Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

As the title says, I have a 2012 outback with 122k miles. I just started experiencing a weird issue. When driving over 55 mph about every 0.7 to 1 mile the engine will feel like it "catches" and suddenly the RPMs go from 2k to 3k for a moment, and then I hear a brief whine (kind of like air coming out of a stretched balloon end), and then it goes away until the next 0.7 or 1 mile. It sounds like the sound is coming from the front of the car, and my best guess is front, passenger side. I do feel a slight vibration through the pedal when the engine revs, but that is it. No check engine or other lights are on. This does not happen at all on city streets - only highways, and especially the interstate around 70 mph. When on a recent trip, it did this for intermittently about every mile for the first 20 miles, and then stopped for the rest of the trip (300+ miles). Now, a few weeks later after just driving it in the city, I went out on the interstate again, and the problem is still there.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
I want to say your main crankshaft belt is slipping. There were some threads regarding glazing of the crank pulley as a possible cause as well. Swap out that belt and check the crank pully for glazing.
See my response on another thread just a moment ago.

Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
Your about at the mileage where the Valve Body starts acting up. You're also within the 10 year/100k mile warranty for the CVT which means free repairs on the CVT at your dealership if it's the problem. It could be the torque converter clutch, CVT chain slip, or the drive belt as @traildogck mentioned in the other post.

Registered
Your about at the mileage where the Valve Body starts acting up. You're also within the 10 year/100k mile warranty for the CVT which means free repairs on the CVT at your dealership if it's the problem. It could be the torque converter clutch, CVT chain slip, or the drive belt as @traildogck mentioned in the other post.
If the car has 122K miles and the CVT has a 100K warranty,how do you figure that the CVT would have any warranty left? The car is well over 100K.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
If the car has 122K miles and the CVT has a 100K warranty,how do you figure that the CVT would have any warranty left? The car is well over 100K.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
My bad. OOPS. For some reason I had 75k miles in my head when I posted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts