Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my wife and I were going to get a new Subaru Outback they sold the 2013 limited we were interested in. Now they are offering a 2012 limited for a $1000.00 less. He told me the only difference was the timing chain instead of a belt on the 13's. Now I have been researching and see the suspension has been upgraded and the CVT transmission is next generation.Woundering if I should take the deal or hold out for a 2o13. Thanks appreciate any input.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would hold out. You should be able to get a 12 for $2-3000 less than a 13. But regardless, I think the improvements in the 13 are worth the extra money. The 12 will have a softer ride. The 13 a little bit stiffer, but better handling and slightly more pick up with the newer engine and transmission. The going price for the 13s seems to be invoice to 3% below invoice, depending on your area.

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
Moved to correct forum.

I'd take the 13.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hold out for the '13. There are enough differences that it is worth it. Not only is there a timing chain instead of a timing belt (belt needs to be replaced at 105,000 miles, chain has no scheduled replacement), but it's an entirely new engine on the 2013. It gets better mileage than the '12, and has an updated transmission as well. A guy I knew who drove one said the '13 has much more low end acceleration than the '12 models. The mileage difference alone would be enough for me to wait for the '13.

·
Registered
41 Posts
After just reading elsewhere that the timing belt replacement is a $1,000-1,500 job, I'd go with the '13 as a no brainer, assuming you plan on keeping the car that long.

A timing chain (the PROPER way to design an engine) will in all likelyhood last the life of the vehicle.

Considering all the updates to the '13 that were mentioned so far, 1k less for the '12 IS a great deal....for the DEALERSHIP!

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
A timing chain (the PROPER way to design an engine) will
in all likelyhood last the life of the vehicle.
I wouldn't consider either belt or chain a deal-breaker, but
the idea that chains are bullet-proof is an urban legend.
Belts are lighter, quieter, and deliver more accurate and
consistent valve timing over the life of the car. Chains are
more compact (narrower) and -- if well implemented --
should be long-lived and maintenance free.

I've been driving OHC cars since 1970 -- about a dozen in all,
all purchased new, and driven well over a million miles total.
I've followed the manufacturers' recommended maintenance,
and never had a timing belt failure -- but TWO timing chain
failures. Jumped a sprocket tooth, both at under 100k miles.

Of course, you're correct about lasting the life of the vehicle...

...after the chain failures, they weren't worth repairing,

Looby

·
Registered
5 Posts
Some other differences in the 2013 Limited trim are the addition of rear air conditioning vents, an analog coolant temperature gauge in place of the eco-meter (now electronic display), upgraded "electroluminescent" dash display, faux wood with a matte finish rather than glossy, and wider crossbar arrangement possible on the roof rack.

The stiffer suspension is one of the biggest changes, but the above differences also convinced me to go for the 2013. If you are interested in navigation, eyesight, special appearance packages, there are also differences there, but I don't have them so can't elaborate.

I also didn't want a car that had been sitting on the lot for months or test driven by a dozen people, though that might have no importance in reality.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
9 Participants
Willy999
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing