Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Outback 2.5i Premium
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the bar, and am having a local auto shop install it (my right wrist is a mess with metal plates and screws, so it's not possible for me to do it). Is there anything I need to watch/look for when they do the work. The mechanic I spoke to, kept bringing up new links (which I didn't think was needed, based on the thread here in the forums).

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
904 Posts
The new bar will put more stress on the links, but as your car is not that old. I would say you'll be fine. Replace then if you have trouble later on (you will feel the change in handling if something happens).

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,992 Posts
Hopefully they're not charging you more than an hour's time as it will only take 5 minutes using a lift (~10 minutes if changing it on the ground).

Have not read of anyone having any problem with the stock endlinks and the thicker bar on this forum.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You might print out a copy of the pdf I posted in the following post and give it to the mechanic:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/47341-4th-gen-rear-sway-bar-upgrade-video.html

It has the instructions and torque values to use. Just note that there is a conversion mistake for setting this distance of the rubber bushing to the stop. The correct distance is 6mm or about 1/4 inch. Also, no good reason to remove the wheels as the instructions suggest.

You should watch to make sure the four bushing bolts and two link nuts are tightened and torqued with full weight of car on the ground.

I agree with the other comments. Stock endlinks are fine to reuse.

·
Registered
'14, 2.5 SAP w/Eyesight
118 Posts
Hopefully they're not charging you more than an hour's time as it will only take 5 minutes using a lift (~10 minutes if changing it on the ground).

Have not read of anyone having any problem with the stock endlinks and the thicker bar on this forum.
Ditto, with a lift it should be quick, especially with the right tools. I'd check to make sure they're using a torque wrench. Lots of moving parts in that area, and the proper torque setting is important.

See This post for proper torque settings. Print it out and give it to your mechanic. Other than that, check to make sure that the Sway bar is on right side up, there is a difference... http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/24867-sway-bar-mod-picture-tutorial-2.html#post239155

I also wondered about the endlinks, but there is no mention of changing them out unless folks are talking about whiteline products that go over 19mm. I've done a recent install (3 days ago) so I'll be checking the sway situation often, but don't anticipate any issues with the OEM links.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
125 Posts
Make sure it's not installed backwards. Easy to figure out, just look at the original one before removing. I read on here that someone did put it on backwards, and it was noticed in one of his pics, and he was notified of this.

Oops, I now see this was already mentioned, sorry.

·
Premium Member
2012 Outback 2.5i Premium
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input all. It's greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
35 Posts
I have the bar, and am having a local auto shop install it (my right wrist is a mess with metal plates and screws, so it's not possible for me to do it). Is there anything I need to watch/look for when they do the work. The mechanic I spoke to, kept bringing up new links (which I didn't think was needed, based on the thread here in the forums).
Which swaybar are you installing? Stock, aftermarket??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts