Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback,2003 Legacy GT
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a bad DRL (Daytime running Lights) relay. I think one of the contacts was not making good contact. I had some weird readings, 8 to 11vdc, when checking voltage across the load side of the High Beam relay base.

I ended up swapping relays with the main fan to verify the bad DRL relay. I used the bottom side of the fuse panel cover to find out what is what. I did put the relays back in their original spot. I will probably go to local parts store to get one since I live about 40 minutes from a Subaru dealer. Good luck everyone.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,390 Posts
Call them, see if they'll make arrangements to help you out.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,348 Posts
have a 2012 legacy, hi beams inop. have voltage both pins hi -beam connector.
Normal!

+12 is applied to one side of the bulb and the bulbs are turned on by GROUNDING the other side of the bulb via relay.

If you see +12 on BOTH sides of the bulb, this means the fuse is good and your next logical place to look is the relay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also having the same issue with my 2012 2.5i. Did buying a new rely fix the issue? I found it rather odd that so many 2012s are having the same problem.

I got the limited (mid model) with auto headlights (not sure if that is standard). This is common between everyone?

I wonder if Subaru got a hold of some bad rely or rely boxes? Not sure they it'd take two years for the problem to surface.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Have the same problem in my 2012 Outback 2.5i Premium. Problem Correction: 1st step, dealer service department (adviser/mechanic) said that the hi-beam bulbs had burned out, so they replaced the bulbs. That didn't fix the problem. 2nd step, their diagnosis was that the hi-beam switch was faulty (a short), so they replaced the switch. That didn't fix the problem. 3rd step -- service adviser said the car may have been in collision. I said, not since I owned the car and there is no evidence of body work. Next he said, rodents may have chewed through harness wiring, I said, look at the harness and their is no evidence of harness damage --Argh!. Fourth step, service adviser, said there is a short somewhere and the harness will have to be replaced, since the car is 5 months out of warrantee -- cost of parts and labor, to me, estimated at $1,500 -- double Argh!, and work is not authorized. 5th step, meeting with service manager and shop foreman, today, to discuss repair. 6th step will be with Subaru factory representative to discuss repair. So far, I have incurred approximately, $200+ to get to step 3.

·
Registered
18,413 Posts
The first poster reported "I found a bad DRL (Daytime running Lights) relay." This was apparently confirmed by swapping in a relay of the same type from the fan circuit. I would imagine that with the new relay installed all was well, and the poster didn't see a need to follow-up.

RayOK. Your review of the dealer work is good but doesn't provide as much work detail as I would have expected the technicians to have done.

Diagnosing the headlight system shouldn't be all that hard for the shop techs, and if the DRLs don't work (they use the same high beam bulbs) then that eliminates the headlight switch and hi/low switch as possible causes.

Did the techs find 12 V at the two high beam bulbs when the engine is running and the parking brake released? If not, did they check/replace the fuses? Did they check/replace the high beam headlight relay? Did they check/replace the DRL relay? Did they check for continuity from the low side of the bulbs through the DRL resistor to ground?

The body integrated unit (BIU) controls the high beam headlight relay and the DRL relay. For the DRLs to work, the high beam relay is activated, but the DRL relay is not. If the fuses and relays are confirmed good, did they check to see if the BIU is activating the headlight relay in order to apply 12 V to the bulbs?

There are suggestions of wiring problems. Did they actually test for continuity (to deal with the "rodent" suggestion) or shorts to ground?

Perhaps something was overlooked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently had the same problem occur on my 2013 Outback. The dashboard icon lights up when the switch is engaged manually but the lights don't work. Coincidently, I have also noted that my heated front seats feel as if they are on intermittently but the switches are not lit up indicating that the high or low levels are switched on.

I will check the voltage as soon as I can (knee surgery 6 days ago) however I am worried that my wife will drive the car. In the meantime, has anyone found a solution to this problem?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts