Subaru Outback Forums banner

So what will the MPG be for 2013 2.5L CVT first "break-in tank"?

• 23 MPG

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • 24 MPG

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • 25 MPG

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • 26 MPG

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • 27 MPG

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • 28 MPG

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • 29 MPG

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • 30 MPG

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 31 MPG

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • 32 MPG

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB Limited, 2.5 w/Moonroof
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK just for fun (and please don't flame me if I missed this when I searched)...

With my fairly rural commute (say 70% around 50-55MPH and 30% city stop and go) and being somewhat of a slowpoke who eases to and from stop signs, the game here is to vote what you think my first tank MPG will be. So far the OB has 80 miles and 23 MPG so I'm about 20% of the way through the tank. The winner who posts a more specific figure to the tenth of a MPG (e.g., 30.2) will be awarded public recognition as Outback MPG (Mileage Prediction Guru) which is worth more than money and almost as valuable as "...total consciousness" for any Caddyshack fans out there...

So, here it goes...

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited w/ EyeSight
106 Posts
Your poll does not go low enough for me, my first tank was 22.3 manually calculated. I had hoped it as due to an incomplete fill up at the dealer when I bought the car, but the second tank yielded 23.4. I am 80 miles in to tank 3 at the moment.

60/40 freeway/city driving but I am in moderate traffic on the freeway on my way to work.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Limited
9 Posts
I got 27.4mpg on my first tank. I do 90% freeway, 10% city. 80 mile round trip commute 6 days a week with a lot of traffic on the 40 miles back home, with lots of up hill and downhill mixed in and its been 100+ degrees here in the past week so my A/C was blasting non-stop. My MPG reading on the center display said 26.7mpg.

So far I'm happy with it, I'm sure it will only get better. When I was driving today after refueling for the first time I was getting an impressive 31.9mpg according to the gauges when I was driving 65-70mph on the freeway until I hit traffic halfway back home.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I did not respond to this poll but often rent brand new Outback's and Legacy's from Dollar RAC when in Portland, OR on business.

Pretty shocking but I have never gotten above 23, but these are new engines that need break-in. My 2011 Outback usually displays between 27 and 28 and gets an actual of 26 or so with 70% city and 30& highway.

·
Registered
2013, not the one with a V6, the V4 model
84 Posts
You can't trust the computer for this. You can only be sure if you calculate it manually. Actually you can only be sure if you have me calculate it manually for you. I predict that the answer I calculate for you will be 26.3.

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
Can't participate in the poll yet. Only have 19.5 miles on the odometer; however, it lists 29 MPG for the moment.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Limited
5 Posts
First tank on my new 2013 2.5 Ltd Outback. 28.1mpg calculated manually, 29.1mpg according to the onboard computer.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
First tank 25.3 hand calculated. Best 27 mpg. I currently am at 26.4 on the gauge with 2400 miles. I have lowered the MPG display by about .9mpg by turning the dealer mode to -3. On my last fillup it said 26.7 and acutal was 27 so I'm happy with where its adjusted.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i 6M/T
18 Posts
I don't have a CVT but I just ended my first gas tank last night so I felt compelled to reply. Hand calculated it came out to 25.75 mpg. It was very mixed driving and barely any interstate. My onboard computer was about 1 mpg optimistic.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
You can't trust the computer for this. You can only be sure if you calculate it manually.
You can't calculate it manually if you don't know how full it was on delivery.

...before doing anything, you must first do something else,

Looby

·
Registered
2015 Twilight Blue Legacy Premium
466 Posts
This is very hard to judge because people drive differently and get differents mpgs. With that being said, I'll say 24.2.

My first tank yielded me 25.7. My lowest has been 25.2 and my highest has been 26.8. I am happy with that seeing as how my commute is 75city-25 highway. During the weekend it's all city and traffic lights are very close together.

Also, I am getting the same mpgs ( and maybe a few tenths better) as the 2012 Impreza I traded.

·
Registered
2013, not the one with a V6, the V4 model
84 Posts
...before doing anything, you must first do something else,

Looby
Right. The first step, in my case, is to decide on what the answer will be - 26.3. Later, after I have won the contest, I will determine how much fuel must have been in the car to begin with. I might have to ask for some help with the math, though.

·
Registered
2013 OB Limited, 2.5 w/Moonroof
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Day 2 - the plot thickens...

Verrrry interesting comments folks and actual results from current owners so thanks for that... I can't promise daily updates, but here's a progress report and a few bits of info folks requested in the thread to either help or prejudice the jury...

The car had a full tank from the dealer... Of course they could have cheated a bit, but it was above the "F" when I drove it off the lot.

Today, the mileage ticked up from 23 to 23.8 after a brief hop up to 24.1... I now officially despise stop lights and parking lots watching the numbers drop. Interesting to me at least, is the mileage ticks up/down in ".3" increments... This causes severe fits of OCD alarm for me since it should be perfect ".1" decimal increments right??! :gasp:

The weather has turned cool down in Hotlanta this week so the A/C is off... If I recall Driver's Ed well enough, I believe wind resistance overcomes the savings from the A/C at about 50MPH... I'd love to have the GPS on with an average MPH reading, but would guess I'm somewhere in the 40s average.

So far the trend is saying 25MPH will be the number... But I may have to make a road trip to take oldest child out of town next weekend for a tournament, so that may skew the results. Still negotiating to give my car to wife during break-in period to take hers on the highway run for 4 hours as much as it pains me...

I am thoroughly enjoying this car/SUV/CUV/wagon/whatchacallit...

Let the games continue!

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
The car had a full tank from the dealer... Of course they could have
cheated a bit, but it was above the "F" when I drove it off the lot.
Not "cheating" so much as individual differences -- the wife gives up
when the pump first cuts off, while I often add almost another gallon.
Either way is ok -- as long as the same approach is used consistently.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited w/moonroof package and Illumination Package #2 Dark Grey Metallic
67 Posts
you will calculate 24.4 mpg. your trip computer will read 25 mpg.

I've seen my mpg go up and up with every fill up... Interstate driving will totally skew the results. If you go on the interstate with this first tank I will predict 25.1 mpg.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,016 Posts
Upon refuel from dealers "free" fill-up. 16.9 gallons, OD 429miles =21.55mpg.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts