Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We after 50,000 miles in 18 months I sold my 2012 White limited with Navigation for a 2013 White limited without navigation. First impressions, WOW!
Much more power or it feels that way, steering feels tighter, car is quieter and it just feels better in every-way.Glad I did not get the Navigation, the radio is much easier to use and now my I-Pod works right. I can see the artist and change to songs and artists while driving. Also the Bluetooth works much better. Now,my 2012 was flawless and I never had a single problem or warranty repair. At 50K the brakes and tires looked new, alway got 30-36 mpg and never used a drop of oil.

On the way home from the dealership we have a 60 mile drive. I reset the MPG gauge and after 30 miles at 65 mph all I could get was 24 mpg, I reset it again and drove 76 mph, that was the sweet spot with my old one, well 32.6 mpg indicated.It seems that these Outbacks like running in the 70 mph plus range. For those that are complaining at gas miles try it and report.
With my wife driving 3K a month plus I will report next month. Lets hope this one is as good as the last.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
515 Posts
If you're just using the electronic indicator to tell you the mileage your getting, give Fuelly a try. You can measure you mileage quite precisely, and will know if you're getting a true reading or not on your car's indicator.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium CVT, AWP, Steel Silver
826 Posts
"always got 30 to 36 mpg"??? Really?
You should have kept the old car, that was one of those govt specials that was never supposed to be sold to the public.

·
Registered
2011 Prem. 2.5i, 1999 Outback
258 Posts
The reading given by fuelly is always less MPG than indicated by my car gauge. (as much as 2 MPG less)

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
You should have kept the old car, that was one of those govt
specials that was never supposed to be sold to the public.
Anyone have the manual page for replacing the F.I. with one of
those CIA-surplus 300 mpg carburetors they're selling on eBay?

...the truth is out there,

Looby

·
Registered
2011 outback,2.5 Ruby Red
209 Posts
My gauge was always within 1/2 a gallon per mile doing it long hand. We will see what this one is once it breaks in.
I must say that when I travel just I-5 from Seattle to LA, I do average 33.5-34.3 at 67-70MPH. That is with a Skybox loaded too and air is on all the way to and from. Oil is Mobil1 5w30 SYN. tires at 36F-34R. Of course Red is the fastest
color.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I must say that when I travel just I-5 from Seattle to LA, I do average 33.5-34.3 at 67-70MPH. That is with a Skybox loaded too and air is on all the way to and from. Oil is Mobil1 5w30 SYN. tires at 36F-34R. Of course Red is the fastest
color.
We do that typical trip 2-3 times a year. 67-70mph on I5 can offer a wide range of possible mileage returns. Last summer we had 200 miles of 15-20mph head winds which dropped our previous average with sleek narrow Thule roof box from 28.5 mpg hand calculated average to 23mpg average due to the head wind.

All time best fuel average has been 55-60mph with hills where coasting with the fuel shut off feature plays into the mix. Medford OR to Pasco via Rogue River/Bend/Columbia River was 33mpg for the entire tank fill up to fill up.

No box - no head wind I5 to LA best ever mileage in countless trips with 40K on the clock was this past years trip for Thanksgiving. Oddly enough it was 10hrs of stop and go traffic we only saw 70+ speeds once both directions and the top mileage for that stretch and full tanks were hand calculated 32mpg both ways.
Same trip same time of the year prior 70mph cruise the whole way both directions 28.5mpg.

Make sure your hand calculating your average for the tank the car's computer is easily fooled to show higher than actual mileage numbers. Heck if I don't reset the computer till after I get on the highway and set my cruise I can post 33-34mpg computer average for nearly every tank but thats not the true mileage when you run the fuel vs actual miles covered.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Satin White Pearl
224 Posts
We after 50,000 miles in 18 months I sold my 2012 White limited with Navigation for a 2013 White limited without navigation. First impressions, WOW!
Much more power or it feels that way, steering feels tighter, car is quieter and it just feels better in every-way.Glad I did not get the Navigation, the radio is much easier to use and now my I-Pod works right. I can see the artist and change to songs and artists while driving. Also the Bluetooth works much better. Now,my 2012 was flawless and I never had a single problem or warranty repair. At 50K the brakes and tires looked new, alway got 30-36 mpg and never used a drop of oil.

On the way home from the dealership we have a 60 mile drive. I reset the MPG gauge and after 30 miles at 65 mph all I could get was 24 mpg, I reset it again and drove 76 mph, that was the sweet spot with my old one, well 32.6 mpg indicated.It seems that these Outbacks like running in the 70 mph plus range. For those that are complaining at gas miles try it and report.
With my wife driving 3K a month plus I will report next month. Lets hope this one is as good as the last.
What are you using for your navigation needs? Are you able to use your phone's system to do Bluetooth calling and still get turn by turn voice directions on your phone's system? My HTC can't do both when paired with my 2013.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
What are you using for your navigation needs? Are you able to use your phone's system to do Bluetooth calling and still get turn by turn voice directions on your phone's system? My HTC can't do both when paired with my 2013.
Mine does both. Paired with a Nexus S 4g, which at this point is a pretty old phone.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Satin White Pearl
224 Posts
Mine does both. Paired with a Nexus S 4g, which at this point is a pretty old phone.
Thanks Nickshu. I am specifically looking for OB owners that don't have the nav system built in, and if I'm reading your post correctly, it shows you have the Subaru nav built in.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I am glad I got this with without Navigation, I have a Galaxy Nexus 3 and use Goggle Maps. 100 times better than my old Navigation. It gives me real time traffic in 3D and for free. Most of the time my wife has Pandora on or Rdio, spelled correctly on via Bluetooth so we don't try and stream the maps. I can hear the voice commands fine via my her phone but either way she seldom uses Maps, The Outback is my wife's M-F only car, she drives a 2013 Audi S5 Cab on the weekend when it's sunny and nice ONLY.She puts 35K plus on her Outback a year, 99% high and her Audi is 5 months new and has 800 miles. Trust me, don't was your money on the Navigation unless you want one other the other forced packages. I don't see how you can Bluetooth both at the same time. She loved the SAP but didn't want Navigation, she she got the exact same car as her 2012.Pearl white/tan. We just put a Venture Shield over the complete front of the car, including lights. We have this on all our cars. Good luck, for those that are reading this try and check you mpg @ 74-76 steady. This is the perfect speed. Op's sorry officer!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts