Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine starting knocking like crazy 2 weeks ago. Thought it was octane. Put in premium but the rattling got worse. Sounds like someone banging on a metal plate in the engine. Took it in and they said the timing belt and cover have to be replaced and Subaru just put out a bulletin on it. Only 6k miles on my new outback. Anyone else out there heard of this on the 2012 2.5 CVTs?:gasp:

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Engine starting knocking like crazy 2 weeks ago. Thought it was octane. Put in premium but the rattling got worse. Sounds like someone banging on a metal plate in the engine. Took it in and they said the timing belt and cover have to be replaced and Subaru just put out a bulletin on it. Only 6k miles on my new outback. Anyone else out there heard of this on the 2012 2.5 CVTs?:gasp:
Probably something to do with a batch of parts guessing maybe a pulley was coming appart and hitting the cover. CVT or not all the 2.5's prior to 2013 model have the same timing belt gear. My 2010 OB and legacy are both fine no issues at 37,000 and 40,000.

I wouldn't worry about it being some sort of major thing more like very random thing

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Touring CVT
24 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Will keep an 'ear' out for it (should t happen).

I'm so glad I went with the 6-year extended warranty. I didn't trust the new engine/transmission right out of the gate without some peace of mind.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
2012 Legacy - so that's the new FB engine, timing chain?

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
Any chance you have the TSB number?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts