Subaru Outback Forums banner

2013 2.5cvt first oil change

12K views 44 replies 16 participants last post by  Shadow 1100 
I am PRETTY sure my maintenance book says the first one is done on my 2.5 CVT before 7500 - I recall the sales guy saying they just changed it in the book when I bought. Ill have to look when I can tonight but I just bought on Xmas eve.

but the 2013 clearly shows in the brochures provided by Subaru that the intervals are 7500 mi including the first one.

I finally confirmed that the 2013 Warranty Maintenance booklet given with my 2013 2.5 Outback actually says to do the first oil change at 3 months or 3K miles. My sales guy, as I said - said that they had changed it recently.

heres a pic from my booklet - at top it says "2013 MY Legacy/Outback - Federal/California Specification Vehicles"

Attachments

I am in California, and my book clearly states 7500 on the 2.5. The picture from Sequoia225 I believe states that also. His picture did not show the whole thing. The top line of the oil change and filter change is for the 3.6, the bottom line is for the 2.5. Have to look to the right most column and I believe it will differentiate between the two models.
oh really? I couldnt find the distinction when I looked at it - I will look tonight when I go back to it. Sorry if Im misleading everyone!!!

Quick question - since I am fast approaching my 3000 miles and I only have one day off in the next weeks (including weekends), so I was going to get this done Friday.

I wanted to go to the dealer I bought from for the oil change.
How much can I expect to pay for this first oil change at the dealer?
Is it really like 30 dollars more for a synthetic oil change?

Typically, it should be for free - normally first one is for free. But not sure, how it works in your neck of the woods... call them up! If they do it (and charge you) it will be much more than just $ 30.00!
sorry I meant 30 dollar is more than a regular oil change.
I highly doubt it will be for free. I have that maintenance plan they offered but I believe that is only 4 visits right? I think they were suggesting I do that for the 7500 one. I dont know.

ok now Im confused. I just found a sheet I was mailed regarding the Subaru Maintenance Agreement and it has a maintenance schedule that is different than the warranty book. WTF?

It has a list of scheduled services and this one said the first oil change is at 3750, second at 7500. But then on the other side it says service intervals with my specific car and maintenance plan info and its marked 3000.

Not confusing at ALL Subaru - not a ALL

Pretty standard "revenue" issue... I too have 3 different "schedules" but I go with the one that is in my booklet... that you have published.... that is why, I change my oil myself - and keep meticulous records of oil viscosity, filters, dates, mileage, etc.

I will do it myself eventually, but for the first several Ill have them do it - since I have that maintenance plan.

I am looking forward to doing it now that the oil filter is right there. The 2003 OB wasnt THAT difficult but I didnt love pulling the filter from way up underneath. This one will be so much nicer.

Its 7500 miles for the first one. Call Subaru and ask them directly. Also unless you purchased the car with a free first oil change it will not be free. Minimum price will be $95-100 for full synthetic oil change. Minimum price on supplies only is around $40 + labor. The 3.6R engine has a 3750 mi first oil change, but 3000 miles is likley some dealer ploy. There are many forum postings about this and all lead back to 7500 miles for the first one on the 2013

Well, I forgot to look at my book last night - to see the part of the book that isnt in my picture to say if its for the 6Cyl or the 4Cyl.
However, as I mentioned - the paperwork that came to me in the mail from SOA that shows service recommendations for my specific car, shows 3000 and 3750 depending on which side of the paper.

What I DONT have is anything saying the first one is 7500 - unless my photo is misleading and that is for the 6cyl - which I have to verify - but I remember the sales guy saying (as I said before) that they have CHANGED this for the 2013s recently to show 3K as the first. Maybe some 2013s say one thing, and some say another.

I called the dealer I bought from and asked them. That service guy said that 3000 was maybe a bit aggressive but to do the first BEFORE 7500. He said about 5K.

BTW, heres a screen shot for MY Subaru maintenance info - so clearly, they have CHANGED this for the 2013s at some point. (see attached photo - and yes my estimated mileage to date is already grossly underrated on their site. lol)

The price they quoted me for the whole change was 68 dollars, and theres a coupon on their site for about 60
Subaru of Ontario | Vehicles for sale in Ontario, CA 91761

I called 2 other dealers and it was in the 60 dollar range for the whole oil change at both places.
I purchased the car (12/24) not with first oil change free but with the 2 yr/24000 mile service contract - which gives me 4 maintenance visits for free up to 24000.

The way I see it - my last Outback went to 240,000 miles and in the end it probably would have gone a lot farther as it was in GREAT shape otherwise - its major problem was because I didnt feed its HIGH oil appetite fast enough. It was taking about a quart a week and I just wasnt on it enough - till I killed the engine running it low too often. I drive a lot (24,000 miles a year).
I havent had the new car a month (17 miles @ purchase) and its almost at 3K now.
For this Outback - Im gonna lean on the safe side and do oil changes at the minimum recommendations. I will change it myself after the 24,000 service contract is up. Im ok paying for the 3K change.

Attachments

I know quite a few car companies have received a lot of critical comments from people about mandating synthetic oil. Maybe this is what is going on ....They are simply saying its ok to use conventional oil now? I will continue to use synthetic oil. I know MINI tried doing the same thing back in 2003 when the new mini cooper came out and they were blasted by quite a few people. Sounds very silly the inconsistent message Subaru is sending regarding the intervals. Synthetic oil changes are not cheap and for most of us that do not have money to burn I would rather wait until its required which according to everything with a Subaru logo on it in my glovvebox says 7500 miles is the first change
understandable - I think its insane the oil change at the dealer is 30 dollars difference for synthetic over conv.

I also just blame lack of communication. If I look on My Subaru (as my picture shows) - it shows 3000 for my car - but if I look at the "oil chart", it still shows 7500.
And as for the dealers, well dont get me started on how much Ive found the dealers to know less about their cars than I do. ;)

And here I am at the dealer getting that 3K oil change.
Thanks cardoc for the input. Im COMPLETELY fine with accepting that it is probably good for the car to do this around 3K.
Further, I found out when I got here that the 3K is one of the 4 "free" services under the 2YR/24000 service plan that came with my car. So this cost me nothing.

That said - I want to clarify that the photo I posted from the warranty manual was indeed UN-intentionally misleading.
As it was pointed out by another - what I failed to notice was that the top row showing a 3K oil change - was indeed for the 6 cylinder. So the manual does indeed still show 7.5K for the 4 cylinder like I have. BUT, the online My Subaru shows 3K and as I said - its covered under this promo service contract they did at purchase - so whatever.
But sorry for misleading photo I posted.

Thanks again cardoc for the info. Im sure plenty still think this is a ploy - but Im ok going on the conservative side. I plan to take this car PAST the 240,000 that my last OB went to.

ok not really - I will probably sell it earlier than that next time - but I still want to make this car go as far as it can. ;)

what type of oil change are you getting for free?
not sure what you are asking. I did my first oil change at 3000 miles - synthetic oil.

When I purchased, in December, many dealers were running a promotional service contract that included 4 free service visits before 2 years or 24000 miles. The 3K oil change is one of the 4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.