Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Outback, with a little over 14k miles, has a click sound coming from the shift area as the vehicle comes to a stop. It only makes this noise while in Drive-not reverse. Anyone have similar situations-or solutions to this annoying problem.
PS: Otherwise the vehicle is in great shape....and really enjoy driving this car.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Search shift lock - this is a mechanism that locks the shifter to prevent accidental gear shifting by a bumped shift lever. Both of my Toyota's did this also some times its louder some times its not. Subaru is no different and several people complained about it early on.

·
Registered
2012 3.6R OB Limited - Moonroof - Ice Silver
296 Posts
Early on...my a$$. I continually complain about it as it is present in my 11, 12 and 13. Two Outbacks and a Legacy. It is a grating sound that wears on me at every f'ing stop. No other car I have ever driven, and it has been many, has ever made this sound.

When I test drove my Legacy last month I paid extra special attention to this potential "feature" and to my surprise it was not present. I thought they had finally figured it out as part of the "changes" for the 13 model year. I was wrong. 400 miles in and this click is as loud as it ever was in either of my 2 Outbacks.

How can this be a normal sound if it was not there for the first 2 weeks of ownership? If that is Subaru's argument, which by the way it is, then they are obviously using a substandard part that should be replaced.

edmar, you will have to get used to this wonderful sound because it is going nowhere. I think Subaru's official fix is to keep the music loud. I've replaced the shifter, added insulation inside the shifter, tried a bit of lithium grease where the solenoid contacts the shifter, all to no avail.

I guarantee we are not the only ones dealing with this annoyance, unless my 100% hit rate is just my luck. I'm all ears if anyone has figured out a fix for this.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
The GM product I rented a few weeks ago had the same click. The shift locks used in all cars are a electric magnetic switch they all click when activated.

If it bothers you that much get a Mercedes that has insulation on the underside of the center console. Or yes turn up your radio

·
Registered
296 Posts
The GM product I rented a few weeks ago had the same click. The shift locks used in all cars are a electric magnetic switch they all click when activated.

If it bothers you that much get a Mercedes that has insulation on the underside of the center console. Or yes turn up your radio
Thanks for the brilliant suggestion. Why didn't I think of that? Douche

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Thanks for the brilliant suggestion. Why didn't I think of that? Douche
Next you'll be complaining about the ABS check and the noise tires make when they go around and a round. Or maybe that engine sound that happens when you press the throttle.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
No seriously people there are mechanical sounds that happen in a vehicle the shift lock is one of them.

The last ford I drove I noticed they try to mask the ABS check by having it happen when the Auto door Locks slam down which are louder than my old VW which I thought was pretty loud.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
I really wish something could be done about this. drives me crazy when the wife is in the car because she hates music and I don't care about whatever breaking news that is only relevant for the day so all I have to listen to is that stupid clicking.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Next you'll be complaining about the ABS check and the noise tires make when they go around and a round. Or maybe that engine sound that happens when you press the throttle.
No, those noises are all explainable, unlike most of the noises that come from your piehole I fear. Again, thanks for the constructive dialogue. BTW Dr. Subaru, any idea why a startling honking sound emanates from the front of my car when I press on the center of the steering wheel?

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
No, those noises are all explainable, unlike most of the noises that come from your piehole I fear. Again, thanks for the constructive dialogue. BTW Dr. Subaru, any idea why a startling honking sound emanates from the front of my car when I press on the center of the steering wheel?
GET A MT they don't have a shift LOCK.

Besides who is complaining here and calling people names?

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
My $52,000 Land Cruiser had the same click you think Subaru selling cheap $25K AWD cars is going to do some special thing for the few people complaining about a switch making a click sound?

Get over your self your not that important

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
I too have owned many, many other cars and none of them do this. I don't think the wife's impreza does it yet. it only has 9k miles less than my outback and mine has been clicking a very very long time.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My $52,000 Land Cruiser had the same click you think Subaru selling cheap $25K AWD cars is going to do some special thing for the few people complaining about a switch making a click sound?

Get over your self your not that important
There's the subiesailor I've come to know and feel sorry for. First off, nice grammar...it's yourself not your self and you're not your. Second, congratulations on owning a $52000 car. I knew you would somehow work your financial status into this conversation.

Maybe you could stop being a Subaru apologist. If you can't do that, maybe you could just stop posting at all. This is a place for Subaru owners who are having issues to try to tap the vast knowledge of the owners who use this site to come to some sort of resolution. Not for some prick to advise me to buy a MB if I don't like a certain click sound.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
There's the subiesailor I've come to know and feel sorry for. First off, nice grammar...it's yourself not your self and you're not your. Second, congratulations on owning a $52000 car. I knew you would somehow work your financial status into this conversation.

Maybe you could stop being a Subaru apologist. If you can't do that, maybe you could just stop posting at all. This is a place for Subaru owners who are having issues to try to tap the vast knowledge of the owners who use this site to come to some sort of resolution. Not for some prick to advise me to buy a MB if I don't like a certain click sound.
Simple Prulex if you spent more time learning about **** and making more money you wouldn't be wasting your time complaining about something used in EVERY AUTO sold.
Get a MT

·
Registered
296 Posts
I too have owned many, many other cars and none of them do this. I don't think the wife's impreza does it yet. it only has 9k miles less than my outback and mine has been clicking a very very long time.
Thanks for chiming in, bradze. With the amount of owners on this site and the fact that I know most if not all OBs and Legacies have this click, you would expect a more comprehensive conversation on this subject. Instead I feel like it's only you and me having this issue.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Thanks for chiming in, bradze. With the amount of owners on this site and the fact that I know most if not all OBs and Legacies have this click, you would expect a more comprehensive conversation on this subject. Instead I feel like it's only you and me having this issue.
If you look at the posters on this site there about 15 regulars - that does not represent the 1000's of Subarus sold with shift locks on the AUTO box.

Go to GM - Ford etc and if you dig around enough you will find a couple of people complaining about the ABS check - the shift lock switch and all the other mechanical things cars do.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Simple Prulex if you spent more time learning about **** and making more money you wouldn't be wasting your time complaining about something used in EVERY AUTO sold.
Get a MT
Hey professor, how much money should I be aiming for? Is $250K enough? How much do you make again? I know you've told us all before. Should I have more than a Masters degree? Will that give me the intimate knowledge of how transmissions work? I think it's about time to get out of your parents' basement...the sun's up.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Hey professor, how much money should I be aiming for? Is $250K enough? How much do you make again? I know you've told us all before. Should I have more than a Masters degree? Will that give me the intimate knowledge of how transmissions work? I think it's about time to get out of your parents' basement...the sun's up.
Given your complaining about a 25K car with a electro magnetic switch used by all auto makers.
I'd say you need to make 1 million or more given you'll need enough to have a custom car built just for you. Make sure they know that you hate electronic switches that click.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Sorry been up since 4am dealing with my India team. Some of the wealthiest people in the world didn't finish college they were too busy learning how to make their idea work.

Smart people like to know how sh-t works be it complex networks, Genetics or how to make **** loads of money in a business where good returns usually are no more that 15%. Making that business make 50% returns on the other hand is impressive for any business.

Prulex - more reading and tinkering less time bitching maybe your life will be much better?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts