Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I did the first oil and oil filter change on the car today. Let's just say that getting the splash guard off was a trip. 2 Bolts and 10 Plastic Fasteners.

Has anyone been able to remove the oil filter with the shield in place? If so, just stuff some rags under it or what do you do to keep the mess to a minimum.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
146 Posts
On my '11 it was just a corner of the plastic guard that was in the way...so I just trimmed (cut) it such that the oil doesn't hit it and it doesn't have to be removed.
Changes are simple now. Only thing really needed is a socket wrench for the drain plug.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Just to clarify, I'm not talking about draining the engine, only removing the oil filter.
ooops - I thought you were talking about the oil drain plug... On my 2010 Forester though, I don't remember having to remove the shield - but then again, perhaps I might have discarded it long time ago because in some climates there is no real need for one. I don't even remember, if there was one, when I got the car in 2009. Water gets under the shield anyway and there is no mud to speak of on Calif. freeways or Florida highways. My wife's car (bought in FL) doesn't even have the rear section of the shield; it is not even sold with one in the South (I was told by Honda).
There was also an issue with Quick Oil Change places because they kept losing some clips that hold the shield in place.
In your climate (if they use salt on roadways in winter) it make sense to have one!

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Generic tip, not sure how easy it is to apply to the modern 3.6:

Once you have loosened the filter, use a plastic solo cup as a "glove" to unscrew the filter and catch most of the drips. You may need to experiment a bit until you find the right size cup.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've done several changes on my 2010 and don't remove the splash guard. Maybe it's bigger for 2013, but if I loosen the filter it starts draining slowly and the flow clears the guard. Just in case I put rags on top of the guard. Then cleanup is easy, if any. I let it drain for 10 minutes, open it a little more, etc. No way i'd remove it regardless. Make up a diversion funnel, maybe?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I came up with a cheap and easy fix. Based on other comments, I realized I didn't really need to fight with that shield the next time. I took a 1/2 gallon square cross section milk bottle and cut it in half on the corners. Hope you can figure it out. It fits right around the area where the oil would leak and has the opening end for draining into a pan. Cheap and easy to use.

Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
978 Posts
It looks like the undercover has to come out one in a while, anyway. How else can you check the engine and steering lines for leaks? I got some replacement clips just in case.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Under engine cover clips

When I pulled the cover, there were TWO different sized pin type clips. Anyone have the correct Subaru part numbers? I looked at several online parts books and they all claim only one is used. I know that there are two different sized ones on the car.

Thanks in advance.

avk:
Great source for clips and fasteners - cheaper than Subaru OEMs...

www.clipsandfasteners.com/Subaru_Grill_Bumper_Clips_s/304.htm

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
When I pulled the cover, there were TWO different sized pin type clips. Anyone have the correct Subaru part numbers? I looked at several online parts books and they all claim only one is used. I know that there are two different sized ones on the car.

Thanks in advance.
You don't need the P/N if you order it from an aftermarket website. All you need is to have one of the clips that you need in front of you and measure diameter and length. Many of the OEM Subaru clips can be replaced with better clips that have the same dims (diameter and length). I prefer those with Philips head that screw in and expand rather than push on types. Push on types deteriorate in time and break, when you pry them open. I have replaced many OEM clips like that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
7 Participants
Danbike
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing