Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Limited Pearl White SAP
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have located a 2013 Outback 2.5i Limited, Satin White Pearl with the Appearance Package – including but not limited to Saddle Brown leather interior, Keyless Access and start, 10-way power driver’s seat, power moon roof, Navigation system, 17” alloy wheels, gray finish exterior door handles, keyless access button, matte finish wood-grain trim. This vehicle also includesffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
Splash guards<O:p></O:p>

Cargo net, rear seat back<O:p></O:p>

Wheel locks<O:p></O:p>

Body side molding satin pearl white<O:p></O:p>

$31,990 plus lic/title/reg fees, less your trade in value.
I live in Portland Orygun and I about fell out of my chair when I read this...
I have seen dealers post 2.5 SAP on their Websites for $30,500.00.

It came from a credit union auto buyer that I bought my current car through that was a much better deal then this appears to be. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

He did give me a trade-in value based on Mileage that was what I expected.
<O:p></O:p>

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I don't think that's a super great deal. I got my 3.6R SAP for only slightly more than that. A good deal on a 2.5 SAP should be around $30K even or slightly less.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I am expecting. 30K even with my trade in at 14500 which gives me 5000 and change in equity as a down payment. Current owe about 9300 on the current ride.

I dont want Body side molding. I can get any accessories I want after the fact sans mark up. Only thing I am mildly interested in is the wheel well trim.

This is my first number and will let the 6 dealers in Portland fight for my business.

·
Registered
2013 OB Limited 2.5 CVT
53 Posts
Ha ha 6 dealerships in your general area must be nice.

We are in a city of 750,000 people and the next dealership in Canada is 355 miles away and in the other direction there is one 450 miles away. The closest two in the US are 200 and 300 miles away.

Needless to say we do not have a lot of Canadian bargaining power they basically sell cars full retail. Across the border the prices were much more discounted.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THE reply...

Thanks for the email and your candid reply.

Just to assist you in being informed….The MSRP for this vehicle is $34,456. The price I have quoted is just about invoice. If you could purchase this car at 15% off MSRP it would be over $2,500 off of invoice and I am confident that there is not a Subaru dealer in Oregon that is able to sell it at that price and offer what you are expecting for your Mazda3.

It is interesting, I went on Kelley Blue Book and priced this car and they say the MSRP should be $33,535 (including all the extras). Edmonds.com say the MSRP should be $34,156 (including all the extras). I am not sure how they get their pricing but if they can’t get the MSRP correct I have less faith in their estimated purchase price. According to research I have done their numbers are based on “actual sales of vehicle” however the price of the new car is only half of a typical car buying transaction. The trade in value is the other half. If a dealership lowers the selling price of the new car and adjusts the trade in value down as well the buyer is not netting any additional amount.

What I mean is that say I offer to sell the Subaru to you for $29,990 ($2,000 less than my original offer – which I can’t do but stay with me) but I only give you $12,580 for your trade in (also $2,000 less than my original offer) the net purchase price would be exactly the same. This happens all the time at dealerships.

I understand that your expectation is to be at $25,000 and we are currently just over $27,100 with all lic/title/reg fees included. I might be able to talk my source down $100 but there is not much more in it than that

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
I don't know how you feel about hat reply, but that was a more professional reply that I have seen for a while. The rep basically said since we are giving you more for the trade, don't expect movement on the new car.

That is a typical practice and Edmunds and KBB are national so the prices are higher and lower a crossed the USA.

Use the final quote to shop at your other dealers, see if they will move.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a quote from the Internet Dept from one of the 6 Portland Subbie dealers.
White 2.5 SAP with Puddles for 30140. BAM!!

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
Always and I mean always separate the price of the new car and the price for the trade in. The tit-for-tat crap is just crap, and they know it and hope that you can't see through it. Decide what you are willing to pay for the new car and what you need/demand for the trade in. Then start "dealing".

·
Registered
2013 OB Limited 2.5 CVT
53 Posts
+2 Cash is king. Trades just confuse things. I sold my Jetta tdi for $12,600 just before I bought my OB instead of trading it in.

If I worked the numbers backwards from the cash price I paid for the OB the dealership was offering me the equivalent of about $5200 for the Jetta in trade.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I paid $29,900 for this car in Chicago area. Seems prices you are getting are quite high.

2013 Black 2.5i Limited with:
SAP (Special Appearance Package)

FLOOR MATS, ALL WEATHER-SET OF 4
REAR SEAT BACK PROTECTOR
SPLASH GUARDS-OUTBACK
PUDDLE LIGHTS

BODY SIDE MOLDING KIT CRYSTAL BLACK SILICA
REMOTE STARTER
WHEEL LOCKS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts