Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am buying my first car and my budget is around 11 grand for a bigger car. If I buy a sedan I don't want to go above 9 grand. However, I am considering a 2012 Subaru Outback for $11k. The only issue is that it has 90k miles on it. The car fax looks clean and it seems to have been taken care of, but is 90k too high of a mileage for an outback at that price point? Is it a good deal? I just want to make sure that the car won't have problems down the line because I like Subaru outbacks but I need a car that will last for some time.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,701 Posts
The 2012 has the EJ engine and CVT, so you have an extended warranty on the 12 until 100k miles. However, you'd be due for a timing belt job at 105k, which is anywhere from 500-1000 depending on oem/aftermarket. Unless the model you are looking at is the 3.6R, which has a timing chain and also has the 5EAT, not a CVT.

My suggestion would be if you don't need the space, get an Impreza or Legacy that's coming off a lease. If you need the cargo room, try for a Foz or OB off a lease, certified pre-owned. They have additional warranties.

All Subarus except the STI have a Timing Chain since the introduction of the 2013 FB series engine.

·
Registered
06 3.0R JDM facelift SI Drive-shift paddles. 87 Brumby EA81 (Brat) 4MT D/R
613 Posts
Wow cheap, in NZ it would be $18 - $20 K

Sent from my SM-J111M using Tapatalk

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,192 Posts
CVT in the H4 engine has a extended warranty to 100,000 miles. (2010-15, plus the H6 of 2016)..

H4 engine has a extended warranty for 100,000 miles for the 2013-15 years.
(this the new FB25B, with the timing chain, vs. the good old EJ253)....Foresters go these FB25B as early as 2011.

Impreza 2012-15 also has a smaller FB20 engine with a CVT in the same extended warranty.

________

some of the above out there may have both a new engine and a new CVT in them. ...such would be really nice. (but finding one like that would be a needle in a hay stack. and maybe something that only the brother of a dealership mechanic would "find" as soon as someone traded it for a 2018.

_____

the ones to fight over: h6 engines from 2010-14. with the last of the regular 5EAT trans.

or maybe a Forester of 2009-10. (EJ253 engine, and a 4EAT trans. ...may need head gaskets from a oil leak ...but those are fixable).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CVT in the H4 engine has a extended warranty to 100,000 miles. (2010-15, plus the H6 of 2016)..

H4 engine has a extended warranty for 100,000 miles for the 2013-15 years.
(this the new FB25B, with the timing chain, vs. the good old EJ253)....Foresters go these FB25B as early as 2011.

Impreza 2012-15 also has a smaller FB20 engine with a CVT in the same extended warranty.

________

some of the above out there may have both a new engine and a new CVT in them. ...such would be really nice. (but finding one like that would be a needle in a hay stack. and maybe something that only the brother of a dealership mechanic would "find" as soon as someone traded it for a 2018.

_____

the ones to fight over: h6 engines from 2010-14. with the last of the regular 5EAT trans.

or maybe a Forester of 2009-10. (EJ253 engine, and a 4EAT trans. ...may need head gaskets from a oil leak ...but those are fixable).
so you're saying don't buy this 2012 outback?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,192 Posts
so you're saying don't buy this 2012 outback?
I would not buy one approaching the limit of the warranty....so I would not buy this one or one like it.

subaru gave these extended warrantys to just 100,000 miles. ...they are not recalls which would make them swap out CVTs. and the later engines for a long time past 100,000 miles.

I have yet to read what anyone expects of these cars after they reach 100,000 miles. and what anyone will want to do with them. (so you could get to 100,001 miles, loose the trans, and then be out looking for a used trans with the same problems, .

..or a new trans for it to the tune of $3500 if the one that is in it is not fixable.

not what I would want in a 2012 with 90,000 miles on it....at least today. maybe there is a brighter future, but I have not read of it.

_______

I would find a 3.6 from 2010-14. 5 speed automatic is great. (so like one of the greatest subarus ever).

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Several 10-14’s have gone into the 150,000+ range with little to no issues. I would take a 10-14 over a 15 anyday. The 15’s had lots of teething issues with the new engine. The 17’s seem fine I havent seen any drama regarding heavy oil consumption since early to mid 2016’s.

Both of the 2010’s I bought have had zero issues. Both are approaching 100k. I think we’ll run ours for another 2 yrs or more then move up to the Ascent.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,192 Posts
Several 10-14’s have gone into the 150,000+ range with little to no issues. I would take a 10-14 over a 15 anyday. The 15’s had lots of teething issues with the new engine. The 17’s seem fine I havent seen any drama regarding heavy oil consumption since early to mid 2016’s.

Both of the 2010’s I bought have had zero issues. Both are approaching 100k. I think we’ll run ours for another 2 yrs or more then move up to the Ascent.
do you still have that electric car in the mix?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
do you still have that electric car in the mix?
Yup wife’s commuter. 2016 Plugin hybrid Ford Fusion. Great car so far. January 2019 the HOV lane sticker is set to expire if they don’t extend it that is. The full EVs have the same end date on the HOV lane sticker. If they extend the plugin hybrid we’ll keep it. If they kill the plugin hybrid HOV lane sticker then we’ll sell and get a Tesla assuming the EV stickers will get extended. If both plugin and EVs loose the HOV stickers. We’ll be moving which means no new cars for a very very long time!!!!!! The housing cost will double. Let’s just say paying nearly $50,000 a yr in property taxes between my rentals and a new house closer to work sucks eggs big time. The likely hood of us leaving CA or the Bay Area increases daily. LOL We’ll see how it goes in the next 2yrs.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,192 Posts
Yup wife’s commuter. 2016 Plugin hybrid Ford Fusion. Great car so far. January 2019 the HOV lane sticker is set to expire if they don’t extend it that is. The full EVs have the same end date on the HOV lane sticker. If they extend the plugin hybrid we’ll keep it. If they kill the plugin hybrid HOV lane sticker then we’ll sell and get a Tesla assuming the EV stickers will get extended. If both plugin and EVs loose the HOV stickers. We’ll be moving which means no new cars for a very very long time!!!!!! We’ll be going from a 1.4mill house to most likely something in the range of 2.3 -2.8mill. Which sucks! But the commute is a no go if the HOV stickers expire. So next 2 yrs could have some big changes for us. We’ll see.
...everyone needs a helicopter. ...Tesla will someday make mini, and full sized vans.

such will be great as you can still use the HOV lane,

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
...everyone needs a helicopter. ...Tesla will someday make mini, and full sized vans.

such will be great as you can still use the HOV lane,

hIMG][/quote]

The company got a Chrysler minivan fitted with WiFi. Wife shares it with 5 other co workers. They take turns driving, but she can typically only do the van 1-2 times a week rarely 3-4. Given her meetings with investors run outside the van hours. But it helps!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would not buy one approaching the limit of the warranty....so I would not buy this one or one like it.

subaru gave these extended warrantys to just 100,000 miles. ...they are not recalls which would make them swap out CVTs. and the later engines for a long time past 100,000 miles.

I have yet to read what anyone expects of these cars after they reach 100,000 miles. and what anyone will want to do with them. (so you could get to 100,001 miles, loose the trans, and then be out looking for a used trans with the same problems, .

..or a new trans for it to the tune of $3500 if the one that is in it is not fixable.

not what I would want in a 2012 with 90,000 miles on it....at least today. maybe there is a brighter future, but I have not read of it.

_______

I would find a 3.6 from 2010-14. 5 speed automatic is great. (so like one of the greatest subarus ever).
I thought the 3.6 has a cvt too. Plus they tend to be much higher priced.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,192 Posts
I thought the 3.6 has a cvt too. Plus they tend to be much higher priced.
2015-present has a high torqe CVT, 2015 is the only year of those included in the problem series = extended warranty.

________

2010-14 had a great traditional 5 speed automatic,....

when looking at used listings for them in a 500 mile radius I see a very wide selection of prices.
(don't know if that is car dealer shenanigans).

but you get what you pay for. pay for the H6, or save your money for a new CVT or buy a over priced 3rd party warranty for it,..

(warranty companies I would hope would have a listing of engines/ transmissions that are problematic that are past their extended warranty...and charge accordingly...I mean insuring them on the cheap and in quantity could put their lights out, if those engines or transmissions should all die at the same time).

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Outback, 2.5i Premium, Satin White Pearl, mostly stock.
4 Posts

_______

Wait....so Subaru gave the 2012 Outback an extended warranty at no cost? When did this happen? I paid $1000 extra for my extended warranty from the dealership I bought my car from...

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,192 Posts
Wait....so Subaru gave the 2012 Outback an extended warranty at no cost? When did this happen? I paid $1000 extra for my extended warranty from the dealership I bought my car from...
extended warranty to 100,000 miles only on the problematic CVT. (not on the last of the great EJ253 engines in the 2010-12 legacy / outback)

here is the big thread on the 2010-15 CVT issue:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/429481-cvt-warranty-extension-2010-15-a.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi. I am buying my first car and my budget is around 11 grand for a bigger car. If I buy a sedan I don't want to go above 9 grand. However, I am considering a 2012 Subaru Outback for $11k. The only issue is that it has 90k miles on it. The car fax looks clean and it seems to have been taken care of, but is 90k too high of a mileage for an outback at that price point? Is it a good deal? I just want to make sure that the car won't have problems down the line because I like Subaru outbacks but I need a car that will last for some time.
ALL systems have issues. Mechanical, Electrical, or Pneumatic will ALL break at some point. Don't Worry about the warranty only having 10% left on it. IF you need someone to walk behind you with TP to wipe up after you, then maybe you should look into leasing a brand new car; Otherwise, if you can withstand an Oil leak, top off your own diff, and actually Plan ahead for Mechanical/Electrical failures, you won't have a problem with a 90K mile Subie...

Look for the 3.6R 2010-2014 OB. great car, nice set up, and pretty much the best combination they have put together yet! (a 6Spd manual now... Hmmm...)

·
Registered
21 Posts
What about stick shift Gen 4 cars?
No CVT issue, right?
Are they all H4 engines?

Any big red flags, compared to Gen2 and Gen3?
or just standard used car maintenance ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts