Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The 2013 Outback install is very easy, the instructions that come with it are ok, I found an on line PDF that was more a little more helpful and used it. The fog lights can be mounted in a few minutes, just four push tabs to remove on each side between the front tire and bumper for access to remove the fog light cover. The lights install from the front and are side specific. Just two small nuts and two push tabs hold them in place. The connector is easy to see taped to the side with a red connector.

The good news is the fog light switch is integrated next to the mirror adjust ment knob. So no need to mess with the stearing wheel and remove the head light stalk. Just remove the small door that covers the fuses and push out the side cover from the inside. Remove the two screws and the front lower part of the dash will release pretty easy to see the back of the switch. There is one missing step however, the instructions say to use a small screw flat blade driver behind the switch to loosen the four tabs that hold the switch to the front panel. The lights do fill the area I front of and to the sides very well, I also think they look better that the plastic cover.

The issue is the tabs are not on each side, but located on the top and bottom. The tabs are not visible, although little arrows point to there location, and you can use the new switch to see what they look like. You can get the two top ones to release, but the bottom ones are almost impossible. Rather than damage the plastic trying to get them out. The easy solution is to remove the four small Phillips screws that hold the whole connector assembly to the front panel.

Once those are out the small assembly with multiple connectors comes out and you can access the bottom of the switch that you need to remove much easier. This extra step would have saved me about 20 minutes. I put the relay in last and did not button up the area behind the fog lights until after I had adjusted the height of each fog light in the garage. I raised them up just enough so that the top of the fog light just about touched the bottom of the regular head light beam and that worked out pretty well. If I did another one it would take less than 30 minutes now that I know that trick.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i
2 Posts
Thanks for this post, I just installed fog lights and the tweeter kit in my '13 base model. The tip about removing the entire switch assembly really helped. Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 Ice Silver 6MT
36 Posts
Thank you Westcoasthd. You are a lifesaver with the removing 4 screws trick. I might have given up otherwise. I don't know what crazy ass tools or tiny hands they expected people to have. Shorty screwdriver still a must.

In the process I did drop one of the four screws and it slid down somewhere I can't reach. But I can't hear any rattle so I guess I'm OK. Three screws seem to hold the panel just as well as four... but maybe I'll go back in there and replace it. Well, probably not if I risk dropping another screw.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5 6MT
22 Posts
This was extremely helpful for the installation, especially the part about removing the 4 phillip head screws to remove the entire connector and allow better access to the fog light switch.

·
Registered
11 OB 6 speed
25 Posts
I did the install on my 2011 and as you mentioned the hardest part was removing the switch. I slid two razor blades from a utility knife, one on the bottom one on the top. After the razor blades were slid in I pushed the switch out. Wish I read your post before setting out.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i Manual
110 Posts
So here is where I'm confused...
The owner's manual shows the fog light switch as being part of the turn signal stalk. But there are also pictures of the fog lights being a button next to the mirror adjustment knob.

Are these cars wired to work both ways? I've found both options for sale, but I'm not sure which to get for a 2014 base.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts