Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I recall he showed the video to someone at Subaru and they told the dealer for sure the car was not correct and the dealer got on it. Some of the worst efforts to fix an issue is getting the dealer to look at parts that almost never ever fail which case a brand new car the CV joints and diff's are the last thing a dealer will ever think of as having an issue. Given generally those parts are never an issue except that one random case where the part just wasn't right from the start.
cool, thanks. i think i'm still going to have a fight on my hands but the car should not behave like this and there's no reason that i shouldn't expect it to be fixed.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
"pretty hard driving" = accelerating up to 65mph? have any of you ever driven in New Jersey?

re: manual vs. auto mode - the problem is the same. i had a similar thought as you but it makes no difference. also, the rpms dropping isn't really what is bothering us, it's the car violently shuddering that has me/my wife concerned. even if i thought that it was just some quirk of the cvt transmission, it shouldn't make the entire car shudder.
I'm very familiar with hard driving. If you're not dropping the hammer the high revs could be indicative of a more severe problem. The fact that the dealership suggested that the CVT runs at a higher rev than a conventional automatic leads me to believe that they don't know or don't care that you're having a problem with your car. At speed it should settle in to a very comfortable RPM with no shudder.

Do you have another dealership you can take it to. Perhaps it's a throttle issue.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I'm very familiar with hard driving. If you're not dropping the hammer the high revs could be indicative of a more severe problem. The fact that the dealership suggested that the CVT runs at a higher rev than a conventional automatic leads me to believe that they don't know or don't care that you're having a problem with your car. At speed it should settle in to a very comfortable RPM with no shudder.

Do you have another dealership you can take it to. Perhaps it's a throttle issue.
Electronic throttle could be the cause. That would an easy fix if it were the case.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

forget the "high revs". the rpms are fine, and consistent with how i expect the car to perform given the throttle input i am giving it. if i was feathering the throttle and it was revving up to 5k i'd be concerned. normal acceleration i want and expect it to rev high.

i'm extremely surprised by the overreaction to the rpms. i should be able to beat the crap out of the car without it slipping and shuddering. but i'm not beating the crap out of the car, i'm simply trying to get on the highway which is a normal every day driving situation. and if hitting the gas pedal at or near full throttle is "hard driving" (which i'm not even doing that) then i guess i should go look at a car that isn't a total piece of crap. i could see doing repeated neutral drops but come on...

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
forget the "high revs". the rpms are fine, and consistent with how i expect the car to perform given the throttle input i am giving it. if i was feathering the throttle and it was revving up to 5k i'd be concerned. normal acceleration i want and expect it to rev high.

i'm extremely surprised by the overreaction to the rpms. i should be able to beat the crap out of the car without it slipping and shuddering. but i'm not beating the crap out of the car, i'm simply trying to get on the highway which is a normal every day driving situation. and if hitting the gas pedal at or near full throttle is "hard driving" (which i'm not even doing that) then i guess i should go look at a car that isn't a total piece of crap. i could see doing repeated neutral drops but come on...
Your assuming all of subarus do it. they don't. Bad CV joint which slips up under heavy load would for sure give you some odd behavior like what your seeing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Your assuming all of subarus do it. they don't. Bad CV joint which slips up under heavy load would for sure give you some odd behavior like what your seeing.
assuming all subarus do what? allow the engine to rev higher than 3500 rpm? i'm completely unconcerned about what rpm the engine is at given the throttle input, i am concerned that something is causing the transmission to behave irradically and cause a violent shudder, and that even though the dealer admitted there was an issue once (and went through the trouble of replacing the entire transmission) that they now deny there is any problem.

it could still be a fault with the ECU/TCU, or something mechanical like you mentioned the diff. what i do know is that it's not right and was hoping that someone on here had experienced something similar.

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Outback, 2015 2.5i Legacy w/Eyesight
589 Posts
assuming all subarus do what? allow the engine to rev higher than 3500 rpm? i'm completely unconcerned about what rpm the engine is at given the throttle input, i am concerned that something is causing the transmission to behave irradically and cause a violent shudder, and that even though the dealer admitted there was an issue once (and went through the trouble of replacing the entire transmission) that they now deny there is any problem.

it could still be a fault with the ECU/TCU, or something mechanical like you mentioned the diff. what i do know is that it's not right and was hoping that someone on here had experienced something similar.
The point is that none of the cars from the people who drive the same model car behave the same way yours does (at least from those commenting).

The general thought from people commenting on it: If your car was behaving normally, then you wouldn't have to rev it as high as you are to get it to move as fast as you want.

Just because your engine can hit 5k RPMs on a regular basis doesn't mean it should have to in order to give you the performance you want. The basic fact is that something might have been broken on your car all along that causes you to need to put your engine at higher revs in order to get reasonable acceleration (energy is not being transferred as efficiently as it should be--therefore you don't get as much acceleration as you would if your car was working correctly and at lower RPMs). Because of a pre-existing condition you don't notice because you don't know anything different, something else breaks that you actually do notice (probably because something else has been working wrong the entire time and overworked the new failing component) simply because the behavior is different and degraded to a now unacceptable level. I am not saying this is what happened, but merely why it is receiving the amount of attention it is. Having to rev your engine that high on a regular basis to accelerate at a reasonable clip just seems off to me.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
...one thing you learn very quickly when you tow trailers - is how to drive the car
in its power band and trust me its never pedal mashed down doing 5000+ rpm.
Unless your driving a car built in such a way it doesn't even produce its peak power
till your way up there in the RPM's. Subaru doesn't make any vehicle like that.
One thing you (should have) learned in high school physics is that maximum
acceleration happens at maximum power. For the 2.5i that's 5600 rpm and
wide-open-throttle. For the 3.6R, it's 6600 rpm and wide-open-throttle. So,
a Gen4 OB's max power is always "pedal mashed down doing 5000+ rpm"
(2.0 diesel excepted).

...Mother Soobie and my homie Isaac say so,

Looby

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
One thing you (should have) learned in high school physics is that maximum