Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to change my rear differential fluid before the snow starts flying! Can anyone tell me what size socket I should be using for the rear differential drain plugs?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Don't forget to loosen the fill plug before you open the drain plug.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK after some experimenting I found that you need a 10mm hex bit to remove both the fill and drain plugs on the rear differential. I picked one up at Sears and it worked fine.

The plugs weren't on too tight; I used a 3/8 in breaker bar to crack them loose. It was a piece of cake after that. I used a quart bottle hand pump to put the new fluid in.

The OE fluid had about 24,800 miles on it. It looked a little greyish coming out so I'm glad I changed it.

The new fill is Amsoil Severe Gear 75W90. Going forward I plan on changing it about every 30K.

I'm ready for winter...sort of.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
766 Posts
OK after some experimenting I found that you need a 10mm hex bit to remove both the fill and drain plugs on the rear differential. I picked one up at Sears and it worked fine.

The plugs weren't on too tight; I used a 3/8 in breaker bar to crack them loose. It was a piece of cake after that. I used a quart bottle hand pump to put the new fluid in.

The OE fluid had about 24,800 miles on it. It looked a little greyish coming out so I'm glad I changed it.

The new fill is Amsoil Severe Gear 75W90. Going forward I plan on changing it about every 30K.

Thanx for the post. I am at 35K and want to do the same. How much fluid did you use in the rear?

Is the subie OEM fill the same weight?

Did you do the tranny fluid flush and fill too?

Anybody got a DIY with pics for the tranny and diff?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx for the post. I am at 35K and want to do the same. How much fluid did you use in the rear?

Is the subie OEM fill the same weight?

Did you do the tranny fluid flush and fill too?

Anybody got a DIY with pics for the tranny and diff?
I used slightly less than a quart in the rear differential. As I said I used a hand pump on the quart bottle. Just keep pumping until fluid starts to trickle out the fill plug hole.

Subaru specifies GL5 75W90 I believe.

I did a drain and fill on the tranny. I'm going to do that every 20K. I did not replace the filter.

Believe me, if I can do this anyone can. As others have said it's no more difficult than changing your oil. Get the right tools and take your time.

Good luck!;)

·
Registered
766 Posts
^ Thanx Chaser. About how much Tranny juice did you use on the drain and fill? Did you use the subie ATF? Probably do both next weekend. Gotta make sure I have a 10mm hex. Did you do the front and if so can you verify that a t-70 torx bit is needed? Same weight fluid on the frond diff?.

I haven't looked at a DIY guide for the Tranny. A dealer told me it had a filter for the 3.6 under the pan and a Indi Subie mechanic said no. Does the filter require the pan to be pulled + new gasket? I've done it a couple times on an F150. I guess I better look up a chilton's, haven't found the info here. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
No external filter to change on your 2011. Just a drain a fill of fluid will be fine. Subary HP ATF is what you need.

·
Registered
766 Posts
No external filter to change on your 2011. Just a drain a fill of fluid will be fine. Subary HP ATF is what you need.
Just the drain and fill with the HP is how many quarts to replace?

·
Registered
546 Posts

No reason to spend the money on Amsoil if you are going to change it every 30k. Just leave it in there. It will be good for long after you sell the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^ Thanx Chaser. About how much Tranny juice did you use on the drain and fill? Did you use the subie ATF? Probably do both next weekend. Gotta make sure I have a 10mm hex. Did you do the front and if so can you verify that a t-70 torx bit is needed? Same weight fluid on the frond diff?.

I haven't looked at a DIY guide for the Tranny. A dealer told me it had a filter for the 3.6 under the pan and a Indi Subie mechanic said no. Does the filter require the pan to be pulled + new gasket? I've done it a couple times on an F150. I guess I better look up a chilton's, haven't found the info here. Thanks again.
I used 4 qts of transmission fluid for the drain and fill. The drain plug is 14MM and I used a new washer when reinstalling (Part #11126AA050)

For the front diff a T 70 torx bit is necessary. I used a new washer when reinstalling (Part # 803926090) GL 5, 75W90 is specified.

It's really straighforward.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Fluid

Thanks Chaser,

Got the AT plug crush and the Front Diff washers along with the Subie spec ATF and the Gl-5 75w-90 gear oil for the front and rears. Noticed that the front requires 1.5 quarts, wereas the rear is .8. The front diff fluid looks perfect on the stick, but I am changing all of them.

Unfortunately my ATF is too high. I am a bit worried this am.
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/49182-atf-dipsteck-level-too-high.html#post470039

I probably won't refill with 4 quarts do to this...um...royal bummer. Unless, I get better advice I will start with two quarts and add until the fluid at the proper level hot.

Wonder if I will need to bust out a breaker for the f (Torx T-70) and r diff (10mm hex) plugs?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
AltaBrig
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing