Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Saab 9-7x
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just have a quick question since I am buying a new outback in the next couple weeks. The audio systems are very important to me and I was wondering what the different ones where with the different trims and such I had read some where that they is like 4 speaker 6 speaker and a 9 speaker system. Is this right and what trims do they come on because I really would like the best audio.

Thanks

Jon

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
All that info is available on Subaru's website or on Edmunds.com....

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
There's no 9 speaker system. There's a 7 and they count the coaxials as 2, which is crap.

Go to your dealer and listen to each one with a trusty CD and judge with your own ears would be about the best advise I can offer.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
A coaxial as it's name implies is two drivers mounted in a common chassis sharing the same driver axis. I've not pulled the rear door panels but coaxes could be considered four speakers in two chassis'. I didn't listen to the stereo in the premium but the H/K in our Limited is decent for what my wife likes. If it were my car I would have to upgrade the drivers and add a separate amp.

·
Registered
2011 2.5 Limited Cypress Green
573 Posts
The 7 speaker system is decent. Good speakers with amplifiers...

The headunit, however, sucks. Do yourself a favor:

Skip the navigation, get the HK system, rip the headunit out, take it out to the middle of a field Office Space style

Buy a decent head unit and hook it up with coaxials to your built in amps. Rock out.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP
50 Posts
A coaxial as it's name implies is two drivers mounted in a common chassis sharing the same driver axis. I've not pulled the rear door panels but coaxes could be considered four speakers in two chassis'. I didn't listen to the stereo in the premium but the H/K in our Limited is decent for what my wife likes. If it were my car I would have to upgrade the drivers and add a separate amp.
I wish I had pictures with me but the rear door speakers are some dinky 4" main driver with a separate tweeter component mounted above it.

Actually.. looks like someone already posted it in the past on this site. I don't know where the thread is that this came from but here's the picture of the components of the HK system.

·
Registered
573 Posts
There is also a subwoofer in the rear cargo area.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I wish I had pictures with me but the rear door speakers are some dinky 4" main driver with a separate tweeter component mounted above it.

Actually.. looks like someone already posted it in the past on this site. I don't know where the thread is that this came from but here's the picture of the components of the HK system.

He stated that these were the components of the HK system, yet it is missing the subwoofer and amplifiers. That's what I was pointing out. My earlier post in this subject was strictly about the HK system as well. Therefore, this photo is missing the subwoofer from the cargo area.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
My mistake, you didn't mention that you were referencing a previous post. Sounded like you were stating that the subwoofer is in the rear cargo area as standard.

·
Registered
573 Posts
My mistake, you didn't mention that you were referencing a previous post. Sounded like you were stating that the subwoofer is in the rear cargo area as standard.

My mistake as well, I should have mentioned I was referencing the HK set-up. Maybe I had too much coffee yesterday...

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i, 2011 WRX Limited
84 Posts
I've mentioned it before, but the HK system in our limited is the nicest audio system we've ever had in a vehicle. Even the stereo in the Premium was pretty good, IMO. I know my WRX with factory subwoofer isn't the best benchmark, but I'm a little jealous that my wife's vehicle is far superior in that regard. :) We are unsophisticated stereo listeners, though, for what it's worth. We just like bass! In my car, I'd rather listen to my intake and exhaust noise, though...

·
Banned
23 Posts
I have the HK 7 speaker system in my 13 Outback and imho it sucks. No sound at all for the rear and very flat overall, no power or depth. My system in my 11 F350 is wonderful comparatively, and I thought that was the worst factory stereo I'd ever had prior to this.

·
Registered
103 Posts
FWIW If you're 'really' into audio, for less than the cost of going to the HK w/Navi, you could definitely go aftermarket and have something that would put any OE system to shame.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
... The audio systems are very important to me... because I really would like the best audio.
Only you (with your ears) can answer that.<O:p</O:p
Wife’s OB has the HK, my Accord has aftermarket with a Rockford Fosgate 12” bass reflex tube (no, I don’t play rap). IOW, the Accord wins.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have the HK 7 speaker system in my 13 Outback and imho it sucks. No sound at all for the rear and very flat overall, no power or depth. My system in my 11 F350 is wonderful comparatively, and I thought that was the worst factory stereo I'd ever had prior to this.
Replace its brain!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts