Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did another oil & filter change / tire rotation on our 3.6R yesterday at 37,620 miles on the odometer (and 6,000 miles between oil & filter changes). I have been running Castrol GTX 5W30 conventional oil since acquisition right at two years ago. We have put slightly more than 12,000 miles on the vehicle with no evidence of oil consumption to date so I am quite happy thus far.

This is an easy vehicle to DIY. My opinion may change when new spark plug time rolls around.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
487 Posts
The normal Oil/filter is pretty easy, although not as easy as the FB series engines, with the filter on top. Looking at my wife's new Crosstrek, that filter on top makes it really a piece of cake. They even provide a drip ring/cup around the filter, so the oil doesn't go dripping everywhere.

If you want an even easier change, buy a Fumoto valve to replace the regular drain plug. You then just press the release up and rotate, the oil drains, flip it back into the locked position when done and refill. (That baby gets taken back off before I sell or trade my Outback, and will hopefully fit whatever model replaces it when the time comes).

The only real problem spot for maintenance are the plugs, they're going to be a real PITA. Actually four(4) of them won't be bad, it's the remaining two that cause problems on the H6, as there isn't a lot of room to work with on the back two. Dealer claims they loosen the engine mounts and lift it up an inch or two to gain access. One or two members mentioned you can get them from underneath, as opposed to from the top, or vice-a-versa. They indicate to conservatively change them at 60k, although they are Iridium and should go 100k. - I'm just under 55k now, so 60k will come due in late spring or early summer for me. Not looking forward to changing them....starting to get too old to go climbing under and contorting to do some of this stuff anymore.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
The EZ plugs are robust and pointless to change before 100k mechanically speaking. Here's my current H6 changing philosophy after doing a bunch and noticing the nonexistent plug related issues on EZ engines:

Change the spark plugs and valve cover gaskets at the same time once around the 100-125k mark and you can get away with one change over the life of the vehicle.

Valve cover gaskets are nearly guaranteed to need replaced by 250k and with them removed the spark plug job is super easy. I've done a bunch this way now.

It's nearly pointless to replace these plugs three times by 200k.
That being said - I understand that most people have no experience and don't want to trust whatever they read on the internet.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have about 15 years of ownership experience with iridium spark plugs (Denso and NGK) across five different vehicles. These iridium plugs easily do 130,000 to 150,000 miles in most normal applications. I have never had to replace a set of iridium plugs that had less than 130,000 miles on them, and expect the same with our 2013 3.6R.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 3.6R
6 Posts
On a related note, I am performing my 60K service tomorrow on my 2014 3.6. Decided to skip the plugs for the reasons above, but took a look at my power steering fluid and it has good color (bright red), level is right. Seems like a shame to flush it right now. Did anyone else find themselves skipping it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts