Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2012 outback. It was a totaled vehicle that a shop had purchased at auction and rebuilt. It came with one key and no owners manual. On the engine, there are stickers saying there is a factory installed remote starter. I purchased a subaru remote start key fob on ebay, but I can't find instructions anywhere to program to the remote starter. (I've found things for 2008 and older, but nothing for the 2012). Does anyone know how to program the remote start? Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
965 Posts
You can go to techinfo.subaru.com to pull the PDF for the remote start install.

Here is what I think I remember from when I installed this myself:

- The remote starter unit itself (the box under the dash) is "an additional key" that needs to be programmed by a dealer. Since yours is already there this part is likely done.
- The remote start key fob is not considered an additional key, but just a means to "enable" the remote starter unit. As such, adding a remote start fob does not require dealership programming (I'm on thin ice here but I seem to remember this is how it works)
- How do you then add a remote start key fob to the remote start unit? I think the PDF actually tells you how to. Let me know if you can't find the PDF or think I'm wrong after reading it and I will read back up on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I was looking through the files and am a bit stumped still. Maybe I'm not looking at the right thing?

Looking at the transmitter flash and beep sequence, mine will do the 2 long flashes after you press it twice, the option showing that it hasn't received a signal back from the car.

I tried seeing if it was in service mode, but that process did nothing as the car isn't picking up the signal from the fob.

So I'm back to the point of trying to figure out how to get the fob and the car to talk to each other. I didn't see it in the PDF. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
965 Posts
That's a bummer. I didn't double check but there is another post later in that same thread that has instructions - I assume they are identical. And I seem to recall they are the same as what I've seen on my printed documentation (that I can't find).

I think it's time to verify you actually have an OE remote starter unit installed. If you review the install guide you'll see that it's sitting under the driver side dash. You should poke around and see if you can find it and verify it's all hooked up correctly. You should also verify that there aren't any blown or missing fuses.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I will check and see if I can see it.

I bought my FOB on ebay. Could it be that it's not the right one? I got the one that went for a 2012 Subaru Outback, so I would assume that it's correct?

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
965 Posts
Mine (also for my 2012 Outback) has a model number of 4360415 on the back of the transmitter. It looks like this:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks!

I found the same fob you have on ebay for $15 so I went ahead and ordered it. Fingers crossed that's all it is.

My husband went and looked at the car briefly, he said he couldn't find an antenna, but if the remote start were factory installed, he wasn't sure if there would be an external antenna.

We may also have to take it to Subaru one day to verify there is a remote start installed. Since the car was totaled, even though the damage was mostly to the front bumper, there is also the possibility that the sticker that says there's a remote start is installed is a piece he replaced when fixing the car and there isn't a remote start installed. Although the car is a higher end model, leather seats, etc. so my husband thinks it should have been a standard option with that model. (It doesn't have the built in GPS though, so maybe it doesn't?)

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
965 Posts
Hmm.... not convinced there wouldn't be an antenna just because it was factory installed (if it even was factory installed, most of them are likely dealer installed despite what any sticker may say). The remote starter was NOT a standard option with any of the trims, including the Limited trim.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts