Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't seen a 2013 done up with HIDs, so I thought I'd share the pictures as I go. Low beams will be done tomorrow and LEDs will be done whenever they arrive.

First, the kits are 55w 4500k from DDM. Fogs are H11, lows H7. In case anyone is wondering about the 55w bulbs in the fogs, I can tell you they run substantially cooler than the halogens they replaced. I did the left side first, kept them on for about 20 minutes, and touched my hand to the lens. The halogen side was quite a bit hotter than the HID side.
I was going to do a more comprehensive before/after photo shoot with the stock fogs at night, but once I got over to my buddy's place and we started to dive into it, I decided the fogs were getting done right then and there.
Does anyone know if the dealer can program the fogs to stay on with the high beams? I slipped a tech at our Chrysler dealership a 50 to enable this on my 300. Would be willing to do again.

I will say this, my Galaxy S3 doesn't do the standard low beams justice. I actually think the halogens are pretty good, but there's always room for improvement! ;) The HIDs look better in person too. The beam spread on the road is ultra wide which is great.
Anyway, here we go without anymore stalling!

You can see the headlights cutting through the smoke from all the fires in the area.

Anyway, I love the 55w 4500k kit! Very white in appearance, none of that ricer blue hue at all, and the increased light output is phenomenal.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And so it begins...

As with the pic with the halogens, this pic doesn't do the HIDs justice

Much better than halogens

There is a slight dark spot on the driver's side just in front of the car (not noticeable farther down beam range). I presume this is from the wire that is on the HID bulb.

Turn on the fog lights to complete the daylight effect :)

Lotsa light!

Update!
Got the low beams adjusted. They're fine for halogen bulbs at the stock level, but are definitely too high for HID's. I lowered them maybe 2-3 inches from 20ft back.
Stock right beam (Notice the line in the cement that the beam overlaps)

Lowered left beam (Brought beam line down to be about even with cement line)

Kind of a neat panoramic shot

That should be about all the pictures y'all can tolerate ;)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are the LEDs!
Here's what I'll say about the leds I got from superbrightleds: They're very, very bright. The 194 bulbs used in the headlamps, license plate lights, and under the doors are a very pure white. HOWEVER, the interior festoon bulbs and rectangular board (for cargo area) that I got are "warm white" because "natural white"(<-- 194 bulbs) wasn't offered for some reason. So these LEDs look VERY close to the stock bulbs in color. That said, they are far brighter and I am pleased with my interior.

Here's a list of the LEDs I bought from superbrightleds. The first two are the same, I don't know why it isn't just listed as 6 WLED-xHP5, but you get the idea. They're available in various colors, but I do like the natural white a lot.
---------- PRODUCT INFORMATION ----------
Qty | Product / Options | Price/ea |
============================================================
4 | WLED-xHP5: 194 LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Wide Angle Wedge Base| $ 5.95 |
WLED-WHP5: Natural White
------------------------------------------------------------
2 | WLED-xHP5: 194 LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Wide Angle Wedge Base| $ 5.95 |
WLED-WHP5: Natural White
2 | 3022-xHP4: DE3175 LED Bulb - 4 SMD LED Festoon| $ 6.95 |
3022-WWHP4: Warm White
1 | 3022-xHP4: DE3175 LED Bulb - 4 SMD LED Festoon| $ 6.95 |
3022-WWHP4: Warm White
1 | UPCB-xWHP30-T10: 30 High Power LED Rectangle PCB Lamp w/ Wedge Base| $ 17.90 |
UPCB-WWHP30-T10: Warm White T10 Base
Stock

"Natural white" LED

Comparo

Color matches the 55w 4500k HIDs almost too perfectly

This one shows how well they light up the housing

Even the "natural white" is a bit warmer than the stock puddle lights. But still much better.

Black interior isn't exactly ideal for showing off brightness, but it's still a helluva lot brighter than stock. You can also see the "warm white" doesn't look as you might expect a traditional LED to appear. I'm fine with that, but some might want it to look more white.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Looks like you went from aux light to driving light! Looks good. That last picture makes it look like it might be in peoples eyes, but it's at an angle. Straight on looks good.

55w? What is stock? I'd be more worried about circuit temp than lens temp but I suspect you're fine.

·
Registered
683 Posts
That looks really good! How hard was it to replace the fogs? Would this setup be preferable to the yellow fogs one sometimes sees?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Looks awesome! Unfortunately in a minute or two a bunch of members will show up on this thread to tell you how aftermarket HID's are illegal and you are a criminal and should be put in federal prison. It happens on every HID thread...hopefully this one won't degenerate into that.

Nice work! Can't wait to see the rest of your install. :29:

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Looks awesome! Unfortunately in a minute or two a bunch of members will show up on this thread to tell you how aftermarket HID's are illegal and you are a criminal and should be put in federal prison. It happens on every HID thread...hopefully this one won't degenerate into that.

I wish you were wrong but of course you are right. Hopefully the familiarity that many have with our esteemed member here will temper our more vocal... dissenters to this kind of thing.

To the rest of us, don't feed the trolls! If you ignore them they get board and move on, works on every forum I've been on... well sorta. :p

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like you went from aux light to driving light! Looks good. That last picture makes it look like it might be in peoples eyes, but it's at an angle. Straight on looks good.

55w? What is stock? I'd be more worried about circuit temp than lens temp but I suspect you're fine.
The road is tapered in a manner that tilts the near side up ever so slightly, plus cameras tend to make things look as though they have 10x more glare. I drove around for a half hour last night in town and wasn't flashed once. Went up Pattee Canyon as well and of the 6 or so other cars I saw, not a one flashed me. Hopefully it stays that way.
I'm about 95% confident the stock bulbs are 55w. The big surge of electricity required to ignite the bulbs goes from the ignitor to the bulbs and doesn't impact the stock wiring either (I've seen others have that concern).

That looks really good! How hard was it to replace the fogs? Would this setup be preferable to the yellow fogs one sometimes sees?
Fogs aren't so bad. Just take a few clips out beneath them on the belly pan and where it meets the wheel well and it can be pulled down enough to get your hand up there.
Yellow/white/blue is really just personal preference. I was going to get yellow for inclement weather, then during the ordering process decided I wanted them to match. Either way, HUGE improvement! :29:

I've seen those threads, too. They'll quickly find that the number of f***s I give is inversely proportional to the magnitude of their opinions.
These fog lights have a shield in front of the bulb (my 300c does not which is why I never use them in town) and that greatly reduces glare. The projectors also have a sharp cutoff and will be properly adjusted for my application. If that doesn't stave off the dissenters, then.... wait, I don't care about them :D

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What do you have in mind for interior leds? Custom job or are you going to splurge for the illumination kit?
Interior illumination kit will come later. Gotta figure out how to wire it since eyesight robs the usual connector used in the a-pillar.
I've just ordered the usual LED bulbs from superbrightleds. Overhead lights/door lights on the inside. License plate lights and the little bulb in the high beam housing that comes on with the low beams for the exterior.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Done with the low beams! Gotta say, it sucked. Pics to follow later after I shower.
LOL been there done that. Just know that you wont have to do that again for atleast 2 years.

Blood, and sweat makes it worth it! LOL:17:

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
That looks really great. Exactly what kit did you use? Ballasts...where did you place them...details and inside pics.....??

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL been there done that. Just know that you wont have to do that again for atleast 2 years.

Blood, and sweat makes it worth it! LOL:17:
I'm counting on that haha

That looks really great. Exactly what kit did you use? Ballasts...where did you place them...details and inside pics.....??
DDM 4500K 55W. I mounted them with Velcro. Fog ballasts to the back of the bumper support beam. Lows kind of on the ledge beneath the outside edge of the headlight.

Definitely need to adjust these babies down. Any info on where the adjustment screw is?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Can't wait to see finished project. I have thought to do it on my lgt for years. Looks good so far. And would love to see internal illumination with eyesight

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Updated in post #2 with some pictures of the low beams done!
Unfortunately, I think I'll have to pull part of the bumper tomorrow. The part where the bumper meets the fender right at the headlight line sticks out just a couple mm farther than the fender. I'm pretty OCD so now that I've noticed it, it's all I see.
Anyone else had issue getting the bumper flush with the fender right next to the headlight?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nice job !!!

1 - 20 of 124 Posts
About this Discussion
123 Replies
46 Participants
AKdonkey
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing