Subaru Outback Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts
Warranty& Maintenance Booklet

Page #34

Engine Oil & Filter 3 Months or 3000 Miles

Second Oil & Filter change is 7500 Miles

That's only 4500 Miles in between oil changes

Then it goes up increments of 7500 Miles

If you read it, tell me if you read the same, it can't be a typo!

It's the same for all models.

My booklet says what Sequoia225 posted...in my case, 3 months came first (at whatever mileage) and I have changed my oil at that time. Mind you I put like 4 miles daily only... to/from work. My dealer mailed me "reminder" and I will go by that so that I keep my warranty in force.

Quick question - since I am fast approaching my 3000 miles and I only have one day off in the next weeks (including weekends), so I was going to get this done Friday.

I wanted to go to the dealer I bought from for the oil change.
How much can I expect to pay for this first oil change at the dealer?
Is it really like 30 dollars more for a synthetic oil change?

Quick question - since I am fast approaching my 3000 miles and I only have one day off in the next weeks (including weekends), so I was going to get this done Friday.

I wanted to go to the dealer I bought from for the oil change.
How much can I expect to pay for this first oil change at the dealer?
Is it really like 30 dollars more for a synthetic oil change?
Typically, it should be for free - normally first one is for free. But not sure, how it works in your neck of the woods... call them up! If they do it (and charge you) it will be much more than just $ 30.00!

Typically, it should be for free - normally first one is for free. But not sure, how it works in your neck of the woods... call them up! If they do it (and charge you) it will be much more than just $ 30.00!
sorry I meant 30 dollar is more than a regular oil change.
I highly doubt it will be for free. I have that maintenance plan they offered but I believe that is only 4 visits right? I think they were suggesting I do that for the 7500 one. I dont know.

Sequoia225 - you are in the market area, where there is competition. Call few dealers and have them play/quote against each other... it always worked for me, when I lived over there!

ok now Im confused. I just found a sheet I was mailed regarding the Subaru Maintenance Agreement and it has a maintenance schedule that is different than the warranty book. WTF?

It has a list of scheduled services and this one said the first oil change is at 3750, second at 7500. But then on the other side it says service intervals with my specific car and maintenance plan info and its marked 3000.

Not confusing at ALL Subaru - not a ALL

Pretty standard "revenue" issue... I too have 3 different "schedules" but I go with the one that is in my booklet... that you have published.... that is why, I change my oil myself - and keep meticulous records of oil viscosity, filters, dates, mileage, etc.

Pretty standard "revenue" issue... I too have 3 different "schedules" but I go with the one that is in my booklet... that you have published.... that is why, I change my oil myself - and keep meticulous records of oil viscosity, filters, dates, mileage, etc.

I will do it myself eventually, but for the first several Ill have them do it - since I have that maintenance plan.

I am looking forward to doing it now that the oil filter is right there. The 2003 OB wasnt THAT difficult but I didnt love pulling the filter from way up underneath. This one will be so much nicer.

Its 7500 miles for the first one. Call Subaru and ask them directly. Also unless you purchased the car with a free first oil change it will not be free. Minimum price will be $95-100 for full synthetic oil change. Minimum price on supplies only is around $40 + labor. The 3.6R engine has a 3750 mi first oil change, but 3000 miles is likley some dealer ploy. There are many forum postings about this and all lead back to 7500 miles for the first one on the 2013

I just logged into "mysubaruvehicle" and it confirmed the 7500 miles being the first one on the 2.5i as well. That's 2 actual subaru mediums confirming the 7500 as the first one. Both my Warranty & Maintenancce Booklet as well as the schedule on My subaru vehicle website say 7500. Is there any more debate? Can the madness end?

I just logged into "mysubaruvehicle" and it confirmed the 7500 miles being the first one on the 2.5i as well. That's 2 actual subaru mediums confirming the 7500 as the first one. Both my Warranty & Maintenancce Booklet as well as the schedule on My subaru vehicle website say 7500. Is there any more debate? Can the madness end?
You must have a different Warranty/Maintenance booklet for 2013 OB that I and Sequoia have....see a picture of his booklet earlier.... that one clearly says: 3 months or 1000 x 3 = 3000 miles first oil change indicated in that booklet by "R" = replace!
Madness ends here....

When I log into "my subaru" it shows a 3000 and 7500 oil change. My feelings are that even if they didn't recommend it, I would do the first change prior to 7500. Necessary? Maybe, maybe not but it will make me feel better as a light gearhead...lol

Sent from my MB855 using AutoGuide App

Its 7500 miles for the first one. Call Subaru and ask them directly. Also unless you purchased the car with a free first oil change it will not be free. Minimum price will be $95-100 for full synthetic oil change. Minimum price on supplies only is around $40 + labor. The 3.6R engine has a 3750 mi first oil change, but 3000 miles is likley some dealer ploy. There are many forum postings about this and all lead back to 7500 miles for the first one on the 2013

Well, I forgot to look at my book last night - to see the part of the book that isnt in my picture to say if its for the 6Cyl or the 4Cyl.
However, as I mentioned - the paperwork that came to me in the mail from SOA that shows service recommendations for my specific car, shows 3000 and 3750 depending on which side of the paper.

What I DONT have is anything saying the first one is 7500 - unless my photo is misleading and that is for the 6cyl - which I have to verify - but I remember the sales guy saying (as I said before) that they have CHANGED this for the 2013s recently to show 3K as the first. Maybe some 2013s say one thing, and some say another.

I called the dealer I bought from and asked them. That service guy said that 3000 was maybe a bit aggressive but to do the first BEFORE 7500. He said about 5K.

BTW, heres a screen shot for MY Subaru maintenance info - so clearly, they have CHANGED this for the 2013s at some point. (see attached photo - and yes my estimated mileage to date is already grossly underrated on their site. lol)

The price they quoted me for the whole change was 68 dollars, and theres a coupon on their site for about 60
Subaru of Ontario | Vehicles for sale in Ontario, CA 91761

I called 2 other dealers and it was in the 60 dollar range for the whole oil change at both places.
I purchased the car (12/24) not with first oil change free but with the 2 yr/24000 mile service contract - which gives me 4 maintenance visits for free up to 24000.

The way I see it - my last Outback went to 240,000 miles and in the end it probably would have gone a lot farther as it was in GREAT shape otherwise - its major problem was because I didnt feed its HIGH oil appetite fast enough. It was taking about a quart a week and I just wasnt on it enough - till I killed the engine running it low too often. I drive a lot (24,000 miles a year).
I havent had the new car a month (17 miles @ purchase) and its almost at 3K now.
For this Outback - Im gonna lean on the safe side and do oil changes at the minimum recommendations. I will change it myself after the 24,000 service contract is up. Im ok paying for the 3K change.

Attachments

My owners manual (2013 2.5 cvt) states 7500 for first oil change, but mysubaru has been modified to include a 3000 mile service. No details on that service. So I emailed soa to get clarification. My email:

In my owners manual there is no service required until 7500 miles. I now notice on this site that there is a 3000 mile service - but no detail of what it is. Is the 3000 mile service necessary to keep in warranty? or will it void the warranty if I do not perform it? If it voids the warranty, where can I see what is to be serviced?

thank you,

The response:
Thank you for contacting Subaru of America. If you are using conventional oil the interval should be 3,750 miles. If you are using synthethic oil the interval is 7500 because the life of the synthethic oil is greater. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

K.Malik
CDS
Subaru of America

Not sure how to interpret that answer...

It's not the question, who's right and who's wrong, it's the wording of the book, not a salesman, we know that, he would be the first to hide if you mention the warranty word.

My owners manual (2013 2.5 cvt) states 7500 for first oil change, but mysubaru has been modified to include a 3000 mile service. No details on that service. So I emailed soa to get clarification. My email:

In my owners manual there is no service required until 7500 miles. I now notice on this site that there is a 3000 mile service - but no detail of what it is. Is the 3000 mile service necessary to keep in warranty? or will it void the warranty if I do not perform it? If it voids the warranty, where can I see what is to be serviced?

thank you,

The response:
Thank you for contacting Subaru of America. If you are using conventional oil the interval should be 3,750 miles. If you are using synthethic oil the interval is 7500 because the life of the synthethic oil is greater. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

K.Malik
CDS
Subaru of America

Not sure how to interpret that answer...
I know quite a few car companies have received a lot of critical comments from people about mandating synthetic oil. Maybe this is what is going on ....They are simply saying its ok to use conventional oil now? I will continue to use synthetic oil. I know MINI tried doing the same thing back in 2003 when the new mini cooper came out and they were blasted by quite a few people. Sounds very silly the inconsistent message Subaru is sending regarding the intervals. Synthetic oil changes are not cheap and for most of us that do not have money to burn I would rather wait until its required which according to everything with a Subaru logo on it in my glovvebox says 7500 miles is the first change

I know quite a few car companies have received a lot of critical comments from people about mandating synthetic oil. Maybe this is what is going on ....They are simply saying its ok to use conventional oil now? I will continue to use synthetic oil. I know MINI tried doing the same thing back in 2003 when the new mini cooper came out and they were blasted by quite a few people. Sounds very silly the inconsistent message Subaru is sending regarding the intervals. Synthetic oil changes are not cheap and for most of us that do not have money to burn I would rather wait until its required which according to everything with a Subaru logo on it in my glovvebox says 7500 miles is the first change
understandable - I think its insane the oil change at the dealer is 30 dollars difference for synthetic over conv.

I also just blame lack of communication. If I look on My Subaru (as my picture shows) - it shows 3000 for my car - but if I look at the "oil chart", it still shows 7500.
And as for the dealers, well dont get me started on how much Ive found the dealers to know less about their cars than I do. ;)

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.