Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm doing this right, new to the forum and also a new Subaru owner. I've done lots of reading on these cars and I'm familiar with many of the issues. I got a great deal, or I feel as if I did, on a 2012 Limited outback. Its almost immaculate inside and out, was purchased locally by a Dentist who's grown son still lives at home and drives an hour and a half to work one way each day. All maintenance from 2 miles until now has been preformed by the local Subaru dealership and I have all in hand. I got it for $4,200,,and it just had a major service done 250 miles ago. It had new timing belt, idle pulleys, crank pulley, water pump, plugs, coils, catalytic converter and 02 sensor. The previous owner had just spent $2,800 on service. The car just turned 218,000 miles but looks and drives like a new car. It has the cvt which we really like and have drove in other manufacturers but lots of reading has got me a little skeptical of how long its gonna hold up. With the miles I have on this car is there anything else someone can suggest maintenance wise to prevent break downs and extend my life. It's always had full synthetic oil ran it. I haven't found any service material at all I can perform on the cvt, but wondered if I could get some advice from you guys who have owned these and have more experience than myself. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just normal maintenance as described in the factory warranty and maintenance manual. Be careful a lot of dealers will try to sell you extra maintenance that isn't needed. If in doubt tell them you will check on it then ask on here. Also you do not need to use Subaru brand oil or filters, they are fine but you can usually get good brand name items at the local Walmart or auto parts store for less.

Car looks good in the picture, hope you have good luck with it.

Here is a link for a maintenance schedule for 2012: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/maintenance3.html

·
Registered
97 Posts
I hope I'm doing this right, new to the forum and also a new Subaru owner. I've done lots of reading on these cars and I'm familiar with many of the issues. I got a great deal, or I feel as if I did, on a 2012 Limited outback. Its almost immaculate inside and out, was purchased locally by a Dentist who's grown son still lives at home and drives an hour and a half to work one way each day. All maintenance from 2 miles until now has been preformed by the local Subaru dealership and I have all in hand. I got it for $4,200,,and it just had a major service done 250 miles ago. It had new timing belt, idle pulleys, crank pulley, water pump, plugs, coils, catalytic converter and 02 sensor. The previous owner had just spent $2,800 on service. The car just turned 218,000 miles but looks and drives like a new car. It has the cvt which we really like and have drove in other manufacturers but lots of reading has got me a little skeptical of how long its gonna hold up. With the miles I have on this car is there anything else someone can suggest maintenance wise to prevent break downs and extend my life. It's always had full synthetic oil ran it. I haven't found any service material at all I can perform on the cvt, but wondered if I could get some advice from you guys who have owned these and have more experience than myself. Thanks for any help. View attachment 471016
What a deal! Its got some miles but those maintenance records and highway mileage make up for a lot.
If it were mine, I'd just keep up the good work. It should serve you well. I cant speak to the issue of head gaskets blowing like others can. That was one of the expen$ive "maintenance" costs ive always told perspective subaru buyers to save up for. Sooner or later, it was at high risk to happen on the older models with 2.5 liter engine s.
Not sure if thats been corrected by the engineers.
Oh, one more thing. If you do your own maintenance, buy a Chilton or Haynes manual. The same info is on line, but there's something about a paper book next to the car that i like. It will list EVERY maintenance schedule, how to dyi and fix most issues. Your local parts store might have it, probably less than $20.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
PS: you're new like me, so in case you didn't know, there's a section specifically on Gen 4, 2012.

You might find more info on this question there.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
You did not mention if the CVT fluid was replaced.

I never EVER ask dealership to just "do some maintenance". I always specify EXACTLY what I expect them to do. Like others have said above, many dealerships hear this as a blank check to do whatever they want and charge you for it.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Oh, one more thing. If you do your own maintenance, buy a Chilton or Haynes manual.
Disagree on the Chilton/Haynes manuals. Find a factory service manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, thanks for all the responses, I failed to mention I do most all my own maintenance, I've been big into diesel work for several years, own several dodge Cummins trucks that's running major horsepower, and we owned a Jetta TDI common rail diesel which had the bad cam, I did a complete top end rebuild myself. Also owned a 2006 Jeep liberty diesel and did a top end on it at 200,000. Believe me, after reading through the service history I realized real quick these guys were good salesman. I've been a servicer myself all my life in the appliance field and hvac, was an authorized warranty servicer for all the appliance manufacturers, so I know how they push you to sell service that's not needed. After reading the years of head issues Subaru had I almost backed out of Subaru, but I really like the awd feature and fuel mileage and my wife is in medical field and has to go no matter how bad the roads get, and I've never let service stop me from making a purchase. And from looking at everything, the Subaru is one of the most service friendly vehicles I've owned in years, everything is at your fingertips. Also, the factory service manual is a must have, does anyone have a suggestion on where to find the genuine Subaru book, I know you can get digital copies but I'm old school I like a paper book to lay on my fender and look at.
Thanks guys for all the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You did not mention if the CVT fluid was replaced.

I never EVER ask dealership to just "do some maintenance". I always specify EXACTLY what I expect them to do. Like others have said above, many dealerships hear this as a blank check to do whatever they want and charge you for it.
You know, I searched through pages of service history on this thing and couldn't find one place where there was anything done to the cvt. They usually oversell all their maintenance so I was surprised there was no fluid change on the cvt. I'm completely new with the cvt and not real sure what the fluid does inside the transmission since from what I've read the transmission is belt drive. Once I get my hands on a service manual I'll know more. Thanks for your post.

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
With the miles I have on this car is there anything else someone can suggest maintenance wise to prevent break downs and extend my life.
That's great it's got a full Subaru timing component kit - that's far more than most dealers do and it's $$$ for them to do it. That's all the stuff I replace for the best 100k reliability. Very good score...although obviously you could have done that all yourself but that's $300+ in parts alone.

Change the CVT fluid. I'd probably change it now, again at 30,000 miles, and then maximum 60k thereafter.

Brakes: Replace the pad clips and clean/regrease the slides with Sil Glyde or better (not generic caliper grease), and replace the slide pin bushings if needed.

If it's been all dealer maintained and the vehicle has never been in a rust prone area, the bushings are likely okay. Any new to me Subaru over 100k is getting that stuff almost immediately due to possible rust. It gives nearly showroom floor brake longevity and you'll never need to replace the calipers or rotors outside of outliers - accidents, wheel bearings or some other cause like that.

Subaru OEM brake pad kits are an excellent blend of performance, longevity and come with new pad clips. Clean the slide and regrease with Sil Glyde or other high quality caliper grease, don't use generic. Bosch quiet cast come highly recommended by one of the top well versed Subaru shops in Portland Oregon so i go with those. Very good kit, i think they come with pad clips too. Though I have seen some aftermarket pad clips rust quicker than OEM...but I haven't used the Bosch enough to see a difference over time.

Synthetic oil - the oil control rings will thank you. High mileage Subaru's burn oil because the oil control rings being compromised due to oil. Frequent changes, synthetic oil, and good change intervals mitigate this. They generally do well with the cheapest on sale oil and filters if you change it often, never let it get low (so it's cycling too fast), never overheat the car, don't see performance applications like tow/race. better choices, like synthetic, are more forgiving of those possibilities. Anyway I'm not recommending that but just an FYI since you're well versed in this stuff already.

Replace power steering and brake fluid if it hasn't been done recently.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Almost three years ago I found a factory service manual (on CD) advertised on amazon.com for about $12 for the 2013 Legacy / Outback models. I took a chance and ordered a copy and it has turned out to be a great find. The only drawback is that it is not indexed so you must scroll through thousands of pages to find what you need. I do not mind that as much as I did when I first obtained my copy because the more I utilize the CD, the more familiar I get with how its various sections are organized.

The strange thing was that they also included a CD for the 2010 / 2011 Legacy / Outback models. I have no need for it so if you will cover the cost of shipping, I will send it to you. PM me if you are interested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts