Subaru Outback Forums banner

2012 Subaru Outback Deer Strike

7K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  SeattlePaddler 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a 2012 Outback that we purchased last September. I love this car. However, last night a huge Buck decided to run in front of me in the City! Crazy. It smashed in the front and radiator, grill, hood and fenders. Car was overheating. Not sure damages yet... Awaiting insurance to check out damages...I wonder what will all need repaired...
This sucks!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I am in Ohio. No air bags did not deploy. No passengers. It was a huge Buck... Very tall. Thinking it was galloping when the strike happened. It flipped up over my car... Not sure where it went from there. Probably ran away.
I just hate he fact that my car will never be the same. Not sure what damages are under the hood. Looks bad though!

#6 ·
Glad no one was hurt. Was driving home last night and the car in front of me nailed a deer, sent said deer flying over the car but it did not get up and run away. like to report my brakes worked extra well last night! Crazy stuff that wildlife. I wish I took pictures of the car in front of me. I think it was a Chevy Cruze and looked similar to your front damage- oh and air bag was deployed.

#7 ·
Glad you are OK. But, since it is such a new vehicle, insist on OEM parts with your insurance company. They may not like it but you can insist. BTW, any car can be repaired correctly; you just have to make sure that the place you take it DOES repair it correctly. Ask around for a recommendation - maybe your local mechanic or auto parts (non chain) can help.

Good luck.

#8 ·
Doesn't look bad just lots of soft target items broken. For sure insist on all 100% subaru parts and don't be afraid of calling BS on your insurance company. They all try to do things for as cheap as possible unless the customer calls them out on it.

When you trash a cooling system its never a good idea to keep running the car beyond getting clear of the road or you might end up cooking expensive engine parts too.

#9 ·
For sure insist on all 100% subaru parts and don't be afraid of calling BS on your insurance company.
It certainly wouldn't hurt to try and get OEM parts, but insist on it only if your insurance company does not have an additional purchasable option for "OEM part replacement" that you opted out of. Quite a few insurance companies have this for purchase these days and if you opted out of it, it is on you unfortunately if you want OEM parts.

#12 ·
Deer Whistle.

Sorry to hear about your run in with the buck. I'm in WV and the deer are everywhere. A couple years back I bought some Screaming Hawk deer whistles off ebay, Big River Specialty Company I believe. Just search on Screaming Hawk. Anyways, these things really work. Small animals freeze by the roadside thinking a hawk is coming and deer shy away from the approaching sound. These things are endorsed by the Iowa State Patrol. So they must work. I have them on both my Subarus and I made my grown children put them on too. They are like ten bucks shipped, so they are a good investment in my book. Good luck with the car.:(

#16 ·
Sorry about the car, maybe you will find a little humor in this video

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CI8UPHMzZm8" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

#17 ·
Thanks for the input! The appraisal was completed yesterday. They said it should be about $4800, which included: Bumper, Fender, Drivers door, grill, Radiator, support, AC condenser, and hood... However, they could not get the hood off to actually look under it to see what else was damaged....
Weird, why even get estimate if you can not see under the hood! Kinda useless to me... The estimator said once body shop gets up on the lift and takes off hood... Then they will see more and know a more accurate estimate.
I called a few minutes ago to check status on that updated estimate and guy is at lunch. I will insist on OEM parts when I return call. I told the insurance adjustor that, but you never know what he actually told body shop.
We shall see...

#18 ·
Yep sounds pretty standard when it comes to a deer vs car. If the hood was jammed the appraiser won't mess with it thats up to the shop with the right tools and skills.

For sure call the shop or swing by and BS with them make sure OEM parts are being used.
Everyone brags about how cheap their car insurance deal is till it comes time for the insurance to step up to the plate. Cheap insurance is not always a good deal ;-)

#19 ·
Yep, You are right! You get what you pay for...
The estimate is now listed online with my insurance company as $6175. It shows claim closed. I guess they pay x amount of money and then once they open hood and reassess; then they submit another estimate?

#22 ·
Last year on in September I hit a deer with my 2010 Outback on a narrow road. The deer stepped in front of the car and I had no time to react. This deer did a complete flip and luckily did not come thru the windshield. My repairs were about $5,000 and I insisted on OEM parts. I guess it was just a matter of time in that I have close calls with deer three or four times per year. The car is still running good (had to adjust the "stops" on the hood a little to get it to sit tight) and I have put another 15,000 miles or so on it since then. Subaru on!

#23 ·
Subado2: There are so many deer out... crazy. Luckily you were ok too! I hope my Subi runs just as good as before. I mean its a 2012.. Wanna have this car for LONG time :) Subarus Rock. They are very safe. Proven.
Thanks all the replies:
I will update once car fixed with new pics.

#24 ·
How fast were you going? Sorry to hear about your loss. Mostly coyotes around here, enough to make me use high beams at night whenever possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.