damaged, could be that the computer is glitching you could disconnect the battery and reset the ECU but you will need to.do the idle relearn as well.

I hate when the cruise control does not work. Use mine all the time. Keeps me away from the Cash Patrol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yes, there is a loose nut behind the wheel but, like you, I use the cruise all the time, everywhere, just to keep the Highway men off my back. Thanks for the response!

Reactions: scoopburt

·
Premium Member
15,912 Posts
Look to see if your brake lights stay on with the key ON, or the engine running. If they are, them this would indicate that the brake switch is ON and this kills the SET speed.

·
Registered
2012 Outback
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DO NOT disconnect the battery. If there are faults stored on the computer, even "pending", you'll want to know what they are.
OK, I will not disconnect the battery. I'll have to run by my mechanic tomorrow. Thanks so much for the response!! I just hope I can get it fixed, I want to sell this car asap!

·
Registered
2012 Outback
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Look to see if your brake lights stay on with the key ON, or the engine running. If they are, them this would indicate that the brake switch is ON and this kills the SET speed.
Interesting. Does this happen a lot?? My Outback has 185,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2012 Outback
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you're near austin and want to sell, hit me up.
Just so ya know but maybe you'd can offer a fix on this 2012 Outback. The transmission locked up somewhere around 70,000 miles under warrenty. The dealer put in the new one and the wife picked it up. When I drove it a few days later I noticed a lurch/pause when placing it in drive or reverse. Due to various reasons we never took it back to the dealer. Any idea how to fix this issue??

·
Registered
2018 3.6 Touring (Canadian, so Premium I guess?)
141 Posts
+1

I had a 2007 Pontiac G6, went in for warranty work (a lot, but that’s not the point here). The techs forgot to reattach the tail lights when they buttoned it all up, returned the vehicle to me. Left, driving on the highway, cruise wouldn’t stay SET. Returned to the dealership with the cruise control complaint, they found the brake lights were disconnected and said that’s what caused the cruise control failure (some kind of safety thing I think, since somebody behind you wouldn’t know you’re slowing down, maybe?). Either way, reconnected and all worked (until the next thing broke). Don’t know if blown lights could do the same, but they may be related.

·
Registered
2012 Outback
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
+1

I had a 2007 Pontiac G6, went in for warranty work (a lot, but that’s not the point here). The techs forgot to reattach the tail lights when they buttoned it all up, returned the vehicle to me. Left, driving on the highway, cruise wouldn’t stay SET. Returned to the dealership with the cruise control complaint, they found the brake lights were disconnected and said that’s what caused the cruise control failure (some kind of safety thing I think, since somebody behind you wouldn’t know you’re slowing down, maybe?). Either way, reconnected and all worked (until the next thing broke). Don’t know if blown lights could do the same, but they may be related.
Hey, thanks for the reply......I'll definitely look into the brake light.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
2,844 Posts
Just so ya know but maybe you'd can offer a fix on this 2012 Outback. The transmission locked up somewhere around 70,000 miles under warrenty. The dealer put in the new one and the wife picked it up. When I drove it a few days later I noticed a lurch/pause when placing it in drive or reverse. Due to various reasons we never took it back to the dealer. Any idea how to fix this issue??
did they tighten all the mounts?
did they do the relearn?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts