Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ Sunroof
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see this reported elsewhere, but for those with the 2013 3.6 engine, the oil filter is now mounted horizontally and away from hot exhaust pipes!:29:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Huh. On my 2012 it was horizontal at the right (passenger) front corner of the engine.... I never noticed any hot exhaust nearby. Will have to check my 2013....have not looked under the front yet.

Getting heat away ftom oil is a good thing....remember all the Toyota and Saab engine sludge recalls? The cat was placed under the oil pan to speed warm up but it coked and sludged the oil over time.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ Sunroof
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Huh. On my 2012 it was horizontal at the right (passenger) front corner of the engine.... I never noticed any hot exhaust nearby. Will have to check my 2013....have not looked under the front yet.

Getting heat away ftom oil is a good thing....remember all the Toyota and Saab engine sludge recalls? The cat was placed under the oil pan to speed warm up but it coked and sludged the oil over time.
Yup. I remember those. They weren't the only ones. When I was researching changing my own oil, everyone wrote about the wrong-side down vertical filter and how it was a pain to get to around the hot pipes. So I was surprised when I saw that the filter had changed position.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts