Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started to do this a month ago. Whenever gas tank is relatively full in my 2013 2.5 Outback, it makes the whole garage smell pretty strongly of fuel. If it is leaking somewhere, it isn't enough to not evaporate almost immediately, as I haven't been able to find any drips.

Is there a common fuel leak location or any particular place I should start looking?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,781 Posts
is the car new to your? do you or another driver regularly 'top-off' the tank manually?

any wrecks or work done recently?

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
1,091 Posts
While I haven't studied the evap system on this particular vehicle any issues with the evap setup is a pretty common source of fumes. And to build on 1 Lucky Texan's point around topping off - topping off is a practice that can kill an evap system (potential to clog the evap canister).

When you open the fuel cap, do you notice any pressure buildup being released? There should be a slight vacuum, any pressure is a sign of trouble.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had the car since new. I do have a bad habit of "topping off". Where is the evaporation canister, and how can I check or change it?

No wrecks/damage/work other than manual recommended 60k items a few months ago. Just started when it got cold, which I wasn't sure was a clue or not.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,781 Posts
there is some kind of weight limit I THINK at which dealerships replace a canister when flooded. as an example, if it 'should weigh 4 lbs, it can weigh up to 6, but is replaced itf it weighs over 6' ---- something like that??? (completely made-up numbers OK?)

maybe an FSM would be a guide here?

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT Caramel Bronze Pearl
33 Posts
Topping off may contribute to the smell. I had a 2007 Impreza that had a similar problem when I would top.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts