Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all !
New guy here.
After carefully reading many posts here and educating myself, I went to Subaru dealership to see if I am going to purchase my first Subaru Outback.
I had many questions before I started reading posts on this forum.
Questions were - from 4 to 6 cylinders, to 2012 or 2013.
Even before going to dealership I learned about the year issue.
For very small price difference, one should go with 2013.
No question in my mind.
The big thing for me was - is it going to be 4 cylinder or 6.
So I took the 4 for the test drive.
As I wrote above, before I did that I carefully read many posts on this subject. I also noticed many people getting very heated when it comes to their 4 cylinder engines. I have no idea how good of a drivers these people are, how much they know about basic engines etc. but to my AMAZEMENT, after the very first mile of driving, I noticed two things :
1. Engine is CLEARLY struggling with the size (weight) of that vehicle.
2. You can hear the hum of CVT on this car.
Presently I have one vehicle with CVT (Honda CRZ) and I CANNOT hear this thing.
Now remind you : I test drove the 2013, with the "improved" engine and CVT. I hate to think what's like with "old" 2012 CVT and engine.
NO THANKS !!!!
If I go with the Outback, it will be 2013 and it MUST be 6 for me.
And I bet that gas consumption (difference) between the 4 and 6 is NOT going to be that great.

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
Thank you for your input. Enjoy all the tire roasting you'll be doing with the six. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well...from what I see of the figures, the difference in gas mileage is significant. To move from the SAAB 9-5 we're driving now, to get the same mileage figures we have to accept an adequate (but underpowered, to us) 4 cyl that delivers about the same mileage as our SAAB, or move to a six that adds 200 pounds or so to the front end and gets worse mileage. Oh, and a slushbox. That is what will probably disqualify the Outback as our next car.....luckily we've got a year or so before we have to decide.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I must be a very poor driver. My OB four banger doesn't seem to struggle nor have I had any need for WOT since I bought it.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
I can't beleive there could be that much difference with 2 more cylinders...

Perhaps we should discuss this at length so we can come to a definitive answer :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't beleive there could be that much difference with 2 more cylinders...

Perhaps we should discuss this at length so we can come to a definitive answer :rolleyes:
And few more horses ? :rolleyes:
No need for any length here. I saw your :rolleyes:, and I am aware that the feelings of your 4 cylinders are hurting.
All I did is state something so obvious, no harm meant.
Enjoy your 4 !

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I must be a very poor driver. My OB four banger doesn't seem to struggle nor have I had any need for WOT since I bought it.
Yes very very poor driver here also - even towing my boat or tent trailer the 2.5 seems to do just fine even over the Sierras on hot summer days seems to be OK and can even do the SPEED Limit! My last 2.5 did the same for a very long time 180,000 miles before I sold it in perfect running condition needed more space hence the CVT OB.

By the way if you think the CVT is bad the 4spd Auto would cause you to go into cardiac arrest.

By the way you want to see a car struggle take the (Honda CRZ) through the Rockies in the summer with the AC running. CRZ has been blasted for being one of the most gutless Honda offerings ever.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
Yes very very poor driver here also - even towing my boat or tent trailer the 2.5 seems to do just fine even over the Sierras on hot summer days seems to be OK and can even do the SPEED Limit! My last 2.5 did the same for a very long time 180,000 miles before I sold it in perfect running condition needed more space hence the CVT OB.

By the way if you think the CVT is bad the 4spd Auto would cause you to go into cardiac arrest.

By the way you want to see a car struggle take the (Honda CRZ) through the Rockies in the summer with the AC running. CRZ has been blasted for being one of the most gutless Honda offerings ever.
I must not be a very good driver either.......And I live at 7200', meaning I have 20+% less power than you do at sealevel.
I find that the ecogauge and the mileage readout motivate me to work at getting better mileage. First 10k was 30.5 mpg, and we seem to be closer to 32 since it flipped the 5th digit. And I have not noticed any particular lack of power. (But I generally take out my need for speed on my MCs.)

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
And few more horses ? :rolleyes:
No need for any length here. I saw your :rolleyes:, and I am aware that the feelings of your 4 cylinders are hurting.
All I did is state something so obvious, no harm meant.
Enjoy your 4 !
Feelings aren't hurt at all, just tired of seeing all these threads arguing a point that will never be agreed upon. And it's not "so obvious" as many have pointed out. There are several threads to read everyone's opinions.

I just think, as a first post, you could have been a little more diplomatic and brought some useful info. That is all.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your OB :29:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Feelings aren't hurt at all, just tired of seeing all these threads arguing a point that will never be agreed upon. And it's not "so obvious" as many have pointed out. There are several threads to read everyone's opinions.

I just think, as a first post, you could have been a little more diplomatic and brought some useful info. That is all.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your OB :29:
Thanks.
Diplomatic ? Useful info ?
Let me try to explain myself. I am 55 years old male with well over million miles behind the wheels of all kinds of different cars.
I may be new to this forum, but I am not new to cars and engines.
I did not join this forum to be "diplomatic", nor did I join this forum to make enemies. I joined because of simple reason that I could exchange some info on the car that I am contemplating buying.
Now, that I hope you understand this, let's go back to "diplomatic".
If I did write what I really think of that underpowered engine, that would be undiplomatic (and you may as well try to pull Sears Tower with that engine, just like some "towing" guys do, but only time will tell when you are going to blow the **** out of that engine).
And as long as "useful" info goes - I hope someone else who is also contemplating buying the OB, will be flexible enough to try both engines, and it doesn't take the genius to figure out which way to go.
On the other hand - that is my opinion, and as you know - opinions are like a--holes, everyone has one.
Good luck to all of you with 4 bangers, and especially to "towing" bunch.
Happy towing to all of you (just please keep your right lanes) !!

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Thanks.
Diplomatic ? Useful info ?
Let me try to explain myself. I am 55 years old male with well over million miles behind the wheels of all kinds of different cars.
I may be new to this forum, but I am not new to cars and engines.
I did not join this forum to be "diplomatic", nor did I join this forum to make enemies. I joined because of simple reason that I could exchange some info on the car that I am contemplating buying.
Now, that I hope you understand this, let's go back to "diplomatic".
If I did write what I really think of that underpowered engine, that would be undiplomatic (and you may as well try to pull Sears Tower with that engine, just like some "towing" guys do, but only time will tell when you are going to blow the **** out of that engine).
And as long as "useful" info goes - I hope someone else who is also contemplating buying the OB, will be flexible enough to try both engines, and it doesn't take the genius to figure out which way to go.
On the other hand - that is my opinion, and as you know - opinions are like a--holes, everyone has one.
Good luck to all of you with 4 bangers, and especially to "towing" bunch.
Happy towing to all of you (just please keep your right lanes) !!
Says the man with a million miles of driving

My grand pappy use to think the only engine that should ever be used in a vehicle was a strait 8. He turned over in his grave a long time ago when the 4bangers started doing what those old strait 8's did. HA HA The world of engines and how they are built has changed my 55yr old friend. 4 bangers out number any other engine made today and yes they tow just fine and last just as long as any other engine - have yet to see a 4banger blown up because it had a trailer hooked to it.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
Hello I just joined your forum and I ALWAYS find it beneficial to use CAPS. This also states that MY OPINIONS are indeed a FACT. Those who do not see things MY WAY are obviouly not EDUCATED in cars and automobiles. The FACT that the Subaru car buying public PREFERS to buy the 4cyl leaps and bounds over the 6cyl PROVES how society has lost its way.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
5,019 Posts
Hello I just joined your forum and I ALWAYS find it beneficial to use CAPS. This also states that MY OPINIONS are indeed a FACT. Those who do not see things MY WAY are obviouly not EDUCATED in cars and automobiles. The FACT that the Subaru car buying public PREFERS to buy the 4cyl leaps and bounds over the 6cyl PROVES how society has lost its way.
...???...:8:

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Ha ha - well done sir

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
No feelings hurt here, but it does seem like the only reason you started this thread was to annoy people who like their 4 cylinder Outbacks.

It is very different for me, because I used to drive a car that weighed about the same as the Outback, but had 50 fewer horses than the 4 cylinder! Believe it or not, that car could do 105 MPH and had a class III trailer hitch. I used to tow cars on dollies with it. I sold that car at 410,000 miles in 2002, and the woman I sold it to drives it every day... It has over 600,000 miles on it now!

I learned to drive on a Mercedes 240D. That car also weighed almost as much as an Outback, and had just 72 horsepower. It could do just over 90 MPH. That one had a class 1 hitch. I used to tow a 2,000 pound popup camper down the highway at 75 MPH with that car.

I don't tow any slower with the 4 cylinder Outback than I would with the 6 cylinder. My speed is limited to what I feel is a safe towing speed. That being said, I usually stick to the right lane, anyway. That's where you should be unless you are passing someone who is going slower.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
No feelings hurt here, but it does seem like the only reason you started this thread was to annoy people who like their 4 cylinder Outbacks.

It is very different for me, because I used to drive a car that weighed about the same as the Outback, but had 50 fewer horses than the 4 cylinder! Believe it or not, that car could do 105 MPH and had a class III trailer hitch. I used to tow cars on dollies with it. I sold that car at 410,000 miles in 2002, and the woman I sold it to drives it every day... It has over 600,000 miles on it now!

I don't tow any slower with the 4 cylinder Outback than I would with the 6 cylinder. My speed is limited to what I feel is a safe towing speed. That being said, I usually stick to the right lane, anyway. That's where you should be unless you are passing someone who is going slower.
MC sounds like an old Toyota?

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
214 Posts
I had a 2012 2.5i for almost a year and never had a problem getting around anywhere. I live at 5000 feet above sea level and have a home in Park City as well and mountain driving/snow has never been an issue in a 4 banger. Up I80, through the Cottonwoods---not an issue. I have driven a 3.6 and I know it has more power---there is no doubt about it. However, Im on my 2nd Outback that is a 2.5i and its just fine. I traded in my Navigator for the 2013 OB--that vehicle had some power!

I think the 3.6 is a great, the 2.5 is great for my purposes---snowboarding, mountains, camping, pulling a small 400lb trailer, and putting around town.

Regardless of what OB you go with, good luck with the purchase.

I wont debate the 2.5 vs. 3.6---I dont believe in internet bullying!!:D

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
MC sounds like an old Toyota?
Old Benz. I have had (in this order):

1983 240D - my first car. Rolled it when I was 16.
1979 300D - temp replacement. Was grey market taxi cab model.
1984 300SD - got this from my parents. First car I had with an airbag.
1983 300D - nicest one I owned. I put 210,000 miles on it.
1985 300D - project car. Ran on grease and biodiesel.
1980 300SD - was given to me. Parted it out.

Those cars ranged from 72 horsepower to 125 horsepower.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Old Benz. I have had (in this order):

1983 240D - my first car. Rolled it when I was 16.
1979 300D - temp replacement. Was grey market taxi cab model.
1984 300SD - got this from my parents. First car I had with an airbag.
1983 300D - nicest one I owned. I put 210,000 miles on it.
1985 300D - project car. Ran on grease and biodiesel.
1980 300SD - was given to me. Parted it out.

Those cars ranged from 72 horsepower to 125 horsepower.
LOL Diesel is a bit different. First "CAR" I drove was a 79 nonturbo VW diesel Dasher I recall it was some place in the 80hp bracket. Prior to that all the vehicles were trucks with big v8's

First car I owned was a 83 505 TD 5spd MT. Great car never once broke and was built like a brick sh-it house. Faster than the 83 TD MB by a nose hair though thats not saying much ha ha. I recall the engine in that car was practically right out of a farm tractor.

·
Registered
2007 outback 2.5i
271 Posts
oh, it's gonna be one of those threads.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.