Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i CVT in White, Codename: Ditto.
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm the happy owner of a brand new 2013 2.5i base model.

And I find that the Bluetooth doesn't seem to understand what I'm saying.

When I tried to pair the phone the system said I couldn't use the name "Dave's Phone" because that apparently sounds too much like the voice command "cancel" :gasp:

Once I got it paired, on like the 10th try, I was expecting my phonebook to load and be useable. But nope, apparently that only works in 4 year old Ford Escapes. Where I've intuitively paired this phone in under 3 minutes without reading any manuals or asking for any help.

So, without the phonebook loading, I tried the "dial by number" function. No matter how many times I've tried to dial by number the system hears "two" as "zero" or adds numbers I didn't say making phone numbers longer than they should be. Or it says "pardon?" as if it's deaf when I spoke loudly and clearly. Is there a microphone volume?

Eventually I had to manually program my home phone number to even test if a call could be made. Thankfully it worked.

But a voice operated system is useless to me if it cannot understand when I enunciate as clearly as an English tutor.

Anyone else having this problem? And what about the phonebook...is that supposed to auto load or am I going to have to manually input 100's of contact phone numbers?

The phone is, admittedly, a POS that I despise. A Motorola Citrus. But, like I said, it paired with a Ford Escape effortlessly. My former employer used Escapes as company cars, and I would pair the phone anytime I used one. In less time than I typed this post.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
It's not the phone's fault.

Modern outbacks come with junk stereos, you'd be well advised to get an aftermarket system. Even the cheapest aftermarket setups are considerably better quality than the stuff Subaru has been bolting in of late.

The good news is that it's not that hard to change, compared to some new cars.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
Have you tried making a phone call and seeing if the person on the other end can hear you clearly? The BT voice command uses the same mic, so if the person you are calling can't hear you clearly (ie buzzing or static) maybe something is wrong with your microphone. Otherwise if they CAN hear you loud and clear then it may just be the system - do you have an accent possibly?

But for the record, I set mine up on the first time with no issues and the system understood all my commands with no problem.

My mother on the other hand bought a new Escape a couple years back and had the same type of issue. It turned out to be a bad microphone, she took it back to they dealer and they replaced it - she hasn't had a problem since.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i CVT in White, Codename: Ditto.
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried making a phone call and seeing if the person on the other end can hear you clearly? The BT voice command uses the same mic, so if the person you are calling can't hear you clearly (ie buzzing or static) maybe something is wrong with your microphone. Otherwise if they CAN hear you loud and clear then it may just be the system - do you have an accent possibly?

But for the record, I set mine up on the first time with no issues and the system understood all my commands with no problem.

My mother on the other hand bought a new Escape a couple years back and had the same type of issue. It turned out to be a bad microphone, she took it back to they dealer and they replaced it - she hasn't had a problem since.
After I manually input the phone number I was able to make a call, and my wife could hear me fine. She said it was a little choppy at the end of my words, but that is typical from my experience.

So I think the mic is working.

I don't have an accent, no. Unless "Jersey" is an accent :)

I was thinking last night that maybe I'm speaking too fast. That IS a NYC Metropolitan area problem.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 w/CVT
18 Posts
I too had a problem with the system understanding the phone numbers I was telling it.
No matter how slow and deliberate I read the numbers off it would either miss or add numbers .
I was not sure where the microphone was so I was instinctively speaking at the stereo. I did however notice a small blue light up near the sunroof and tried directing my voice at it without any change.
I found that if i just spoke in a normal tone, volume and rhythm it would capture the number correctly (after 20 trys for only 3 phone numbers).
Please keep in mind I only recently made the switch to a smart phone (IP4) and am learning as I go.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We just got a 2013 Outback Premium with the base stereo and are very disappointed with the Bluetooth. We both use iPhone 4S and have resorted to just using Siri to make our calls. Very disappointing that the system seems so antiquated.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i 6MT
28 Posts
We just got a 2013 Outback Premium with the base stereo and are very disappointed with the Bluetooth. We both use iPhone 4S and have resorted to just using Siri to make our calls. Very disappointing that the system seems so antiquated.
Unfortunately, this is the same route I go as well. Frustrating enough.:28:

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife just got a 2013 Outback Premium and the BT did the same thing. We would practically yell at the mic and have it come back by saying "Pardon?". It was ridiculous. So we took it in after the sales mgr called us to see how we liked the car. We told her the BT sucked. She asked us to bring it in to have it checked out. The Subaru master tech could not find anything wrong with it. We then did a test drive out on the streets and sure enough, even the tech couldn't get the BT to understand him.... it kept adding numbers to the phone number when all he kept saying was cancel. My wife thought it was funny. So long story short, they are replacing the mic on it. The tech said if that didn't fix it, they'll have to replace the entire BT system. By the way, does the BT only work when the radio is on? On my Infiniti, the BT is always on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts