Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we waited 8 weeks for our 2013 3.6 outback, and it was taken back to the dealer on a flat bed.

Was turning a corner this morning, heard a nice clunk, all lights on dash of couse go on. Then the car would not shift out of 1st gear.

Waiting to talk to the Manager of the dealer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So, we waited 8 weeks for our 2013 3.6 outback, and it was taken back to the dealer on a flat bed.

Was turning a corner this morning, heard a nice clunk, all lights on dash of couse go on. Then the car would not shift out of 1st gear.

WOw... Sorry to hear that. Please keep us updated.:gasp:

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
It’s essentially a case that delivers hyd fluid to actuate the tranny, I would say it’s a major component.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would you have the dealer fix it, or is this grounds enough to request another car?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Would you have the dealer fix it, or is this grounds enough to request another car?
Given the freak, rare nature of this occurrence, I really think you have grounds to get another car. HOWEVER, you may also be in a good position here to have somethings work out in your favor if you decide to let the dealer fix it. If you go this route I would settle for nothing less than a free extended warranty to 100k miles for sure. Also have them toss in a few free oil changes, and a free loaner since this might take a while to fix. It might be pushing it, but you could also ask for a nice discount on some accessories. I would think it would b ein the dealer's best interest to do what it takes (within reason) to make you happy and keep you as a customer.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Unfortunately it’s not a dept store commodity, it’s a contract and you’ll (basically) have to deal with lemon law to get a swap.<O:p</O:p
All things equal (key phrase) a VB is no big deal, as alluded see how they’re going to warranty it.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1st, I have to give SOA points here, I only called them 2 hours ago, and I have been contacted twice already. SOA is going to comp me a 7 year/100,000 warranty. We did purchase the 6/80,000 with the car, that they are going to refund the money to us. So, it was a PITA to have this issue, but SOA did a great job to make it right.

Thanks all for the help.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
1st, I have to give SOA points here, I only called them 2 hours ago, and I have been contacted twice already. SOA is going to comp me a 7 year/100,000 warranty. We did purchase the 6/80,000 with the car, that they are going to refund the money to us. So, it was a PITA to have this issue, but SOA did a great job to make it right.

Thanks all for the help.
Wow, that's some good service! Hope the repair works out and you'll forget it ever happened.

·
Registered
604 Posts
This is a fairly simple repair, pull the pan and the filter and the valve body is right there. I seriously doubt this will happen again. This must have been a failure of a subcomponent to the valve body itself like a check ball or spring or maybe even the housing.
Teriffic that SOA worked with you in such a manner.
I have a question. When did you find out you were getting your car? I ordered mine 21 July and it is what 18 September and I don't even have a delivery date yet. All I heard from SOA is sometime in September, well September is ending fast. Just curious how many days or weeks in advance you got word of your car delivery...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the order was accepted on 7/30/12, I didn't get any word from anybody. I stopped at the dealer this past weekend, to see where the car was. The manager looked it up, had a delivery date of yesterday.

The car was built on 8/22/12.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Thanks all for the help.
I would be happy with that! :29:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Thanks
I was told September but after calling SOA for the 4th time to get an answer that was concrete I discovered that "Oh you have a 3.6L that is a 10-12 week delivery". I honestly had no words given I was told 6-8 weeks when I ordered.
It is no big deal but very disappointing a car company cannot tell you when to expect your car. I don't order many new ones but in the past I knew within a few days when it was due in.
The only way you get a 3.6L sooner is if the dealership was expecting one anyway. They can tweak the order for you.

So those ordering a 3.6L beware it is 10-12 weeks not 6-8 weeks.
I am sure they will correct the valve body issue and the extended warranty is a huge plus for SOA...

·
Registered
23 Posts

See this:http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/47159-3-days-old-cel-wtf.html

On mine I just disconnected the battery for a few seconds, and have had no further problems.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
...seeing as the car basically just came off the lot and has virtually no mileage on it...I'd go for another car. It great however, that they looked after you so quickly and so well. There is something to be said for that. If the valve body is not a big thing and just a component piece, maybe replacing it is the way to go. Just hope there is no other damage in the tranny due to what happened..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A nice finish:

Just spoke with SOA again, they are going to put us into another car. They have one at the port that matches ours, we should have it in a week.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
All electrical components are suspect for the first 25K regardless and having this fail on the 5spd AT is actually not a big deal your not the only person to have this issue with this part.

If you have it fail again then you have grounds to start talking to subaru about a new car or getting your money back.

Even at over 40K Subaru has been very pro active at getting my sun roof switch issue sorted out. Even back in 2003 Subaru was like this with my first car when I had some odd issues with it. 100% a Major reason I own a Subaru today! I can think of a number of brands that have basically said buzz off when asked to help get a vehicle with some issues sorted out. Subaru for the past 15yrs and over 200,000 miles of driven in their product has yet to not show interest in getting any of my subarus fixed correctly!

Lots of car companies could learn a thing or two from Subaru!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
11 Participants
subiesailor
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing