Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a 2013 service manual and can look up the wiring diagram for the nav system for me? I'm about to start going trial and error to find the parking brake and reverse signals.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Anybody have a 2013 service manual and can look up the wiring diagram for the nav system for me? I'm about to start going trial and error to find the parking brake and reverse signals.
What will that accomplish if you find it? Just curious.... I would like to find out how to disable the defalulted circuit that prevents the Nav system from working while the car is in motion.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What will that accomplish if you find it? Just curious.... I would like to find out how to disable the defalulted circuit that prevents the Nav system from working while the car is in motion.
Bingo. I'm fairly certain it will be easy to do, I just need to know which wire. (Or I check every wire while turning the brake on and off)

It won't be clean and reversible like the Kenwood mod, but it should just be a matter of cutting a wire and wiring it to gnd or 12v instead of the parking brake.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Nav system fully operates when car stops - parking brake does not have to be engaged. Actually, elsewhere on these pages, someone found that Nav system can be operated while car goes below 5 MPH - but I have tested it myself and found that as long as the car is not moving - the NAV system can be operated (regardless of parking or regular brake engaged...). So, I think that sensor might somehow be connected to the tachometer and not brakes....just my opinion...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nav system fully operates when car stops - parking brake does not have to be engaged. Actually, elsewhere on these pages, someone found that Nav system can be operated while car goes below 5 MPH - but I have tested it myself and found that as long as the car is not moving - the NAV system can be operated (regardless of parking or regular brake engaged...). So, I think that sensor might somehow be connected to the tachometer and not brakes....just my opinion...
Yes, that is true. There is also a speed sensor input (not tach, though). I know there's a parking brake input, too, though, since the brake status shows up on the info screen.I assume a brake will be easier to fake out than a speed sensor.

A wiring diagram would also nicely show the speed sensor input. Anyone?

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
OK but if you "fake out" brake sensor and not the "speed/motion" sensor you may not achieve, what we need...i.e. have the ability to operate Nav while the car is moving.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
From elsewhere on this forum:

After asking about the NAV system in my 2013 Outback Limited, I got this email reply from Subaru today:

"Your 2013 Outback is not equipped with a Kenwood navigation system. There was a change in navigation system provider for the 2013 Outback models. It is now Fujitsu Ten product specifically designed for Subaru vehicles. There is no model number for the navigation system, as it is built specifically for your 2013 Outback."

Fujitsu Ten is a parent company of the aftermarket company Eclipse, and the OEM supplier for Toyota. At one point they partnered with TomTom for navigation on the Eclipse units.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Yes, that is true. There is also a speed sensor input (not tach, though). I know there's a parking brake input, too, though, since the brake status shows up on the info screen.I assume a brake will be easier to fake out than a speed sensor.

A wiring diagram would also nicely show the speed sensor input. Anyone?
I have just sent an email to Fujitsu Ten in Torrance, Calif. asking them if they can provide the wiring diagram. Will let you know, if they will.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK but if you "fake out" brake sensor and not the "speed/motion" sensor you may not achieve, what we need...i.e. have the ability to operate Nav while the car is moving.
Possibly.

But why include a parking brake sensor if it's not being used as an alternate way to enable navigation functionality?

If I were designing it, I'd have the parking brake be a simple sensor to enable/disable, and the speed sensor be the more complicated one. The question is whether the parking brake will override the speed sensor to enable, or whether the speed>5mph will override the parking brake sensor.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have just sent an email to Fujitsu Ten in Torrance, Calif. asking them if they can provide the wiring diagram. Will let you know, if they will.
I think the Subaru Factory Service Manual will have everything needed, I just need to find one. I was aware that the Nav was made by Fujitsu-Ten/Eclipse as well. I took the deck out and tried to look up model numbers, but nothing comes up - it's just like the other thread said - the deck is made specifically for Subaru. It has similarities to other decks made by Fujitsu-Ten, but the wiring is different.

·
Registered
832 Posts

This is exactly how the "new" Alpine nav brain in my Accord works. With the "old" unit the parking brake bypass box allowed me to access all of the functions and menus but the new version will block out certain functions once the speed sensor picks up I'm moving. It's a pain but I just have to remember to set up certain screens before I get going.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
I think the Subaru Factory Service Manual will have everything needed, I just need to find one. I was aware that the Nav was made by Fujitsu-Ten/Eclipse as well. I took the deck out and tried to look up model numbers, but nothing comes up - it's just like the other thread said - the deck is made specifically for Subaru. It has similarities to other decks made by Fujitsu-Ten, but the wiring is different.
Fujitsu refered me to SOA for the diagram, as suspected....back to square one then - one by one wire to be checked....I think it's doable but just time consuming...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Se7enLC - FWIW having been around GPS manufacturing...
The later designs dont need inputs from the car brakes, light ect.
They just use the internal GPS function for speed to lock the user out.
Your should be looking for a software override and how to enable the service mode.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Se7enLC - FWIW having been around GPS manufacturing...
The later designs dont need inputs from the car brakes, light ect.
They just use the internal GPS function for speed to lock the user out.
Your should be looking for a software override and how to enable the service mode.
GPS is not particularly accurate at low speeds and distances, especially if there is spotty GPS coverage (in a city, tunnel, etc). From the details on the Eclipse website of a very-similar model that this one is likely based on, it directly interfaces the speed sensor of the vehicle rather than relying on the GPS for the speed-based lockout. As a bonus, it also uses the speed sensor for dead-reckoning so that you will still get navigation in tunnels and when GPS signal is lost (until the speed+direction errors become large enough to push you off the map, I imagine).

"Service Mode" in the 2012 and earlier model just enabled the display so you could see the status of the brake as far as I could tell from the details of the lockout disable hack. That display is available on the 2013 without any hack needed, it's just in the System Info page.

As for a software hack, that's an unlikely one to find. We would need some leaked info about the navigation system, and it would pretty much need to be specifically intended to allow that change. I don't see it happening, and certainly not soon.

Here's what I did to enable navigation in my 2013 while in motion:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/61-general-discussions/49538-ram-cell-mount-2013-a.html

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This looks close to the same unit.
It would appear this is a prev generation unit and it does not use the internal GPS locking.

AVN827GA | Navigation | Products | ECLIPSE | Fujitsu Ten

The install diagram has the color codes..
The color codes do not match up to the wiring in the Subaru, nor do the connectors. The only similarity is the UI. That AVN827GA may perhaps be the model that the 2013 Navigation is BASED on. But it is not the same unit at all.

·
Registered
832 Posts
On top of colors bring wrong, the physical wire locations in the harness probably aren't in the same arrangement.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you find a way to allow the system to bypass the motion sensor, I am dying to know how to do that! I really need my navi and phone fully operable while driving. If you look CLOSELY in the manual on page 24, you will see a reference to the features not working when the "safety is on". How do you set the safety to OFF is the magic question. Subaru public relations will not tell me!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
6 Participants
BATROB
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing