Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2013 satin white pearl OB premium, 2.5i cvt, w/ moonroof
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone. i was wondering what you guys did for your first oil change. i know the factory scheduled service are in 7500mi intervals but i keep getting notification from my dealer that i'm due for my 3700 oil change. does everyone here change out their oil earlier than recommended to get rid of whatever oil the factory puts in their new cars and to start using synthetic?

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
Your first change will come a little sooner. I don't know if it's break in oil or not but that's when they suggest the first oil change. I'll be doing simply to get a full synthetic in there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@there4igraham thanks for you input.

the thing is, the dealer gave me 2 years of free factory maintenace, but the intervals are in 7500mi's. taking it in right now for a 3700mi oil change won't be free. i'm not trying to be cheap here, just trying to find out whats the best

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,327 Posts
Go with what is in your owner's manual. Only interval that matters.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I changed mine at 3000 k - there is "months" and "mileage" schedule in your manual. I had to follow "months" schedule because I don't drive that much; so my 3-months came earlier than my "mileage".... your dealer must have followed the "months" in service oil change interval....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
change intervals for 2.5 and 3.6 are 7500 and 3700 (respectively). maybe my dealer just sends out notifications to everyone at 3700 intervals. who knows

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
My schedule shows "... whichever comes first..." miles or months in service ....

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
571 Posts
I went with 7500 miles for the first service. This is what Subaru recommends. Anything under that is just about money hungry dealers. 3000 miles is an old american standard for non synthtic oils. The 2013 Outback takes full synthetic oil which aligns with the 7500 mile interval. Dont buy into the BS from the dealer

·
Registered
557 Posts
@there4igraham thanks for you input.

the thing is, the dealer gave me 2 years of free factory maintenace, but the intervals are in 7500mi's. taking it in right now for a 3700mi oil change won't be free. i'm not trying to be cheap here, just trying to find out whats the best
same here when i bought my '12 last year in feb.

i was given a 2 year / 24k mile maintenance package.

i was told to bring in the outback at approx. 3500 miles... i did and they changed the oil. i was not charged.

i then followed the 7500 mile oil change interval... again, no charges.

joel

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so i called my dealer's service department for a brief explanation and they said, the internvals for the 2.5 cvt are, 3700, 7500, 7500, 7500... all the scheduled maintenance within 2 years are free. yay! case closed

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,227 Posts
I am PRETTY sure my maintenance book says the first one is done on my 2.5 CVT before 7500 - I recall the sales guy saying they just changed it in the book when I bought. Ill have to look when I can tonight but I just bought on Xmas eve.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I went with 7500 miles for the first service. This is what Subaru recommends. Anything under that is just about money hungry dealers. 3000 miles is an old american standard for non synthtic oils. The 2013 Outback takes full synthetic oil which aligns with the 7500 mile interval. Dont buy into the BS from the dealer
Hiker very very first change is 3500 miles. After that all other changes are 7500 miles or less pending conditions.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
when an engine is breaking itself in, the first time you change the oil is important. the oil will have a lot of stuff you dont want circulating through your engine. at 2000 miles i put in a magnetic drain plug and switched to M1 extended performance. at 7500 miles there were some metallic bits i cleaned off my oil plug. since then, almost nothing is stuck on the plug at oil changes. in a turbocharged engine, i would recommend changing the first oil at 1000 miles.

·
Registered
'13 Outback 2.5i CVT Prem. & '07 Tundra 5.7 V8 Ltd.
107 Posts
when an engine is breaking itself in, the first time you change the oil is important. the oil will have a lot of stuff you dont want circulating through your engine. at 2000 miles i put in a magnetic drain plug and switched to M1 extended performance. at 7500 miles there were some metallic bits i cleaned off my oil plug. since then, almost nothing is stuck on the plug at oil changes. in a turbocharged engine, i would recommend changing the first oil at 1000 miles.
Thank you for the armrest tip ;).

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
571 Posts
Hiker very very first change is 3500 miles. After that all other changes are 7500 miles or less pending conditions.
Subiesailor
The maint schedule on the attached site is a mirror image of what is in my warranty/maintenance booklet. I consulted my dealer rep on their claim that 3000 miles should be the first one and his response was "we like to see them then just to go over things". If they want to make a revision to what Subaru requires for their warranty, then the dealer should pay for the first out of recommendation 3000 mi service. Those on here who received "free" maintenance for the first 2 years can do that as it doesn't cost anything, but paying upwards of $100 for a service not required is silly. Even doing the service yourself it would cost at least $40 for full synthetic. I would rather use $40 to go to our neighborhood pizzeria with the family on a friday night! The 2011's were different , but the 2013 clearly shows in the brochures provided by Subaru that the intervals are 7500 mi including the first one.
2013 Subaru maintenance schedule and new car break-in period

For the 2011 you are correct as it required (Subaru) to do the first one at 3,000
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/maintenance2.html

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
but the 2013 clearly shows in the brochures provided by Subaru that the intervals are 7500 mi including the first one.

I finally confirmed that the 2013 Warranty Maintenance booklet given with my 2013 2.5 Outback actually says to do the first oil change at 3 months or 3K miles. My sales guy, as I said - said that they had changed it recently.

heres a pic from my booklet - at top it says "2013 MY Legacy/Outback - Federal/California Specification Vehicles"

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
Oddly mine says 7500 miles on the 2013 2.5i here in Indiana and there is no distinction in terms of state. It just says 2013 Outback and has both the 3.6R as well as 2.5 i models. I wonder if only California delivered vehicles have the 3000 mile change? There are other differences in California vehicles in terms of emissions packages, etc

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited with SAP and the fancy foot lighting inside and out
49 Posts
Oddly mine says 7500 miles on the 2013 2.5i here in Indiana and there is no distinction in terms of state. It just says 2013 Outback and has both the 3.6R as well as 2.5 i models. I wonder if only California delivered vehicles have the 3000 mile change? There are other differences in California vehicles in terms of emissions packages, etc
I am in California, and my book clearly states 7500 on the 2.5. The picture from Sequoia225 I believe states that also. His picture did not show the whole thing. The top line of the oil change and filter change is for the 3.6, the bottom line is for the 2.5. Have to look to the right most column and I believe it will differentiate between the two models.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I am in California, and my book clearly states 7500 on the 2.5. The picture from Sequoia225 I believe states that also. His picture did not show the whole thing. The top line of the oil change and filter change is for the 3.6, the bottom line is for the 2.5. Have to look to the right most column and I believe it will differentiate between the two models.
oh really? I couldnt find the distinction when I looked at it - I will look tonight when I go back to it. Sorry if Im misleading everyone!!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts