Subaru Outback Forums banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts
Maybe I can make some sense of the early first oil change.

Engines aren't broke in when they are built. Its after the installation.

When an engine is built, all the moving parts to include the bearings, piston rings, rods, crank, cams, oil pump, valves, etc.; along with the seals that hold the oil on its side of the engine, are lubed with an assembly lube for first start up. During the first 500-1000 miles, metal is worn from the rings, cylinder walls, crank, cams and bearing surfaces. This is break in. This initial wear continues up to about 3k miles.

As the particulates make their way to the oil pan in circulation, some of it settles to the base of the pan, some gets trapped by the oil filter. Usually by the time you hit the 3k mark, all the particulates have been trapped in the filter. (Hint)

Years ago, when and engine was rebuilt and installed, it was taken on a break in run which usually took about 30 minutes to run the cycles then you drove it normal for a thousand then changed the oil and filter. But, with better filtration and oils compared to 20+ years ago, you can stretch that out. You still have a break in and its a good idea to change the oil and filter early for the first one.

Now, as far as conventional over synthetic. Conventional creates more carbon inside the engine and breaks down quick. Synthetic is less carbon and last more than twice as long with better lubrication which helps with fuel economy and power.

And here I am at the dealer getting that 3K oil change.
Thanks cardoc for the input. Im COMPLETELY fine with accepting that it is probably good for the car to do this around 3K.
Further, I found out when I got here that the 3K is one of the 4 "free" services under the 2YR/24000 service plan that came with my car. So this cost me nothing.

That said - I want to clarify that the photo I posted from the warranty manual was indeed UN-intentionally misleading.
As it was pointed out by another - what I failed to notice was that the top row showing a 3K oil change - was indeed for the 6 cylinder. So the manual does indeed still show 7.5K for the 4 cylinder like I have. BUT, the online My Subaru shows 3K and as I said - its covered under this promo service contract they did at purchase - so whatever.
But sorry for misleading photo I posted.

Thanks again cardoc for the info. Im sure plenty still think this is a ploy - but Im ok going on the conservative side. I plan to take this car PAST the 240,000 that my last OB went to.

ok not really - I will probably sell it earlier than that next time - but I still want to make this car go as far as it can. ;)

what type of oil change are you getting for free?
not sure what you are asking. I did my first oil change at 3000 miles - synthetic oil.

When I purchased, in December, many dealers were running a promotional service contract that included 4 free service visits before 2 years or 24000 miles. The 3K oil change is one of the 4.

not sure what you are asking. I did my first oil change at 3000 miles - synthetic oil.

When I purchased, in December, many dealers were running a promotional service contract that included 4 free service visits before 2 years or 24000 miles. The 3K oil change is one of the 4.
You answer it, synthetic :29:

41 - 45 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.