Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks-

I had initiated another thread asking about OB vs Acura TSX. It looks like I'll be leaning more towards the OB now, one of the major factors being the future of the TSX line in Acura.

Today, I went to the dealer to test drive a 2013 OB. (Previously, I had test driven only a 2012 model). The dealer didn't have any 2013 2.5i that I could test drive. He had the 3.6 versions though, which I'm not interested.

And the *WORST* part, the helper guy in the dealership kept on saying that there is ABSOLUTELY no difference between the 2012 and 2013 models. When I told him it is a slightly different engine and CVT, he kind of laughed at me :-( I think he felt that since I've already test driven a 2012 model, I should base my decision purely based on that.

But, I just can't curtail my curiosity. I'm sure there are folks here who have driven both the 2012 and 2013 models... Waiting to hear from such folks.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 Tungsten Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight. My 6th Subaru.
332 Posts
I so want to think that those people are ignorant and not liars.

·
Registered
'13 2.5Ltd w/EyeSight ::::: '02 2.5Ltd AT
95 Posts
This forum--and in particular, the Gen 4 section--is filled with comments extolling the upgrades in the 2013 so I won't rehash those except to agree. The 2013 has several improvements that you will notice almost immediately, even if you only drive a few miles to compare each.

·
Registered
'13 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT
380 Posts
I've driven both. Tested both a '12 and a '13 2.5i Premium CVT with all weather package...cars were identical except for color. I bought the '13.

There were a few reasons that I took the '13:

- The '12 I drove had the steering wheel shake.
- The '13 felt more buttoned down, the steering felt noticeably more solid and direct, with less body roll and a firmer feel to the suspension. Ride quality is good with either one...just a little firmer in the '13
- The CVT in the '13 felt a little more responsive...I like the programming on the '13 a little better.
- I like the gauges on the '13 better.
- I like the larger foglights on the '13.
- Increase in EPA ratings for the '13, although I don't know that it results in more real-world MPG.
- '13 was only $200 more than the '12. I gladly paid $200 for a car I like better.

In isolation, each change is just an incremental change...small improvements and tweaks. In total, they add up to a more enjoyable car for me. Others may reach different conclusions, especially if they can get a substantial price cut on a '12 that they can't get on a '13. If the difference had been $1000, it would have been a tough choice.

·
Registered
'13 2.5Ltd w/EyeSight ::::: '02 2.5Ltd AT
95 Posts
soldierguy pretty well sums up my preferences for the '13 with one exception: rear vents

My 8-yr-old wanted only one feature in a new car--rear vents. She was so disappointed when we test drove the '12. Then, lo, I learn that the '13 introduced rear vents and EyeSight. We put a deposit on ours a few days later without even driving the '13. When it arrived, a few minutes at the wheel confirmed what we hoped.

·
Registered
'13 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT
380 Posts
And I do have to comment on one more thing. The firmer, more buttoned-down feel of the '13 may have had something to do with the steering wheel shake of the '12 that I drove. Perhaps if things had been perfect on the '12's front end, there may not have been such a noticeable difference in the feel between the '12 and '13. But all I have to go off of is the test drive of a '12 with the shakes, and my '13 with 900+ miles and growing.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
214 Posts
I owned the 2012 (2.5i Premium) up until June 9th and have a 2013 (2.5i Limited)---the salesperson you were working with is uneducated in his own business. To say there is no difference and have a sales person laugh at you---I'd find another sales person.

One of features I liked on the 2013 2.5i Limited was having an AC vent in the back seats-my kid complained he got hot a lot---not any more. The 2012 model didnt have an AC vent in the back.

Here is a link to tell you everything new for the 2013 Outback series. Great link!!

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2013.html#optpkgs

new for all 2013 Outbacks
> new larger fog lights
> newredesigned front grill
> new redesigned front bumper
> new upgraded seat material with improved cushion and bolsters
> new 2.5L engine: improved economy +1MPG, more power. see specs above
> new CVT- 2nd generation CVT is lighter, quieter, more responsive--WAY BETTER THAN 2012!!
> new upgraded suspension with larger rear sway bar and stiffer springs for improved handling and ride.
> new stiffer chassis- front strut mounts and rear frame rails- to reduce vibration, body roll, and improve handling,
> new roof rack- its the same pivoting crossbars, but now with a second position with 9.8" additional spread
> new brake override system- when gas and brake pedals are both pressed, the brake overrides to stop the car
> newfuel pump cutoff that detects when an airbag deploys to minimize fire danger after an accident

New on 2013 2.5i Outback
> > new steering wheel- now with bluetooth cell controls, plus audio and cruise control buttons
> > new audio includes handsfree cell phone bluetooth with steering wheel controls, wireless audio streaming, and a USB and auxiliary connection

Roof rails, pivoting fold-away cross bars, new for 2013 crossbars now have an 2 positions: 30" or 39.8" spread, 150 lb capacity.

Stereo: new for 2013 includes handsfree cell phone bluetooth with steering wheel controls, wireless audio streaming, and a USB connection.
AM/FM, single CD. Plays MP3/WMA, R/RW, auxiliary input. 4 speakers, pty/cat (program type/category radio station search function), bluetooth, audio controls and cruise controls in the steering wheel. Antenna is the rear glass.

2.5i LIMITED adds over the 2.5i Premium

model code: DDF - CVT (no manual trans available on this model)
everything the 2.5i Premium has, plus..

new for 2013- rear seat A/C vent in the center console
new for 2013- matte dash wood trim (replaces glossy wood trim)
new for 2013- electro-luminescent instrument panel with 3.5" color LCD display

new for 2013 electroluminescent instrument panel gauges with red speedometer needle and white tachometer needles against black background. With center color LCD display including ECO gauge, cruise control, Eyesight info (if equipped), odometers. Gauges include speedometer, tachometer, fuel gauge, and new for 2013 coolant temperature gauge.

Stereo: Harman/Kardon audio (h/k). 4.3" LCD color display, 440w 8 channel amplifier, 9 speakers, AM/FM, HD radio, single CD, USB, 3.5mm aux input, hands free bluetooth steering wheel controls, wireless audio streaming, XM satellite radio with 4 mos free. The speakers include: 2 80mm mid-range in the top of the dashboard, 2 160mm woofers in the front doors, 2 2-way speakers in the rear doors with a 25mm tweeter and 100mm mid-range, 1 200mm subwoofer in the rear cargo area.
Option Packages factory installed only
> Pkg #04 Moonroof, Back up camera
> Pkg #08 Moonroof, Back up camera, and 7" Navigation/GPS
> Pkg #20 Moonroof, 7" Navigation system, and new for 2013 Eyesight System
> Pkg #23new for 2013. Special Appearance Package

Note: packages #20 and #23 cannot be combined, so the Eyesight and Special Appearance packages are not available together. You can't get both.

·
Registered
11' Outback 2.5i CVT Limited
215 Posts
print out the above, stick it into this idiot's face and walk away. Those ignorant MF no nothing about cars they are selling. I had to go thorugh the same BS when I was buying mine. They work for dodge today, subaru tomorrow and even those that have been working there for a while are usually clueless. They know what they can read within 3 min in Subaru marketing fliers. Walk away and go to another dealer, that's the only way for them to learn their lesson. If you inquire about the price through autotrader etc. everyone will give you no BS, best price that will be within $100 of the other dealership anyway.

·
Registered
2016 Tungsten Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight. My 6th Subaru.
332 Posts
Lots of good information there. Thanks for all that work.

The ground clearance has increased, while the total height has decreased. How'd they do that?

The 2013 is is longer than the 2012.

The second row floor is a different shape as noted in the floor liner thread.

The NAV system has changed and is much improved.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That was a terrific summary.
I am talking to another dealer who seems reasonable.
I am looking at the 2.5 limited version as I know by nature I will start feeling guilty the moment I drive anything lesser out of the dealership. The difference is less than $1800. So I might take it.
But, since the work week has started, if anyone has a good link or pictures to/of the following, it would be great.
1. The matte dash wood trim.
2. New instrument panel.

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I think the change in the floor is a small change in the passenger cabin ie safety cage structure to address the pole collision rating which subaru was dinged for in the pre 2012 model. They probably added a strengthening steel member to the outer rails running under the door sills to improve side impact performance.

For sure they have done improvements to the suspension we all know that the front and rear sway bars are beefier 19mm vs the lighter spec bars on the 12's and older OB. As few other suspension guys have noted subaru no doubt changed the bushings and probably added stiffeners to the shock towers to further improve the handling. The 2013 shocks are no doubt probably tuned differently also so for sure the 13's should have a decent improvement in handling over the older 12's through 2010's.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you, for the link!
Is the electroluminescent instrument panel part of some package, or standard with the 2.5i Limited?

I have a feeling that Subaru is not doing much with the wood trims. That is, it is still very scarcely used. Am I the only one feeling that way?

And how many here like black over silver? I for one like more black inside!! :)

I wish I could choose black over silver for the interior...

Thanks.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
214 Posts
My 2012 was Graphite Gray Metallic---great color, tough to keep clean. The interior was gray but it was more closer to black in my opinion.

I do like black, silver and white---have owned all those colors in cars so I mixed it up with the brilliant brown pearl, which I think is VERY sharp--have to see it in person.

My 2nd choice would have been the 2013 2.5i Limited in white with the Special Appearence package, followed by black with the Special Appearance Package--all saddle brown leather interior.

I have a black Porsche C4 993---love the color and when its clean, it looks great. Tough to keep clean but still looks great. Its amazing how well white hides dirt!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My 2012 was Graphite Gray Metallic---great color, tough to keep clean. The interior was gray but it was more closer to black in my opinion.

I do like black, silver and white---have owned all those colors in cars so I mixed it up with the brilliant brown pearl, which I think is VERY sharp--have to see it in person.

My 2nd choice would have been the 2013 2.5i Limited in white with the Special Appearence package, followed by black with the Special Appearance Package--all saddle brown leather interior.

I have a black Porsche C4 993---love the color and when its clean, it looks great. Tough to keep clean but still looks great. Its amazing how well white hides dirt!
I was mentioning more about the colors used in the interior. I was mentioning that I would have preferred black over the brushed aluminium finish, and I wish I had an option to choose..

The brushed aluminium and the color used for the wood trim (not the one in the special appearance package, but the regular 2.5i Limited) does not seem to go well.... And they should have used wooden trim for the space around the gear box.... That is just my opinion.. :)

Also, I would have preferred a slightly bigger dial for the volume knob and the tuning knob!!!

Thanks...

·
Registered
17 Posts
soldierguy pretty well sums up my preferences for the '13 with one exception: rear vents

My 8-yr-old wanted only one feature in a new car--rear vents. She was so disappointed when we test drove the '12. Then, lo, I learn that the '13 introduced rear vents and EyeSight. We put a deposit on ours a few days later without even driving the '13. When it arrived, a few minutes at the wheel confirmed what we hoped.
Apparently, we have the same eight year old. It's interesting that such a seemingly minor issue can be a dealbreaker. We're in the process of replacing a beloved 2004 Saab wagon and have driven almost every conceivable alternative. The rear a/c vents are a must have for my eight year old daughter and seven year old goldendoodle.

I'd actually prefer a separate a/c for the rear seat but about the only vehicles with that option are the 7 person suv's and my wife wants to avoid being the mother with a car that can take all the neighborhood kids in her car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wasn't aware of any change in the ground clearance, height, or length. Where did you get this information? It wasn't in the information I saw from Subaru.

There were changes in this area in the 2010 model, but far as I can tell, these haven't changed.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I wasn't aware of any change in the ground clearance, height, or length. Where did you get this information? It wasn't in the information I saw from Subaru.

There were changes in this area in the 2010 model, but far as I can tell, these haven't changed.
I dont believe ground height, clearance, or length changed from 2012 to 2013. I have not read anything of that nature that supports that as well.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts